PDA

View Full Version : Does additional RAM increse the gaming experience on the G73sw?

Synomis192
06-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Hello all,

I've been considering an upgrade to my RAM for my G73sw.

At the moment, I have 8gb of RAM. It's a lot from what people say.

But I wanted to upgrade to 16gb because I do a lot of Video Editing and Photo Editing.

Is it worth buying 8gb of RAM to boost my performance in Video Editing and (hopefully) Gaming?

iluvatar
06-07-2012, 08:52 AM
I went from 4gb to 16gb on my 53sw and to be honest, I didn't really see much of an effect in performance. I don't think that you will see a big change in gaming, 8 is already more than enough. I once tried to run 3 games at the same time and the used ram still didnt go much over 4gig.
From what I hear it makes a big difference though when using photoshop, or doing video rendering and all that stuff. Some people even use 32gb for that. But it's not something I do, so I can't tell you much.

Zygomorphic
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Video editing will see a huge boost, especially if you use HD footage (I would guess a lot of people do these days, but I can't be sure). The gaming won't increase dramatically. The best way to determine if you will get a boost is to look at the minimum amount of free RAM (3rd line in Task Manager). That number tells you how much RAM is instantly available, should a program need it. Truth be known, unless you regularly run that number way down, it really isn't worth the expense--or the time--to upgrade. Look at an SSD for a more noticeable performance jump. That, or a nice Seagate Momentus XT (hybrid) drive.

Gorman
06-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Run resmon and perfmon while you game, check your RAM usage. I doubt you will max out 8gb just from gaming. Heck you probably won't use more than 2-3.

If it does say there is more usage then it is because the game isn't free it's memory, it's overwriting it (eg minecraft server).

You already have paging turned off right? If not do that and you will see a performance boost!