PDA

View Full Version : Ok seriously, what is the double beep!

Addohm
06-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Every once in a while, seems very random, my laptop will let out two beeps. I can't seem to correlate it with any specific things going on with the laptop. Both beeps are high pitched and equal in tone. Both are reasonably quick. AHHHH!:mad:

dstrakele
06-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I would check the Windows System Event Log for error events.

AmazingFactory
06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
could be hardware beep codes
something is about to fail

Addohm
06-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I hope you're wrong. The laptop is two days old and I'm very happy with it... It behaves perfectly fine, and doesn't even get hot under gaming conditions.

dstrakele
06-07-2012, 06:44 PM
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm indicates 2 short beeps from the AMI BIOS is indicative of a RAM problem. However, the code could be different for ASUS laptops, so don't forget to check the Windows System Event Log. Still, I would get memtest86+ and thoroughly test system memory to confirm it is sound.

You want to spend a decent amount of time testing your new laptop to confirm all features are working properly while you are still within your retailer's exchange/return period.

Addohm
06-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Just finished swapping the 1TB HDD to a 128GB SSD, recovered everything, and again, still have the beeps. I checked the event logs and found nothing. I am burning memtest86 as we speak. What should I see\expect to be looking for there?

Arvinaaaaa
06-08-2012, 01:52 AM
run the test first..most probably it is a ram issue..dud you add any additional ram?

Addohm
06-08-2012, 02:06 AM
I ran the new version of memtest while I was at the gym. I dunno how many passes it did, if any, but when I came back the screen was garbled jibberish. You could tell the test was still running but i couldnt give tou any details. Cant upload photo from phone, will try later.Tryin the old version now. If that does the same thing, I'm going to pack it up and bring it back tomorrow. Hopefully they have one left in stock to replace this one if needed.

dstrakele
06-08-2012, 02:43 AM
That certainly doesn't sound positive. Any memory errors at all are a fail in this test. It's hard to imagine there isn't something in the Event Logs, specifically the Windows System Event Log.

But just the fact that your laptop is beeping is a fail. That is not a common problem. I'd definitely return it, even if I couldn't exchange it for a new unit and had to accept a refund. You don't want this new defective laptop to become YOUR problem...

Addohm
06-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Older version is on 3rd pass and no errors.

I do agree though, I will try to exchange it tomorrow. Gunnar have to pull my ssd out first, and go into the HDD and delete all my sync'd data.

Addohm
06-08-2012, 04:22 AM
New v.
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8461/imagepbm.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/imagepbm.jpg/)

Old v.
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8051/imageyxf.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/imageyxf.jpg/)

Going to run it another 7 hours.

Addohm
06-08-2012, 11:30 AM
http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/8105/imageder.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/imageder.jpg/)

AmazingFactory
06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
When you receive a new computer you should immediately test it:

- full memory test
- cpu and gpu stress test
- check hard disk smart info and benchmarks
- check fans and temperatures

then on the first night you can do a full hard disk test - will be ready by morning

also you should:
- double check the model nos and spec against your order
- confirm every feature is working (all ports work)
- make a system report of all devices and device drivers

then restore the whole system to factory state using the DVD (to prove that you can)

the sooner you find a problem the better for you ... every day that passes your consumer rights are reducing ...

I couldn't run any tests on my G75VW-DS71 because it was totally broken when it arrived!

Addohm
06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Okay, and are there additional free programs that you would recommend for all this? I am aware of Prime95 and the various Benchmark programs like Furmark. What else?

After I got up this morning and it was finishing it's 8th pass, I shut down the memtest and booted back in to windows. It wasn't but 20 minutes before I heard the double beep again from the shower. I wonder if it has anything to do with being 64 bit? I don't think Memtest operates in 64 bit mode, most of the hex & binary tests I saw were 32 bit.

Adam

Addohm
06-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Okay I swapped the laptop out for a new one. Soon as I got it, I threw in my SSD (I left EVERYTHING on there from the older laptop), started it up, rearranged my partitions, and let the battery drain to 5% (shutdown) before recharging.

I just plugged it in, and started it up. Got in to windows and in no more than 5 minutes, I heard the beeps AGAIN!

This can't be coincodence. I guess at this point, I am going to make new recovery disks from the new laptop, reformat my SSD, and reinstall everything again. If that doesn't work, I am going to go ahead and use my copy of windows 7. I'm trying to avoid that though, the key is used by my PC.

ARG!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edit: there are no errors in the event log.

john_from_ohio
06-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I just plugged it in, and started it up. Got in to windows and in no more than 5 minutes, I heard the beeps AGAIN!

Sure sounds like some application is making the beeps ... trying to signal something maybe ... you can try making sure all the icons in the right hand tray are set to show status etc.

It doesn't sound like hardware to me at this point ... unless your machine does not like your SSD???

Does your new machine do the beeps if you take back out your SSD and just run it stock for a little while?

Addohm
06-10-2012, 12:05 AM
It started beeping on the original PC on the stock HDD. It did it also, twice, on this laptop with the stock HDD. It will do it while it's idle "doing nothing."

I updated all the ASUS stuff with live updater, and did all my windows updates on the stock HDD. Whoever had the idea of putting a 5600 RPM in this machine should be fired and crucified. Anyway, I made another set of recovery disks, recovered to my SSD again but with the new disks, and haven't yet heard it. Time will tell.

dstrakele
06-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Did it beep twice on the replacement machine while in bone stock condtion BEFORE you installed any other software?

Did the beeps occur while plugged into A/C or on battery or both?

If you're serious about troubleshooting this issue, you have to first do it in stock hardware and software configuration.

EDIT: I take that back. Uninstall ASUS Live Update first from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program" and REBOOT. Perhaps it is a notification or warning from ASUS Live Update that is causing the beeps? However, I would expect more reports of beeping if that was the case. At any rate, we know it IS capable of borking systems, so get rid of it first.

Addohm
06-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Ive already completely updated with it lol...

Yes, while it was bone stock. I THINK the power was plugged in every time I heard the beep. I've been using the laptop for quite a long while and haven't heard it. I think updating everything did the trick to be honest.

Adam

Addohm
06-10-2012, 02:36 PM
So anyways, it still hasn't beeped yet. I am going to go ahead and do another full restore. I decided to try Windows 8 while the laptop was still relatively stock. What a HUGE mistake that was. Not only is it uncomfortable to use (I like my start menu very much thank you), but as expected, a lot of drivers don't work in Windows 8.

AmazingFactory
06-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Okay I swapped the laptop out for a new one. Soon as I got it, I threw in my SSD (I left EVERYTHING on there from the older laptop)

an idea:
if you are using an installation of windows from another machine - anything can happen
you need a universal restore utility because low level / mobo drivers are hardcoded into the windows installation

Addohm
06-12-2012, 01:06 AM
I've been doing fresh recoverys, thats it. I haven't yet resorted to using my own W7 yet.

UPDATE: Today, after not having heard the beeps since Friday, I installed software. Before today it was just a recovery, windows updates, updated drivers, and Diablo III. Since I hadn't heard it beep I figured it was safe to start adding programs I use for class as the second summer semester approaches. I added MS Office 2010, Adobe PS CS6, and several Windows gadgets from Keat that allow me to actively monitor my PC (CPU Meter, GPU Meter, Drives Meter, Network Meter, Battery Meter). Low and behold, not even 5 minutes after having installed these gadgets... BEEP BEEP. Now we might be able to isolate this problem, and then again, I might go chasing my tail here, but I am going to delete one gadget at a time, and let it run for a few days. If I stop getting beeps, we know it's the damned gadgets somehow.

I don't remember if I had the gadgets installed the first time I herd the beeps, but the gadgets are usually the first thing I install after doing all my updates.

Addohm
06-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Okay yeah, I feel like a total idiot now. It WAS a gadget. The digital clock is supposed to do a double beep every hour. But it doesn't, it is very random when it does and when it doesn't. Probably process related. Either way, wasted time, poor best buy, lol.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8721/woopsq.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/woopsq.png/)

john_from_ohio
06-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Okay yeah, I feel like a total idiot now. It WAS a gadget. The digital clock is supposed to do a double beep every hour

Funny ... and sad ... why would you want to load on so much stuff on your desktop?

Sorry but I think I guessed a while back that it was an application/program doing the beeps ... do you owe me a beer?