PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx and Windows 8 Release Preview

Kyuzo
06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi all.
I bought months ago the ASUS G74Sx gaming laptop and I'm quite satisfied.

At the present time, I'm testing it under Windows 8 Release Preview (x64) and I can say that it works quite well.

-----------------
->IMPROVEMENTS<-
-----------------

- Faster notebook response;
- Faster loading times with some games (ex. Duke Nukem Forever), compared with Win7;
- NVIDIA VERDE 301.24 display drivers work like a charm (without installing NVIDIA Update);
- Win7 audio drivers (included Creative applets) also work with Win8;
- Intel TurboBoost gadget (updated to latest version) works perfectly.

-------------
->BAD NEWS<-
-------------

- ATK Package does not work (It worked perfectly with Win8 Consumer Preview), so keyboard backlight does not turn on and function keys don't work;
- Power4Gear Hybrid tool does not work.

If, like me, you are testing Win8 on this laptop, you can post your news/questions, issues/problems here.

@moderators: could you stick this thread as important, so everyone could read and use it? Thanks in advance.

Kyuzo

380mcn
06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
is there any way to have ATK package and Wireless Console working? is there any chance of having properties, compability tab, windows 7 to make it work?

also, how TF2 or max payne 3 run on win8?

P.S. I'm sticking with win7, if it isn't broken it doesn't need fixing.

Peregrine
06-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I installed Win8 in a Virtual Machine on my G53.
DO NOT install this over your existing install.
I personally hate it and will be sticking with WIn7.

zsld0423
06-06-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm running the Win8 Release Preview, and I have absolutely no problems with Power4Gear, the wireless console, or backlit keys. The ROG button by the power button is working great, no issues for me really at all. The boot up time is great, under 10sec with an SSD, and games seem to be running smoother (at least to me) since there's hardly anything in the background that's interfering.

I did a clean install instead of upgrading, and the process was pretty quick.

I'd recommend using the ATK 1.0.0014 driver instead of the .0015 driver. The .0015 one gave me some issues with controlling brightness on Win7, I haven't tried it on Win8 since .0014 has been working so well

If you want a makeshift start button, I recommend using Start8 by Stardock, really useful and still easy for me to get to my apps. The only time I have to see the full-screen metro is when the computer first starts up, and I just press enter to go to my desktop.

I'm also using the Nvidia 296.16 Driver, with no issues so far with Diablo 3 or World of Warcraft

iluvatar
06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I have not really looked at windows 8 in detail, but from what i've seen it seems like a step back.
Can you make windows 8 look exactly like windows 7?

In windows xp/vista you had a complete overview of thinks and normally it would only take you 1 click to get from 1 window to another. In windows 7 you already have this annoying change in the taskbar, where it regroups different windows thus requiring more time already (normally 2 clicks, or a bit of waiting) to switch between windows.
Now in the new windows I'm completely lost. I find it very hard to keep an overview, of what's going on with my computer.

I like to keep things sleek and simple (on the surface), that's why I've always used windows and not apple.

Peregrine
06-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I have not really looked at windows 8 in detail, but from what i've seen it seems like a step back.
Can you make windows 8 look exactly like windows 7?

No.

In windows 7 you already have this annoying change in the taskbar, where it regroups different windows thus requiring more time already (normally 2 clicks, or a bit of waiting) to switch between windows.

You can configure this the other way,

Right click taskbar > properties.
Look at TASKBAR BUTTONS options.

Scruffyhead
07-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Im running win8 on my G74sx. Works exept the sound, cursor issue and some hot key's not working.

For some reason the speakers makes a horrible scraping sound if i turn up the volume. Thought i had blown them but booting to win7 they work ok.

Also i have a typing issue in the middle of a sentence the cursor suddenly jumps to a random location. Have seen problems With this on Acer and some other's. Seems to be related to the touchpad.
And the hotkey for turning off the touchpad does not work :)

Scruffyhead

Zygomorphic
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I installed Win8 in a Virtual Machine on my G53.
DO NOT install this over your existing install.
I personally hate it and will be sticking with WIn7.

I have it in a VM right now, and have run it natively. If they would simply get rid of the Metro UI (or allow us to disable it) they would have a winner. Win 8 is a lot leaner than Win 7 (almost as good as LINUX) and I would believe that games run faster. The boot times are downright impressive...<1/2 of Windows 7. Microsoft made all these good changes, then proceeded to shovel this junk of a GUI on it. I think it is going to cost them in the desktop/laptop market, but only time will tell...

Peregrine
07-27-2012, 03:05 PM
I really tried to like Metro. I fully embraced it when I was testing it.
The NEWS app is so super slick... but it doesn't support the Touchpad scroll side-to-side??? Realy? You STILL have to go down and drag a little slider bar?
HATE
HATE
HATE

Microsoft is going for world doniation here borrowing heavily from the things that made Apple and Google such monsters Tablets and Phones.
And it may work.

TIme will tell.

I'm staying with 7 and will run 8 n a VM.
I have to as I make my living supporting MS products so I need to know these.

Gorman
07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
I have it in a VM right now, and have run it natively. If they would simply get rid of the Metro UI (or allow us to disable it) they would have a winner. Win 8 is a lot leaner than Win 7 (almost as good as LINUX) and I would believe that games run faster. The boot times are downright impressive...<1/2 of Windows 7. Microsoft made all these good changes, then proceeded to shovel this junk of a GUI on it. I think it is going to cost them in the desktop/laptop market, but only time will tell...
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quickly-easily-disable-metro-user-interface-windows-8/
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/restore-the-start-menu-and-disable-metro-ui-in-windows-8/18767
http://tech2.in.com/how-to/software/how-to-get-rid-of-windows-8-metro-ui/313582
http://www.mstechpages.com/2011/09/14/disable-metro-in-windows-8-developer-preview/

Or you could just switch to desktop view straight away and not care about permanently disabling Metro.

On the topic of W7 vs W8 size;
http://www.rt7lite.com/
You can easily reduce size by 50% Of course there are 100,000 linux distros, of them 99% are not light weight, so I don't know what you expect - I personally use a light weight ubuntu 10.04, and another sub distro of tiny-core, called "core". There's no way that a GUI environment with CLR will ever compete with pure CLI environments (by the way I'm just guessing you use pure CLI like me, judging from your hate of GUI).

I honestly can't see why people dislike Metro. For years we have been forced to use kludge like Rainmeter, Objectdock, Rocketdock, Stardock, in order to reach levels of customization and usability - especially to make the desktop ACTUALLY USEFUL. Having your email feeds, twitter, facebook, forum feeds, RSS, clocks, calendars, everything on your desktop - FINALLY THE DESKTOP DOES SOMETHING.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13649456/xlarge.jpg
Imagine that ^ but with metro UI keeping me up to date with all my accounts.

When all is said and done, it is very easy to just not use Metro, and you still come away with a heavily upgraded W7.

Peregrine
07-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Pfft. That's what my TABLET is for. ;)

Peregrine
07-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Just don't force it on me. It should in this version of Windows run like a program. So when I want full on "Connected mode" where my feeds all roll into one interface I can turn that on. It should not BE the OS at this point.

Zygomorphic
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
I have used Win8, but could not figure out how to go straight to the main desktop by default. Is there a way of doing so without using 3rd party utilities (I am open to Registry tweaks, however)? I use GUIs a lot more than the command line, so I am no great shakes there, but I am at least slightly competent (I am not afraid of bash/cmd.exe). With regards to the lightening up of Windows, I mentioned before that it is very true, and I really applaud M$ for making the right decision in this regard. The rest of the Win 8 GUI is very nice, it is just the metro UI that I dislike. I prefer less flashy GUIs, since they use less system resources. That is why I tend to run LXDE on LINUX. It is just pretty enough to be comfortable, but not so flashy that is chews up a ton of memory.

Gorman
07-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Just don't force it on me. It should in this version of Windows run like a program. So when I want full on "Connected mode" where my feeds all roll into one interface I can turn that on. It should not BE the OS at this point.
I guess, but you can turn it off.

OS often include a ton of **** that is not part of the OS... Browsers, file browsers, media players, all kinds of crap. The way Metro is made I'm sure in the final release it will be disableable easily.

I have used Win8, but could not figure out how to go straight to the main desktop by default. Is there a way of doing so without using 3rd party utilities (I am open to Registry tweaks, however)? I use GUIs a lot more than the command line, so I am no great shakes there, but I am at least slightly competent (I am not afraid of bash/cmd.exe). With regards to the lightening up of Windows, I mentioned before that it is very true, and I really applaud M$ for making the right decision in this regard. The rest of the Win 8 GUI is very nice, it is just the metro UI that I dislike. I prefer less flashy GUIs, since they use less system resources. That is why I tend to run LXDE on LINUX. It is just pretty enough to be comfortable, but not so flashy that is chews up a ton of memory.
The registry tweaks in the links I posted should work then.

Windows is made for machines with power to spare. If you have low powered then linux or an older windows distro (or custom made cut-down versions) is always going to be better.

No matter how hard I try a 1ghz single core can't handle W7 without me doing some trimming.

Swampthing
07-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Personally I have absolutely ZERO interest in Windows 8 due to the new crappy interface. XBox Live is much more difficult to navigate and is very confusing since they added the "Windows 8-like" interface a few months back, and I don't want that on my desktop too.

Zygomorphic
07-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Thanks, @gorman, I had not had time to check out the links until today. I will definitely try them in the next few days, and if they work adequetely, I may retry Win 8 on the bare-metal. With regards to old and slow machines, I think that my 16 GB of RAM lappy constitutes reasonable performance. :p I paid for that RAM for my use (VMs), not Windows. If Microsoft wants more RAM, they should subsidize RAM upgrades for all users of Windows. I have heard it said that programmers should be forced to develop on the slowest hardware that the program will support, as that will force them to think about the users.

Also, I happen to personal dislike fancy interfaces, nothing against those who do, but I don't that is one place where Win 8 beats Win 7/Vista. The flat scheme is much nicer. The Vista aero GUI was cool for all of ten minutes. Now I just ignore it. A few of the other features are nice though.

Gorman
07-29-2012, 02:40 AM
16GB should be enough for W8 (unless you run 4 copies in VMs, in which case expect a lil drop unless you limit them - but also blame the damn GPU manufacturer for not adding GPU virtualization! D:<)

I agree with that philosophy, and that is why web devs have to test on IE 6+ :(

You've seen my W7 in the desktop thread, so you probably have an idea of my opinions of GUI ;) My netbook runs in a CLI environment.

Zygomorphic
07-31-2012, 01:10 AM
What do you run on your netbook, out of curiosity? I run Fedora on my G53SX...my only computer. I use a GUI (presently KDE, but probably going back to LXDE...I really disliked GNOME 3...but that was better than Unity, because at least GNOME 3 worked). I use IE 9 and Firefox, because IE 6 is so commonly exploited and it doesn't support the latest web standards. :(

Gorman
07-31-2012, 03:42 AM
Bodhi Linux - it's a lightweight distro based on Ubuntu 10.04. The desktop manager it comes with is pretty good (Enlightenment), but CLI is just faster for most things. Pretty much the only three things that GUI does better is surfing the web (Lynx has no images/videos after all), steaming from media server (good luck doing this in CLI), and mounting network drives with samba (the GUI does it automatically so it saves a few lines).

rmcsc
09-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Bodhi Linux - it's a lightweight distro based on Ubuntu 10.04. The desktop manager it comes with is pretty good (Enlightenment), but CLI is just faster for most things. Pretty much the only three things that GUI does better is surfing the web (Lynx has no images/videos after all), steaming from media server (good luck doing this in CLI), and mounting network drives with samba (the GUI does it automatically so it saves a few lines).But then again you're basically ignoring the fact that your have a gaming computer.

Annoyed
10-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Just an aside, Win 8 Preview, the keyboard lights WILL work, but after startup, you have to put it in sleep mode, then when it wakes up, you get the lights.

Huh?

Zygomorphic
10-23-2012, 12:27 AM
But then again you're basically ignoring the fact that your have a gaming computer.

Except that he is running that on his netbook. I understand his reasoning, I have a gaming computer and often run light LINUX distros in order to increase the performance - I dislike animations.

dreaded4saken
11-06-2012, 03:13 PM
you can activate the keyboard shortcuts and functions by running the "HControl.exe" application found at C:\program files(x86)\asus\atk package\atk hotkey\HControl. :cool:

scareyasusforum
11-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I overlooked a previous post / answer, but I ran through all previous and didn't see this issue noted.

G74sx
16GB RAM
2x 500GB HD ST9500423AS
DVD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT34N

I'm a web and 3D interactive design / dev student and although I don't use my DVD very often, I still would like it to work.

I'm thinking about taking the suggestion of just downloading G75 VX drivers, but I didn't see it.
thanks,
Steve

Sumbodee
11-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I overlooked a previous post / answer, but I ran through all previous and didn't see this issue noted.

Just to clarify, is your BD drive not showing up at all or is it that you just can't play DVD movies?

If it's a situation where you can't play DVD movies, that's not a driver issue but a Windows 8 one. Windows 8 does not come with any native DVD playback support. That's the bad news. The good news is that you can restore DVD playback to your system for free by going to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs. From there you can request a key for Windows Media Center which will restore DVD playback. The only stipulations on this offer is that you must have or purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and that this must be done by January 31, 2013.

Edit: I should also mention that while Media Center does include the codecs for dvd playback they do NOT include the codecs necessary for Blu Ray. Also worth mentioning that the DVD playback is only supported in Media Center and not in Media Player.

pepeniva
11-08-2012, 07:50 AM
is there a way to enable those keys? and concerning about the power4gear hybrid? does I effect the performance? little concern about it

Zygomorphic
11-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Power4Gear doesn't really help or affect performance. It is simply an ASUS-branded way of tweaking the power settings available in Windows already. It simply has the effect of switching power profiles via a button rather than the system tray. Don't worry about it. :)