PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a new Asus G75SW

JednaPiroga
06-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Correction G75VW

Hi again dudes and dudettes. I don't know if some of you read my old thread regarding my broken G53SX.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?15239-Asus-G53SX

The repairshop took a look at it and told me it was the graphics card, they wanted to charge 450€ for it, which i think is not worth it, so I ordered a new one because I am quite satisfied with the Asus Gaming Laptops, as it is my desktop replacement.

This time I went for a 17.3" G75
Specs are following:

- 17,3-Inch Full-HD-screen
- Intel Core i7-3610QM Ivy Bridge
- 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
- 750 GB HDD
- GeForce GTX660M 2GB

I will also be using my Corsair F60 SSD as a Windows disk.(Later on upgrading to a bigger one)

So I have couple of questions regarding the G75.

1. Pros & Cons
2. Why isnt there any drivers for GTX660m????
3. How many RAM ports are there? My G53sx had only 2.
4. How is the Keyboard, on the G53 it honestly sucked big time.
5. Does the G75 support SATA6.0gb?

I can't wait for the computer to arrive, at the moment im using my 6 year old Fujitus Siemens 1.6 celeron with 1gb ram.:mad:

john_from_ohio
06-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Hi again dudes and dudettes.

So I have couple of questions regarding the G75.

1. Pros & Cons
2. Why isnt there any drivers for GTX660m????
3. How many RAM ports are there? My G53sx had only 2.
4. How is the Keyboard, on the G53 it honestly sucked big time.
5. Does the G75 support SATA6.0gb?

Not many cons ... we are waiting for asus to deliver a driver fix for the subwoofer config problem. At the moment you can either set the volume level for it static and then change it repeatedly as one is changing the overall volume ... or uninstall the via drivers and just default to windows driver ( which does not use subwoofer at all ). Not a big issue for many who use a separate sound system and/or headphones.

The video card is relatively new and updated drivers will be out eventually. My system runs just fine with the latest video driver for it from asus support site.

There are 4 ram sockets two of them already populated on your system but hard to get to without total taking apart ( and voiding warranty apparently ). Most of us are sticking in 2 more 4 gb 1600 chips to go up to 16 gb RAM which runs dual path.

Keyboard is nice and touch pad also very nice ( but I use external mouse and disable touchpad when external device connected ).

Yes it is all SATA III and supports all the latest SSD drives. If your old SSD is not ... might want a different choice in new SSD!

AmazingFactory
06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Read carefully through 4 pages of this forum.
You will quickly see the balance of pros and cons.
My G75 arrived with the case open, screen bezel loose and warped, no sound and completely non-functional video and screen.
I don't seem to be alone, just read the forums for what you have to look forward to ...
Good luck.

john_from_ohio
06-08-2012, 08:41 PM
My G75 arrived with the case open, screen bezel loose and warped, no sound and completely non-functional video and screen.

You ordered it from a retailer for shipment overseas that apparently charges more than market pricing and apparently also does not check the equipment it ships out like that.

Just order the HP that you think is better and take a deep breath and return your machine. I have a feeling that if you are polite and negotiate properly and do not use the attitude that the world is mis treating you perhaps the company you purchased your machine might even refund your shipping costs.

On the other hand if you try to keep this as some kind of personal crusade it may not get you into a happy place.

AmazingFactory
06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
You (still) haven't provided a link showing a retailer with a G75VW-DS71 in stock at less than $1739

The retailer delivered a FACTORY SEALED (eg. new) unit from ASUS.

Stop trying to redirect the blame to me and the retailer ... the problem is with ASUS alone.

kiba
06-08-2012, 10:51 PM
HP "better", lolz those two words just do not go together, you will not, i repeat NOT get an adequate gaming laptop (or regular laptop for that matter) from dime a dozen companies like HP/Toshiba etc... the only companies that make decent gaming laptops are asus, alienware, msi, sager, and falcon northwest, and i had catastrophic problems with my msi and sager, which i ordered before returning and deciding to wait on the g75 to come out. imo the only ones that are worth a damn are the asus g75, alienware m18x, and falcon nw DRX, The two latter are horribly overpriced, but if youve got the money, go for it, imo the g75 has similar specs as those 2, and blows msi and sager out of the water in terms of hardware and quality.

Also, imo ordering anything that says "made in china" on it is a risk, but that is everything nowadays. if you want to blame someone, blame the starved 11 year old who built the thing while suffering from dysentary(sp?)

Brian_ROG
06-08-2012, 11:57 PM
First, Congratulations on your G75 purchase! I believe you made a great choice for a gaming laptop! I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and it's pretty amazing! All my friends who see it are like " what is that beast" which then makes me laugh.

As stated by John, the only issue really is the subwoofer, which I'm hoping a fix will come soon. Everything else in my opinion is working beautifully. I've been only playing shogun 2 so far and it's again beautiful on highest settings.

AmazingFactory, I totally understand your frustrations to receiving a broken G75, I too would be upset. But that is why retailers have exchange policies in place, and why you are given a warranty, 1 or 2 years from Asus.
I have had many computers over the years, dell, HP, Alienware, gateway, etc...and I had to ship back 2 of these (Delll and HP) due to issues. It happens with any manufacturer.

Like Jsl1ce said, they are all made in china! There's bound to be some broken ones! It sucks that it happend to you but you need to try and move on and get over it! Life Happens! Don't be miserable!

Brian_ROG
06-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Oh I forgot to mention the keyboard is nice! Very comfortable to type on. And the touchpad is good, but I too use a mouse! I reallyike the backlit keyboard too.

pcorreiamd
06-09-2012, 02:49 AM
You (still) haven't provided a link showing a retailer with a G75VW-DS71 in stock at less than $1739

The retailer delivered a FACTORY SEALED (eg. new) unit from ASUS.

Stop trying to redirect the blame to me and the retailer ... the problem is with ASUS alone.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G75VW-DS71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B007Z92SKE for 60 dollars more look all the trouble it could have saved you :D

JednaPiroga
06-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Not many cons ... we are waiting for asus to deliver a driver fix for the subwoofer config problem. At the moment you can either set the volume level for it static and then change it repeatedly as one is changing the overall volume ... or uninstall the via drivers and just default to windows driver ( which does not use subwoofer at all ). Not a big issue for many who use a separate sound system and/or headphones.

The video card is relatively new and updated drivers will be out eventually. My system runs just fine with the latest video driver for it from asus support site.

There are 4 ram sockets two of them already populated on your system but hard to get to without total taking apart ( and voiding warranty apparently ). Most of us are sticking in 2 more 4 gb 1600 chips to go up to 16 gb RAM which runs dual path.

Keyboard is nice and touch pad also very nice ( but I use external mouse and disable touchpad when external device connected ).

Yes it is all SATA III and supports all the latest SSD drives. If your old SSD is not ... might want a different choice in new SSD!

Thank you John from Ohio :) So i guess its just like with my G53 regarding the ram, they have populated the one that is accecible..
I now have a F60 Force Series SSD it has like 280read 275write, it is fairly good, but in near future I will upgrade to an 6.0gb/s 120gb.

Read carefully through 4 pages of this forum.
You will quickly see the balance of pros and cons.
I don't seem to be alone, just read the forums for what you have to look forward to ...
Good luck.

AmazingFactory, hoenstly I have had tons of laptops, both from my job, school and my private ones, they all have some kind of issues, the only brand that is really good quality wise is Lenovo/IBM but they dont have gaming laptops.

I am otherwise happy with Asus laptops. They feel good, looks good and performes good. I also got a discount from my job to buy one. I got the G75 for aprox. 1000$

First, Congratulations on your G75 purchase! I believe you made a great choice for a gaming laptop! I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and it's pretty amazing! All my friends who see it are like " what is that beast" which then makes me laugh.

As stated by John, the only issue really is the subwoofer, which I'm hoping a fix will come soon. Everything else in my opinion is working beautifully. I've been only playing shogun 2 so far and it's again beautiful on highest settings.

AmazingFactory, I totally understand your frustrations to receiving a broken G75, I too would be upset. But that is why retailers have exchange policies in place, and why you are given a warranty, 1 or 2 years from Asus.
I have had many computers over the years, dell, HP, Alienware, gateway, etc...and I had to ship back 2 of these (Delll and HP) due to issues. It happens with any manufacturer.

Like Jsl1ce said, they are all made in china! There's bound to be some broken ones! It sucks that it happend to you but you need to try and move on and get over it! Life Happens! Don't be miserable!

Brian_ROG thank you for your answer, I was just hoping for the G75 to be a little better than the G53sx i've had, the keyboard on that machine was awful, the trackpad had that famous glitch(the aluminium tape issue)

And guys sorry for my English, It's not my 1st language so to speak.

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Thank you John from Ohio :) So i guess its just like with my G53 regarding the ram, they have populated the one that is accecible..
I now have a F60 Force Series SSD it has like 280read 275write, it is fairly good, but in near future I will upgrade to an 6.0gb/s 120gb.

AmazingFactory, hoenstly I have had tons of laptops, both from my job, school and my private ones, they all have some kind of issues, the only brand that is really good quality wise is Lenovo/IBM but they dont have gaming laptops.

I am otherwise happy with Asus laptops. They feel good, looks good and performes good. I also got a discount from my job to buy one. I got the G75 for aprox. 1000$

Brian_ROG thank you for your answer, I was just hoping for the G75 to be a little better than the G53sx i've had, the keyboard on that machine was awful, the trackpad had that famous glitch(the aluminium tape issue)

And guys sorry for my English, It's not my 1st language so to speak.

congratz on your g75..asus had released an audio driver that fix all the audio problem fir the G55...soon they will release one for the G75 too.

Joejam701
06-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Hello Guys,
Nice to read all of your statement here, actually I'm still in delima .. on buying this Asus G75VW .. is it worth buying ... because I'm just a moderate gamers .. thinking on buying MSI also but Asus G75VW catch my eyes .. like it very much .. more stylies & elegent looks ...

I do have my Mac Book pro but it's not a gaming laptop so .. I need one for gaming purposes & also can do others related to my job also ...

sorry for my english since it's not my everyday language .. hehehee:cool:

so .. now I'm still searching & reading .. until i made my mine either to buy Asus G75VW or not ...

Cheers

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Hello Guys,
Nice to read all of your statement here, actually I'm still in delima .. on buying this Asus G75VW .. is it worth buying ... because I'm just a moderate gamers .. thinking on buying MSI also but Asus G75VW catch my eyes .. like it very much .. more stylies & elegent looks ...

I do have my Mac Book pro but it's not a gaming laptop so .. I need one for gaming purposes & also can do others related to my job also ...

sorry for my english since it's not my everyday language .. hehehee:cool:

so .. now I'm still searching & reading .. until i made my mine either to buy Asus G75VW or not ...

Cheers
IF YOU r a moderate gamer, why not you get the g55 instead of the g75,..it is cheaper and also considered a very powerful gaming laptop..you can save some money :)

Joejam701
06-09-2012, 08:30 AM
IF YOU r a moderate gamer, why not you get the g55 instead of the g75,..it is cheaper and also considered a very powerful gaming laptop..you can save some money :)

G55 is 15" .. I prefer 17" so G75 is the one ... but thanks for the respond .. appreciate it.

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 08:36 AM
G55 is 15" .. I prefer 17" so G75 is the one ... but thanks for the respond .. appreciate it.
ok, then g75 is your best choice, because it is the cheapset compared to other brands like msi or sager with the same specs

JednaPiroga
06-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Here in Sweden the price difference between G75 and G55 is only 50€
Same spec just different screen size

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Here in Sweden the price difference between G75 and G55 is only 50
Wow, better buy the g75 in sweden

AmazingFactory
06-09-2012, 09:27 AM
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G75VW-DS71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B007Z92SKE for 60 dollars more look all the trouble it could have saved you :D

You are showing the SAME retailer with a HIGHER price!

My ASUS G75 arrived in a terrible state - there must have been NO quality control at all.

I understand that sometimes things go wrong - computers that have passed all inspections at tests at manufacturing sometimes develop a fault.

But that isn't the case with G75 laptops.

They are not TESTED or INSPECTED at all.

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
You are showing the SAME retailer with a HIGHER price!

My ASUS G75 arrived in a terrible state - there must have been NO quality control at all.

I understand that sometimes things go wrong - computers that have passed all inspections at tests at manufacturing sometimes develop a fault.

But that isn't the case with G75 laptops.

They are not TESTED or INSPECTED at all.
dont put the blame on asus, maybe the box dropped while shipping, or maybe your seller drop the box while handling it? or your seller banged the box by accident and still sell it to you? you wont know what go wrong..so dont put all the blame on asus...who knows? maybe your seller banged and dropped the box by accident and they dont care and still sell to you?

JednaPiroga
06-09-2012, 11:37 AM
I have worked both at the Swedish post office and DHL. Trust me, some people there dont handle the packages like feathers. Some people just throw the packages as fast as possible in to the trucks to get going with their delivery.

I saw once a 60" plasma that fell from the fork lift, I cant imagine that the TV inside was undamadged.

john_from_ohio
06-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Jedna:

I saw once a 60" plasma that fell from the fork lift, I cant imagine that the TV inside was undamadged.

Oh lets not try and put some common sense into this rant now!

Seriously just because the outer box is not heavily damaged does not mean that the inner contents were not subject to potential catastrophic abuse during transit.

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Jedna:

Oh lets not try and put some common sense into this rant now!

Seriously just because the outer box is not heavily damaged does not mean that the inner contents were not subject to potential catastrophic abuse during transit.

yes you r right..apparently, this guy that compains about his g75vw is putting the full blame on asus/

Joejam701
06-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Here in Sweden the price difference between G75 and G55 is only 50

@ JednaPiroga - just curios question, at ur place do u use 2 pin or 3 pin connection when plugging. As we here at Malaysia using 3 pin connection. If yes using 3 pin connection ... maybe I can buy from ur country Sweden.:cool:

Arvinaaaaa
06-10-2012, 02:50 AM
@ JednaPiroga - just curios question, at ur place do u use 2 pin or 3 pin connection when plugging. As we here at Malaysia using 3 pin connection. If yes using 3 pin connection ... maybe I can buy from ur country Sweden.:cool:
ARE you from sabah(land below the wind)? r u willing to buy a laptop all the way from sweden? :)

Joejam701
06-10-2012, 03:04 AM
ARE you from sabah(land below the wind)? r u willing to buy a laptop all the way from sweden? :)

Yup .. some where in Sabah. If it's cheap why not. Or maybe u can suggest me where to get the BEST deal which is ... must have 3 pin adaptor i mean.

Look's like XoticPC .... maybe ... still survey.:cool:

R u M'sian ???? :confused:

Arvinaaaaa
06-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Yup .. some where in Sabah. If it's cheap why not. Or maybe u can suggest me where to get the BEST deal which is ... must have 3 pin adaptor i mean.

Look's like XoticPC .... maybe ... still survey.:cool:

R u M'sian ???? :confused:

yes bro, im from semenanjung malaysia(penang state)..as you know now, the g55 is very hard to get in malaysia, harder in sabah and sarawak :) the stock is very very limited and the demand in malaysia is very high...so if you can get from sweden or other countries or other international sellers like xoticpc or AMAZON(got many more sellers out there), why not, these sellers are reputable and asus have two years global warranty..choose and make your decision wisely

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2376599&hl=

this is the link to the asus g series notebook thread in lowyat in malaysia

Joejam701
06-10-2012, 05:28 AM
yes bro, im from semenanjung malaysia(penang state)..as you know now, the g55 is very hard to get in malaysia, harder in sabah and sarawak :) the stock is very very limited and the demand in malaysia is very high...so if you can get from sweden or other countries or other international sellers like xoticpc or AMAZON(got many more sellers out there), why not, these sellers are reputable and asus have two years global warranty..choose and make your decision wisely

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2376599&hl=

this is the link to the asus g series notebook thread in lowyat in malaysia

Bro,
my question is if we buy frm XoticPC example, can they supply with 3 pins since u know we here using 3 pins & not 2 pin connection.

just asking, what brand of laptop u have now? .. at Sabah .. at Karamunsing Complex also have computer shop such as we call here small Lowyat hehehe . Only found i shop sell Asus G55 brand c/w mouse & headset brand Asus wt 3D spectacle. You only can see it but cannot touch it. (inside the glass) hehehee:cool:

Arvinaaaaa
06-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Bro,
my question is if we buy frm XoticPC example, can they supply with 3 pins since u know we here using 3 pins & not 2 pin connection.

just asking, what brand of laptop u have now? .. at Sabah .. at Karamunsing Complex also have computer shop such as we call here small Lowyat hehehe . Only found i shop sell Asus G55 brand c/w mouse & headset brand Asus wt 3D spectacle. You only can see it but cannot touch it. (inside the glass) hehehee:cool:

you have to ask xoticpc directly regarding the pin in the adAPTER..I HAVE THE G55VW-S1095V...this is the rm3999 model..the model you say with the mouse ,headset, and 3d soectacle is the 3d model at rm 4999

Joejam701
06-10-2012, 06:21 AM
you have to ask xoticpc directly regarding the pin in the adAPTER..I HAVE THE G55VW-S1095V...this is the rm3999 model..the model you say with the mouse ,headset, and 3d soectacle is the 3d model at rm 4999

Bro,
ur right .. the price is Rm 4,999.00

Nice to see, Nice to look BUT cannot TOUCH it ..Grrrrrrrrrrrmmm

My 1st impression .. Luv it. BUT still my hand 'Gatal' ... need to touch it ...

at Suria Sabah shopping Mall ... 1 unit of Asus G74 - Rm 5,999.00 on display .. can touch it !! heheheee:cool:
BUT looks bulky ...

Arvinaaaaa
06-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Bro,
ur right .. the price is Rm 4,999.00

Nice to see, Nice to look BUT cannot TOUCH it ..Grrrrrrrrrrrmmm

My 1st impression .. Luv it. BUT still my hand 'Gatal' ... need to touch it ...

at Suria Sabah shopping Mall ... 1 unit of Asus G74 - Rm 5,999.00 on display .. can touch it !! heheheee:cool:
BUT looks bulky ...

g74 is old model, g75 is going to arrive in malaysia end of june..will be same price

JednaPiroga
06-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi, we use 2-pin connector, but I think an adapter would solve your problem.

I wrote that I bought mine for aprox 1000$. Keep in mind that I got a discount(firm pays no taxes when buying electronics + discount :). In store the cheapest G75 is around 1650$.
So I doubt you will get it cheaper here than in Malaysia.

JednaPiroga
06-10-2012, 01:19 PM
One more question, would there be any issues if I mix 1333mhz memmory with 1600mhz?
Will i notice any difference?

I have 2stick of 4gb 1333 ram just laying there, wouldnt be bad to fill her up :D

That is if the two unpopulated ram slots are easily avalible.

JednaPiroga
06-10-2012, 01:19 PM
One more question, would there be any issues if I mix 1333mhz memmory with 1600mhz?

I have 2stick of 4gb 1333 ram just laying there, wouldnt be bad to fill her up :D

Arvinaaaaa
06-10-2012, 01:26 PM

the same thing i did with my g55..g55 and g75 comes with 1600 mhz ram..i also have a 4gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram lying around, so i added it to the g55...

now my g55 has 4gb 1600mhz ram+4gb 1333mhz ram....so far no problem and wont have any problem...the 1600mhz ram will underclock to 1333mhz..so technically, both ram will be running at 1333mhz ram(eventhough one of the ram is 1600mhz)

the difference you will notice is the laptop will run faster because more ram(obviously) :)

JednaPiroga
06-14-2012, 06:07 PM
So I just recieved my Asus G75VW

And here are some pictures of it compared to my old G53SX

First thing I did was to put in my Corsair F60 SSD. And I am one of the lucky ones that have the 2 accesable RAM slots free :) So i will order 8 more gb.

It is so much nicer than my G53SX, it is also thiner. Looks more sleek.
Although I have the same issue as everyone else. My sound comes either from the Sub or the right speaker, I cant get the left one working at all, even after uninstall of soundcard driver and installation of the windows own driver.

chrsplmr
09-09-2012, 03:18 PM
CongratZ .. and that g53 still looks New ... enjoy, enjoy .. please post your
thoughts on the comparisons after some more 'test driving'.c.