PDA

View Full Version : G75 from BB, and upgrades available.

Patrickm239
06-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Hey I've been doing alot of reading here on the forums, I've done some shopping around and I'm about 90% decided this thing is the way to go for my deployment computer. I'm just a little curious if I'm reading everything right about a few upgrades to get the most out of the lower end Bestbuy machine. My plan is to put a SSD, 8GB, and a blu-ray player to the mix to give me some bang for a few bucks.

I've been looking at these products in particular which seem to have great reviews as well as be able to interface with the G75 well.

Intel 520 series 120gb SSD
Kingston HyperX 8gb(2x4gb)
Panasonic UJ240 6x Blu-ray Burner BD-RE/8x DVD±RW DL SATA Drive (Black)"

Just wondering of these three upgrades will hold longevity til the end of my warranty or should I be looking elsewhere in term of upgrades. Also what problems will I encounter other than the SSD issues everyone has been having involving OS migration and BIOS not recognizing the new hard drive. This is my first time tinkering with a laptop so I'll be deffinately be sifting through these forums with a comb In the near future. Thanks for any input anyone has and thanks for the other thread contributors posting there success and failures to bring the issues to light.

Daylife
06-07-2012, 02:08 AM
If you want to upgrade that much i would recommend spending a little more and just get a better overall version of the G75, unless you really really want to do the upgrades yourself.

Patrickm239
06-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Sorry I left a little info out I guess, I chose the bestbuy version since I had black tie on my last laptop that took a dirt nap prematurely so they junked it and gave me 1199.98 towards the purchase ofmy new laptop so in this case I got the g75 from bestbuy for 50 bucks, I figured doing these upgrades myself would at least bring it up to the level of one of the pricier rigs.

Cecil_2099
06-07-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm not entirely positive on this, but swapping out the optical drive *might* void your warranty as it's not supposed to be a user-replaceable part like the HDD or empty RAM sticks.

m3rcer
06-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Not sure if putting the blu-ray does void the warranty either, but it really shouldn't. I did it, and it only took minutes to do. One mounting screw under the main panel, transfer the bracket to the new drive, replace the bezel, reinstall. Real easy.

I will say, spend the extra money and get a 240-256gb SSD. I got a 128gb myself, and I feel I shoulda went bigger even tho I do use a 750gb secondary HDD for storage.

Patrickm239
06-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm deffinately going to switch to a larger SSD now that you bring it up. I've heard that 2x250 gbs setup in raid confit is the way to go(is that right). I'm a little confused as to how that works though. Until I get both SSDs though just planning on one SSD and the 1tb 5400rpm that came with the machine for my junk storage.. What setup would these be in to function properly? Or now that I think on it should I scrap the double SSD idea and pick up a WD Black 750gb and swap out the terribad stock HDD and keep it that way?

john_from_ohio
06-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm deffinately going to switch to a larger SSD now that you bring it up. I've heard that 2x250 gbs setup in raid confit is the way to go(is that right). I'm a little confused as to how that works though. Until I get both SSDs though just planning on one SSD and the 1tb 5400rpm that came with the machine for my junk storage.. What setup would these be in to function properly? Or now that I think on it should I scrap the double SSD idea and pick up a WD Black 750gb and swap out the terribad stock HDD and keep it that way?

Most of us here are quite happy with single SSD setup ( with operating system and applications ) and data/games on other drive.

Most people could by quite well with a 120 gb 520 ( but I have the 180 gb version ) and the performance of the intel is incredible.

Start by turning off immediately ( uninstalling ) the asus live update utility as that has bricked quite a few people by doing a BIOS upgrade thru windows winflash. Follow that up by installing latest version of asus AI recovery utility and then burn yourself a set of recovery DVD's.

Cecil has a good thread about how to use the recovery DVD's to re-install onto the SSD ( while current drive is pulled out ).

Any decent 1600 memory upgrade ( samsung/kingston/corsair ) should be just peachy.

I am doing eventually the same blue ray upgrade but you will need some additional player software probably after that install.

jdog1473
06-09-2012, 11:29 AM
the blu ray drive is a super easy install. I highly doubt it would void your warranty....one screw to slide it out.

I did mine in about 3 minutes...

Patrickm239
06-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. The g75 is currently undergoing restore as I type this and I find myself debating on what secondary hard drive to install.

Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

What would be the better overall choice in terms of reliability/performance? Both come highly reviewed and rated but I was hoping to get some input from actual ROG users as to performance in G series laptops.

john_from_ohio
06-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Patrick:

Both of those drives are probably dang good ... I have one of the western digital ones in a different system ... works just peachy.

If you are already installing an SSD as the primary drive I for one do not see any big tangible benefit for a hybrid drive as a secondary drive.

The stock drive 1 TB in the new G75VW BBK5 that is labeled seagate apparently is actually a samsung 1 TB 5400 drive with 2 platters and gets dang decent reviews ( well at least some of those drives are the samsung one ). There really ain't nothing wrong with that drive and if one already has recovery DVDs ... well the need to actually keep the original one "intact" is dramatically reduced unless you are really paranoid.

Me personally ... I was keeping my 1 TB pulled out "until" I completed doing some recoveries using the DVDs ... and it is now "back in play" although not actually deployed in other machines.

Patrickm239
06-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks again all the responders here, Cecils guide worked perfectly and with the step by step there was no way I could mess it up. Memory and the Blu-Ray going in tomorrow. These forums are awesome because of the guys that take to time and share their knowledge a little, I wish I had this resource when I was experiencing problems with my G73...

Patrickm239
06-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Just a quick update. Memory and Blu-Ray drive went in flawless, everything is running strong. Thanks again to contributors. Time for some latenight stress tests of BF3 and Diablo3.

m3rcer
06-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Just a quick update. Memory and Blu-Ray drive went in flawless, everything is running strong. Thanks again to contributors. Time for some latenight stress tests of BF3 and Diablo3.

Congrats, man! Enjoy!

Cecil_2099
06-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Great to hear. Glad my guide helped walk you through the process!

_
06-11-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm not entirely positive on this, but swapping out the optical drive *might* void your warranty as it's not supposed to be a user-replaceable part like the HDD or empty RAM sticks.

To confirm: Swapping the optical drive is fine. It requires just one screw removed from the normal user accessible area, then the drive can pull out. It will not void the warranty (just keep the old drive in case you gotta put it back ;))

sushrukh
07-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Not sure if putting the blu-ray does void the warranty either, but it really shouldn't. I did it, and it only took minutes to do. One mounting screw under the main panel, transfer the bracket to the new drive, replace the bezel, reinstall. Real easy.

the blu ray drive is a super easy install. I highly doubt it would void your warranty....one screw to slide it out.

I did mine in about 3 minutes...

Hey guys i need a help from you guys.Mine is coming with a Blu Ray rom but i want to replace it with a Burner which i have already purchased.LG BT20N.

Could you guys who have done it Please show me how to do it ? A clear picture of what to do would be highly appreciated. :)

Waiting for your reply.

Thank You. :)

Sarp
10-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi guys. First of all, big props to owners of g55 and g75. I love these laptops and this was my first Asus notebook purchase. Someone on another thread gave a link to Asus Store for the Blu ray burner and it is 144$ there and currently out of stock. I found better deals on Ebay for around 65-75$.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4718

I searched uj240 model on Ebay and there are plenty however the Asus site shows the model as (UJ240/ABAL-A). I want to point you to the "ABAL-A" part. Does it have to be ABAL-A or any uj240 variation will do?

Ex:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ship-Worldwide-NEW-Panasonic-UJ-240-Slim-Laptop-Blu-ray-Burner-Drive-/280819563629?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item4162267c6d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ship-Worldwide-NEW-Panasonic-UJ-240-Slim-Laptop-Blu-ray-Burner-Drive-NEW-/300710714740?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item4603c15d74

Also, while installing this drive, will the bezel that comes with OEM, fit G75? It seems that the uj240's bezels are rectangular but the g75 original DVD writer gets slimmer towards the front! Anybody cen enlighten me??? Thanks...
Sarp

tkolarik
10-31-2012, 02:16 AM
With the Intel 520 series, the 120 GB and smaller have 25000 IOPS (input/output operations per second) reading data. The larger ones have twice that.

Sarp
10-31-2012, 10:20 PM
Hellooooo. Anyone there :)

john_from_ohio
10-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey I've been doing alot of reading here on the forums, I've done some shopping around and I'm about 90% decided this thing is the way to go for my deployment computer. I'm just a little curious if I'm reading everything right about a few upgrades to get the most out of the lower end Bestbuy machine. My plan is to put a SSD, 8GB, and a blu-ray player to the mix to give me some bang for a few bucks.

I've been looking at these products in particular which seem to have great reviews as well as be able to interface with the G75 well.

Intel 520 series 120gb SSD
Kingston HyperX 8gb(2x4gb)
Panasonic UJ240 6x Blu-ray Burner BD-RE/8x DVD±RW DL SATA Drive (Black)"

Sounds like the upgrades I put in my computer ... the blue ray drive install is a piece of cake but you will need other software to play blue ray dvds.

The intel 520 drive is a beast and rock solid and ( unlike other brands ) I am unaware of anyone reporting any issues with it in our G75 systems. Best buy has same drive but in 180 gb available at just over 150 bucks right now ... but 120 gb should be fine.

Any regular DDR3 1600 memory should work as long as latency is CL 11 ... the CL 9 stuff will downclock your RAM from mismatch with factory installed 2 sticks.

Good luck!

Sorry ... just noticed how old first post in this thread was!

bignazpwns
11-01-2012, 04:43 AM
Sounds like the upgrades I put in my computer ... the blue ray drive install is a piece of cake but you will need other software to play blue ray dvds.

The intel 520 drive is a beast and rock solid and ( unlike other brands ) I am unaware of anyone reporting any issues with it in our G75 systems. Best buy has same drive but in 180 gb available at just over 150 bucks right now ... but 120 gb should be fine.

Any regular DDR3 1600 memory should work as long as latency is CL 11 ... the CL 9 stuff will downclock your RAM from mismatch with factory installed 2 sticks.

Good luck!

Sorry ... just noticed how old first post in this thread was!

The 520 uses a Sandforce. And is pretty much the same drive "NANDS and controler" as other drives like the Kingston HyperX. I still pick a Samsung 830 over a Intel 520 any day of the week.

madnj
11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
If I had to add one thing to the list of things to get, I'd get an optical bay HDD adapter so that you can pop in the 1TB drive for storage. Personally I NEVER use my optical drive, so having a 3rd hard drive would be very useful. You can always pull it out and put the optical in if you need to use it, but having another HDD bay for storage would be nice.

I personally have 1.75TB between my 750GB Momentus XT and 1TB storage drive, and if I do anything it'll be to add an SSD and get an optical drive adapter so I can have all 3.

sushrukh
11-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Hi guys. First of all, big props to owners of g55 and g75. I love these laptops and this was my first Asus notebook purchase. Someone on another thread gave a link to Asus Store for the Blu ray burner and it is 144$ there and currently out of stock. I found better deals on Ebay for around 65-75$.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4718

I searched uj240 model on Ebay and there are plenty however the Asus site shows the model as (UJ240/ABAL-A). I want to point you to the "ABAL-A" part. Does it have to be ABAL-A or any uj240 variation will do?

Ex:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ship-Worldwide-NEW-Panasonic-UJ-240-Slim-Laptop-Blu-ray-Burner-Drive-/280819563629?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item4162267c6d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ship-Worldwide-NEW-Panasonic-UJ-240-Slim-Laptop-Blu-ray-Burner-Drive-NEW-/300710714740?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Drives&hash=item4603c15d74

Also, while installing this drive, will the bezel that comes with OEM, fit G75? It seems that the uj240's bezels are rectangular but the g75 original DVD writer gets slimmer towards the front! Anybody cen enlighten me??? Thanks...
Sarp

Get the LG BT20N.Great BD-RE Burner.I personally am using it on my lappy.Search " LG BT20N " in eBay.

And No the bezel which will come with any other source other than ASUS will have a different Bezel.You will need to get the Original ASUS Bezel mounted on the Burner you are buying.It takes only 1 minute.Remove the Bezel from the stock drive & get it mounted on the purchased drive after you remove the Bezel from the purchased drive.

Sarp
11-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Get the LG BT20N.Great BD-RE Burner.I personally am using it on my lappy.Search " LG BT20N " in eBay.

And No the bezel which will come with any other source other than ASUS will have a different Bezel.You will need to get the Original ASUS Bezel mounted on the Burner you are buying.It takes only 1 minute.Remove the Bezel from the stock drive & get it mounted on the purchased drive after you remove the Bezel from the purchased drive.

So you are using this with Asus g75? I am about to buy one from Ebay but need to be sure this will work with my G75! I appreciate your reply. He he eventhough it is Blu ray, the bezel will show dvd lol. I wish they sold bezels as well...

sushrukh
11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
So you are using this with Asus g75? I am about to buy one from Ebay but need to be sure this will work with my G75! I appreciate your reply. He he eventhough it is Blu ray, the bezel will show dvd lol. I wish they sold bezels as well...
No , not using with G75 but any Sata Optical Drive will fit in G75 or any Laptop with Sata Optical bay for that matter.Yes the Bezel will show DVD-RW because no 3rd party Bezel will fit ASUS Laptops as they are custom designed for each model.So, you will have to use the Bezel which came with your stock Optical drive.

Do Not worry , any Sata based Optical drive will fit in G75 & so will LG BT20N.LG BT20N is also Blu-Ray 3D capable.So, if anyone has bought a 3D Lappy , they will be able to play 3D Blu-Ray movies using this drive. :)

Sarp
11-06-2012, 01:19 AM
No , not using with G75 but any Sata Optical Drive will fit in G75 or any Laptop with Sata Optical bay for that matter.Yes the Bezel will show DVD-RW because no 3rd party Bezel will fit ASUS Laptops as they are custom designed for each model.So, you will have to use the Bezel which came with your stock Optical drive.

Do Not worry , any Sata based Optical drive will fit in G75 & so will LG BT20N.LG BT20N is also Blu-Ray 3D capable.So, if anyone has bought a 3D Lappy , they will be able to play 3D Blu-Ray movies using this drive. :)

Purchased it just now from Ebay. 60$. It is manufactured in 2012 March so it is basically new type of burner. The other panasonic models uj220 or smt were 2010 models. Seems like a nice burner what you recommended to me. I really appreciate your help. Now I am about to get an SSD 128gb. :)

Sarp
11-06-2012, 01:30 AM

Seems like i got a good deal as this is 100$ in other places. If you want to see what you drive is capable of, check it here:

http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-BT20N

The features are cool :) Thanks again for the recommendation :cool:

sushrukh
11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Seems like i got a good deal as this is 100$ in other places. If you want to see what you drive is capable of, check it here:

http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-BT20N

The features are cool :) Thanks again for the recommendation :cool:

My pleasure. :)

Yes the other burners don't support 3D Blu-Rays as far as I know.Also supports the BDXL discs , so it is perfectly Future-proof. :)

Also for the SSD , get an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB which I am also using.Excellent drive with frequent Firmware updates from OCZ & enhancing speed & performance with each Firmware release.I bet , you won't be disappointed. :)

Model Number :- VTX4-25SAT3-128G

bignazpwns
11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
My pleasure. :)

Yes the other burners don't support 3D Blu-Rays as far as I know.Also supports the BDXL discs , so it is perfectly Future-proof. :)

Also for the SSD , get an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB which I am also using.Excellent drive with frequent Firmware updates from OCZ & enhancing speed & performance with each Firmware release.I bet , you won't be disappointed. :)

Model Number :- VTX4-25SAT3-128G

Till he gets a blue screen what i have had more on just the Vertex series then all the other brands combined.

SSD's in order

Samsung 840 pro
Samsung 830
Intel 520
Kingston HyperX "Same controller and and ic's as the intel 520 but usually runs slightly faster"
Plextor M5 Pro "Anyone who knows anything about computers know that plextor does not make crap. These SSD's are awesome"

I personally use a lot of SSD's. I started when they first came out testing benching etc. You name it i used it at some point. From my experiences most of my ssd issues about 90% of them came from OCZ's. I will say i never ever had a issue with any ssd's from samsung, intel or kingston. I have not had any with plextors but i have not used them enough to say that i stand behind them.

sushrukh
11-06-2012, 02:24 PM
I personally use a lot of SSD's. I started when they first came out testing benching etc. You name it i used it at some point. From my experiences most of my ssd issues about 90% of them came from OCZ's. I will say i never ever had a issue with any ssd's from samsung, intel or kingston. I have not had any with plextors but i have not used them enough to say that i stand behind them.

I think that must be personal bad lucks with the company.I am using SSDs when they first started coming into the US market.I have used Intel , Corsair , OCZ , Samsung , Mushkin & Kingston V200 Series SSDs & total about 20 pieces of SSDs so far.Not used Plextor though , so can't comment on that. ;)

Currently I use 9 OCZ SSDs in different machines & they never let me down for a single moment.

I think the performance ( with latest Firmware ) is unbeatable for the price.

@Sarp , Read some online reviews & choose your SSD wisely.

Also any SSD you buy , make sure you update the SSD to it's latest FW before installing an OS on it.Make sure you know properly how to update the FW & take all the necessary precautions to update an SSD FW.

I would personally advise you to perform the FW update on a desktop ( with UPS or Battery Backup ) before you install the SSD in your G75.

Just as a precaution , the FW update process should not be interrupted because if your machine gets shuts down , stuck or restarts in-between the FW update process , you may have a bricked SSD ( any company ).

I am not trying to scare you , just some friendly suggestions because I don't know if you have bought/used any SSDs before or not.

Best of luck in your SSD purchase ( whatever company you choose ). :)

bignazpwns
11-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I think that must be personal bad lucks with the company.I am using SSDs when they first started coming into the US market.I have used Intel , Corsair , OCZ , Samsung , Mushkin & Kingston V200 Series SSDs & total about 20 pieces of SSDs so far.Not used Plextor though , so can't comment on that. ;)

Currently I use 9 OCZ SSDs in different machines & they never let me down for a single moment.

I think the performance ( with latest Firmware ) is unbeatable for the price.

@Sarp , Read some online reviews & choose your SSD wisely.

Also any SSD you buy , make sure you update the SSD to it's latest FW before installing an OS on it.Make sure you know properly how to update the FW & take all the necessary precautions to update an SSD FW.

I would personally advise you to perform the FW update on a desktop ( with UPS or Battery Backup ) before you install the SSD in your G75.

Just as a precaution , the FW update process should not be interrupted because if your machine gets shuts down , stuck or restarts in-between the FW update process , you may have a bricked SSD ( any company ).

I am not trying to scare you , just some friendly suggestions because I don't know if you have bought/used any SSDs before or not.

Best of luck in your SSD purchase ( whatever company you choose ). :)

Really because i can find cheaper and faster SSD's then the Vertex4's/ And with a SSd speed is nothing. When you start doing what OCZ does to the firmwares to get better numbers in benches you dont gain anything in real world outside some nice BSOD's

Vertex 4 is $208 for 256gb 531 read 453 write
Samsung 840 840 is $199 560 read 540 write.

Hmmm the 840 is not only cheaper but its faster and more reliable. And price/ performance the Kingston HyperX 3k's destroy the Vertex 4 and the HyperX 3k's are the same price as the Samsung 840'. When people are asked what SSD to buy the Vertex 4 is never one of them that is recommended its always been the Samsung 830 or the Intel 520.

I have personally used every main SSD people consider that is on the market. My recommendations are the same as everyone from top enthusiast to it professionals. Am i going to recamend something because i use it? Nope if it sucks i'll call it out i dont care i would rather save someone some issue or money then have someone to bond with about how we mad a bad choice on a crap component. more then 1/2 of this forum will recamend a Samsung 830. About 25% will say Intel 520. Not that they know the product most dont but some do but its because they did some research and found it to be the most recommended and highly awarded.

sushrukh
11-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Really because i can find cheaper and faster SSD's then the Vertex4's/ And with a SSd speed is nothing. When you start doing what OCZ does to the firmwares to get better numbers in benches you dont gain anything in real world outside some nice BSOD's

Vertex 4 is $208 for 256gb 531 read 453 write
Samsung 840 840 is $199 560 read 540 write.

Hmmm the 840 is not only cheaper but its faster and more reliable. And price/ performance the Kingston HyperX 3k's destroy the Vertex 4 and the HyperX 3k's are the same price as the Samsung 840'. When people are asked what SSD to buy the Vertex 4 is never one of them that is recommended its always been the Samsung 830 or the Intel 520.

I have personally used every main SSD people consider that is on the market. My recommendations are the same as everyone from top enthusiast to it professionals. Am i going to recamend something because i use it? Nope if it sucks i'll call it out i dont care i would rather save someone some issue or money then have someone to bond with about how we mad a bad choice on a crap component. more then 1/2 of this forum will recamend a Samsung 830. About 25% will say Intel 520. Not that they know the product most dont but some do but its because they did some research and found it to be the most recommended and highly awarded.

I don't want to indulge myself into more argument.We both have posted our opinions & now Let the buyer decide what he wants.

He wants to buy the 128GB.And your first recommendation was Samsung 840 Pro.And Sammy 840 Pro 128 GB is Definitely NOT cheaper than Vertex 4 128GB.It is much more expensive actually.

@ Sarp :- Here is the price difference from Amazon between Vertex 4 & Samsung 830/840 Pro 128 GB models.

1) Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB ( $175.99 ) :- http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-SATA_6_0_gb-MZ-7PD128BW/dp/B009NB8WR0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352219082&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+840+pro

2) Samsung 830 ( $116.62 ) :- http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC128D-AM/dp/B005T3GPXE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1352219167&sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+840+128gb

3) OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB ( $109.99 ) :- http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Industrys-Warranty/dp/B007R1FH3K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

End of discussion.Let the buyer decide what to buy.

Sarp
11-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Guys I am not getting into argument but if you want to add an SSD to your laptop, I have 2 recommendations.

Intel 330 Maple SSD's and Samsung 830 or the newer model 840.

I've done tons of research about these 2 models over 3-4 days and these both got 5 stars from almost everyone. Just got Intel 330 180GB Sata 3 MLC SSD from Ebay for 127$ free shipping. I can't wait to have it in my Asus G-75...

Sarp
11-06-2012, 07:32 PM
sushrukh,

I ended up buying the Intel 330 SSD. I was gonna get 128GB Samsung 830 for 92$ but decide to pay more for GB's and ended up buying the 180GB Intel 330 SSD. Samsung does not have a 180GB model but a 256 and they are around 170-180$ cheapest. Also the newer 840's have 2 models. 840 and 840 pro. Read reviews all over and they say that not much performance difference between 830-840 but difference will be between 830 and 840 pro. 840 pro 256 was 200$ so I did not want to buy that. I think 127$ is great price for a 180GB and everyone says that Intels are very reliable along with Samsungs. The only OCZ product that I ever used was a power supply and I was happy with it but many customers complain about OCZ SSDs and people say they might go down soon. So I would listen others views about OCZ generally. Intel and Samsung are huge companies with great tech dudes behind them so I usually don't hesitate to choose them. I mean some might have luck without having any issues with OCS SSDs but from my research, I found out that OCZ SSDs are not reliable so I opted out their SSDs. Thanks again for the help and I loving this group of people :) BTY, I am very tech savvy and I know computers very well (Both operating and PC building) however this will be my first SSD and I will upgrade the firmware as you advised. Thanks again...

sushrukh
11-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Glad that you are satisfied with your purchase.

Sarp
11-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Glad that you are satisfied with your purchase. 13458

Satisfaction will come once this is in my computer and works without any problems. Bty, I was checking amazon and youtube, the instruction manual was showing a connection to the laptop via a weird looking cable! This can also fit in a laptop right? I had this slight hesitation like "What the heck is this, this won't fit my laptop or what" lol :)

rewben
11-06-2012, 10:26 PM
@Sarp, i think what you saw is the data transfer cable. there is no need to put it on to make the ssd work.

one of the reasons i stay away from ocz vertex 4 is this one (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6074/ocz-vertex-4-review-128gb) (another one, same topic (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vertex-4-firmware-benchmark,3245.html)).

bignazpwns
11-07-2012, 02:11 AM
ouch i would of passed on the 330. Those are very low on the iop's and writes and only have 3 year warranties and not 5 year like the 520's. Also compaired to other drives they are pretty low on the 4k iops's

Sarp
11-07-2012, 07:37 AM
ouch i would of passed on the 330. Those are very low on the iop's and writes and only have 3 year warranties and not 5 year like the 520's. Also compaired to other drives they are pretty low on the 4k iops's

Well I am not that picky. There is always going to be better. If I bought a 520, in a few months it would be considered slow when a new model came. There is no end to this you know. As long as it is fast, that is all i care. I researched a lot and 830 and 330's were the ones with 5 stars in newegg and amazon so I purchased it. I really don't think I will care about iops and beep :)

sushrukh
11-07-2012, 01:02 PM
If Vertex 4 ( 128GB $109.99 ) was that bad Amazon users would not have given it 4.4/5 Stars & Newegg users 4/5 Stars.The people who have said that Vertex 4 is bad have never used Vertex 4's personally I would presume.WIth the latest FW , any previous issue/s have been resolved.

If a company is not too sure & confident about their products , they would never provide a 5 Years Warranty on their Product.

But anyways , everybody has their personal opinions & happy that the buyer is happy with his purchase.That's all what it matters.

rewben
11-07-2012, 11:00 PM
@sushrukh, yes i never use vertex 4 before. maybe it's like what you said, the firmware upgrade to the now latest 1.5 fixed the problems (that's why i linked to the articles about 1.4 and 1.5 for reference).

about the rating at any site, i personally think it could be used as a reference for further research only (because i am always not sure if the users rated it before or after they have hit the said bottle neck).

at first, i also thought that warranty could serve as an indicator of how confident the company on their products. now i look for other indicators to support that, too.

sorry if i offended you. my purpose of posting is always to share what i know of (maybe useful, maybe not), in hope that the buyer can spend some time evaluating his choices, if he wanted to.

sushrukh
11-08-2012, 05:32 AM
sorry if i offended you. my purpose of posting is always to share what i know of (maybe useful, maybe not), in hope that the buyer can spend some time evaluating his choices, if he wanted to.

Nobody got offended. :)

It's Ok.No problem. :)

Sarp
11-10-2012, 09:38 PM
I wish ******* politicians were able to talk like we do here! Peace upon all the people in Asus threads lol :)

Zygomorphic
11-11-2012, 02:23 AM
I wish ******* politicians were able to talk like we do here! Peace upon all the people in Asus threads lol :)

Well-said @Sarp. There seems to be less partisanship around here than in Washington...maybe they should elect the ROG to run this nation. :D

Skull6
11-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Well-s...maybe they should elect the ROG to run this nation. :D

We'd be one high-speed, high-tech nation then, wouldn't we?! But I think the military might not find their new "red on black" camo scheme to be very effective...

Sarp
11-14-2012, 10:55 PM
We'd be one high-speed, high-tech nation then, wouldn't we?! But I think the military might not find their new "red on black" camo scheme to be very effective...

Funny nobody have not come with a nice physical mod for these laptops. Xotic pc came up with afterburner lights for g75 but we need some **** for sale so we can pimp this computer up. I got the SSD and blu ray drive, now I need some bling bling :) i really want to add a little more to this laptop :( Come one talented people, give us some options...

Sarp
12-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Got my SSD and man what a difference it made. My windows ultimate 7 was booting in 1.5 mins now guess what, it boots in exactly 12 Secs! SSD's you got me. sushrukh, thank you for all the recommendations. Love the blu-ray burner drive you recommended to me and it is really easy to install. Got a razor naga molten mouse too and it is beautiful. Thank you again.

I now have a new problem :) This dark spot appeared on my screen and I wonder if these are dead pixels. It is right in my face and I was wondering if Asus can change the screen! Please let me know.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af265/sarputso/IMAG0516.jpg

Zygomorphic
12-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Nice, @Sarp, SSDs are really fast. Where are the dark pixels, all I see is the Word cursor. :confused: :)

Sarp
12-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Nice, @Sarp, SSDs are really fast. Where are the dark pixels, all I see is the Word cursor. :confused: :)

Will send a better picture sometime today. Just came to my mind to check for the forum today.

Sarp
12-28-2012, 12:41 AM
nice, @sarp, ssds are really fast. Where are the dark pixels, all i see is the word cursor. :confused: :)

check the pics! :)

Zygomorphic
12-28-2012, 01:34 AM
@Sarp, I see what you mean. That would be a defect with the LCD, which ASUS may or may not cover. There are often disclaimers about the number of bad pixels required to authorize an RMA. I've heard that you can sometimes massage a stuck pixel, but that looks like a dead one.

Quasimodem
12-28-2012, 05:07 AM
I saw a few posts about RAID-0 not being practical.... while the price will be high, the results are undeniable...

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee409/bfielding80/test_zps547bd380.jpg

Sarp
12-28-2012, 08:30 AM
I actually did massage the screen did not help. I had few monitors that had the same problem and it never went away. It appeared after a few months. Did not have any pixel problems when I first bought it. I highly think that they wont do **** about it. I hear that Asus support is horrible along with the rest of the manufacturers. Nobody really gives a damn about support (a few exceptions here and there!). All they care is their dollars! I had a Dell xps with 2 years warranty before and there were problems with the computer. Called support they said I do not have a warranty! Called again, they said it is not registered on my name! Called again, they said i have it but i have an unpaid balance. 3 different answers lol! I got it from Ebay and the very first thing I did was taking the ownership and I was able to see my warranty fine! I sold all the pieces on Ebay and got Asus for the first time! I hate any company that sucks in support! The only one I loved so far was Logitech! They replaced 2 of my keyboards and Z-5500 sub twice without a hassle! I paid 1440 for this laptop and if i owned a company I would pay the highest attention to quality control. If there is a dead pixel, I would instruct them to change it! For what we paid, there shouldn't be any problems or any excuses. This **** is right on my face and it is annoying. Maybe if it was on the corner, I wouldn't bother but that's not the case...

Zygomorphic
12-28-2012, 11:20 AM
@Sarp, ASUS support is limited, as is everyone else's. Based upon your response I would assume that you are not that familiar with the complexity of constructing an LCD panel. They are very sensitive structures, and the occasional 1 dead pixel in out of more than 2 million is impressive! I would suggest contacting ASUS support about it, they may be reasonable, you'll never know til you try.