PDA

View Full Version : G74sx Laptop Screen Unreliable

Buckslice
06-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Hello, I bought my G74sx lappy back in January and I love it, really performs well. But I have a tragic tale to tell you all, so gather round and listen, in hopes that you can help me solve the mystery as to why my laptop's screen doesn't turn on.

It all began back in April after I took my laptop on a short 3 hour car ride to a hotel me and my fam were staying at, when we got there I opened it up to play, but the screen didn't turn on. Upon coming home and plugging it into another monitor the next day, I found that everything else was working properly, its just the screen was dead or something. So after trying that static removal trick by holding down power with the battery out and stuff multiple times, I called Asus. They told me to try that some more, which I did, but it didn't work, so they said I could send it in for repairs. I did this, and a week or two later I got the laptop back and it was working perfectly once again (they said they replaced the motherboard tho...?). However, about two days ago, I went over to my friends house who lives literally 3 minutes away and after we played some deeblo 3, I came home put my laptop down and turned it on, SCREEN DEAD AGAIN. tried all that battery **** just incase but no luck. Then randomly yesterday while me and my sis were playing SC2 together (she on my screen dead laptop with external monitor, me on desktop) the laptop screen turned on in the middle of the game, MAGIC!!! She said she didn't hit anything that would cause it to do this... and of course today I turn it on, screen dead again.

SO BASICALLY I'm thinking my laptop is extremely feeble whenever it moves anywhere. Though I have no clue whats going on with this and I was hoping to get some help from this forum. I'm thinking about sending it back again but I also kinda want to open it up and see if its just a loosely secured video cable or something (plus other things I would like to look at, such as weird rattling sound problems). I know that doing this would void my warranty, so I'm still thinking about my options here.

TL;DR: laptop screen stopped turning on after couple months, send it in to fix, works for a while, problem resurfaces and goes into remission randomly now. please help!

Thank ya kindly,
Buckslice :o

ps: thanks for all those useful threads for helping out with installing drivers and stuff, those were great!
edit: spelling lol!

dstrakele
06-06-2012, 12:36 PM
From what I've read in this forum, the prognosis is not good for a "boot to black screen" issue. They are most likely hardware problems. Since the external monitor works in your case, a bad LVDS cable connection, bad LVDS cable, or bad display are likely causes. I would be tempted to try and reseat the LDVS cable.

380mcn
06-06-2012, 04:06 PM
i agree with dstrakele, bad lvds cable..
my g74 travels in the back of my car and it has fallen a few times. no problems to report.

Buckslice
06-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Would disassembling the laptop and getting to the LVDS cable void my warranty?

dstrakele
06-07-2012, 02:01 AM
http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525 is a disassembly guide for the G74SX with photos, one of which shows the LVDS cable and its connection to the motherboard. You can get there without removing any of the yellow stickers that void the warranty. However if you create "user induced damage" to get to that point that is detected at the repair center, it will void your warranty.

There is also no guarantee a reseat of this cable will resolve your issue.