PDA

View Full Version : G55 + Thunderbold Port

BlackLotus
06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I already ordered my G55 (It has yet to come). You think its worth to cancel the order and wait til July for the new G55 with thunderbolt? Or is the standard ones upgradeable?

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 01:18 AM
not worth it to cancel just for a port..and you might have to wait way longer than july the get the g55 with thunderbolt

Myk SilentShadow
06-09-2012, 02:12 AM
"Good news everyone! The G55VW has been given the thumbs up for its Intel Thunderbolt upgrade and is good to go! They will be available from July, complementing the standard G55′s already on the market.

The G55VW design doesn’t change across all models, as Thunderbolt is provided via the mini-DisplayPort. If you’re unfamiliar with what Thunderbolt can do, the hardware can daisy-chain up to seven high-performance devices on its 10Gbps cable and still includes enough space to carry display data for additional DisplayPort monitors along the way."

Quoted from the article on the Home Page

So to answer your question, no, you do not need to cancel your order and wait to order another....it's already available on your G55 when you get it :)

mandowntheroad
06-09-2012, 03:06 AM
I've actually been a little confused about this as well. Does this mean that if I buy one now there's an update for it that makes it Thunderbolt? Or do you have to wait for a whole new model. A little bit of clarification would be appreciated :)

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 04:21 AM
"Good news everyone! The G55VW has been given the thumbs up for its Intel Thunderbolt upgrade and is good to go! They will be available from July, complementing the standard G55′s already on the market.

The G55VW design doesn’t change across all models, as Thunderbolt is provided via the mini-DisplayPort. If you’re unfamiliar with what Thunderbolt can do, the hardware can daisy-chain up to seven high-performance devices on its 10Gbps cable and still includes enough space to carry display data for additional DisplayPort monitors along the way."

Quoted from the article on the Home Page

So to answer your question, no, you do not need to cancel your order and wait to order another....it's already available on your G55 when you get it :)

wait..does this mean that the g55 that i have now can support thunderbolt using the current display port? this is because the next batch of g55 in malaysia is arriving mid june..while the thunderbolt is arriving only july(or maybe later in malaysia)..please explain bro, thanks

Myk SilentShadow
06-09-2012, 04:34 AM
That's exactly what the post says, i'm guessing a BIOS update will unlock it to it's full potential. There should be no need for any kind of upgrades or waiting to buy one of the next batch :)

Though, I do think MarshallR could have been a bit more forthcoming with the right information to save people from getting confused. I am purely speculating, but from the looks of that quote I posted, it would seem that even the current G55's should be able to run it from the DisplayPort

BlackLotus
06-09-2012, 05:03 AM
This is rather misleading :rolleyes:

Cecil_2099
06-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Myk SilentShadow: No, you're mis-reading the post.

Thunderbolt uses the same form-factor/inteface as a mini-display port which is why there is no change to the design. HOWEVER, just because your G75/55 has a mini-display port on it now does NOT mean you by default have Thunderbolt.

The laptops that will ship in July will have a hardware controller for Thunderbolt. Current laptops did not ship with that hardware controller and therefore no BIOS update will come to enable Thunderbolt (hence the "They will be available from July, complementing the standard G55′s already on the market."

BlackLotus: It's really a personal preference and what will you use your laptop for. Thunderbolt currently is very much a professional-level technology and has at least a year to become as wide-spread as USB. You can wait until July to get a Thunderbolt-enabled G55 but the peripheral market for Thunderbolt is kind of small right now and very expensive. If you have or will be using Thunderbolt devices, then sure, cancel and wait. But if you just want it to have it and don't really have plans to use it, I'd say you might be better off just waiting to see how accepted Thunderbolt becomes. It may fall by the way-side like FireWire in terms of consumer-level acceptance. Ultimately it's up to you and your situation.

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Thunderbolt uses the same form-factor/inteface as a mini-display port which is why there is no change to the design. HOWEVER, just because your G75/55 has a mini-display port on it now does NOT mean you by default have Thunderbolt.

The laptops that will ship in July will have a hardware controller for Thunderbolt. Current laptops did not ship with that hardware controller and therefore no BIOS update will come to enable Thunderbolt (hence the "They will be available from July, complementing the standard G55′s already on the market."

BlackLotus: It's really a personal preference and what will you use your laptop for. Thunderbolt currently is very much a professional-level technology and has at least a year to become as wide-spread as USB. You can wait until July to get a Thunderbolt-enabled G55 but the peripheral market for Thunderbolt is kind of small right now and very expensive. If you have or will be using Thunderbolt devices, then sure, cancel and wait. But if you just want it to have it and don't really have plans to use it, I'd say you might be better off just waiting to see how accepted Thunderbolt becomes. It may fall by the way-side like FireWire in terms of consumer-level acceptance. Ultimately it's up to you and your situation.

yeah, thunderbolt is like for the professional out there, where they might be needing for thunderbolt to transfer very very large file sizes...based on my opinion, for me, the usb 3.0 is more than enough

Myk SilentShadow
06-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Didn't the first wave of G55's & 75's have a little icon above the MiniDP indicating Thunderbolt compatability to begin with? This is the main source of a lot of people's confusion. Though I don't have either of these laptop's, I am curious about it is all :)

Ohhhh MarhsallR...care to shed a little more light here please? I know you're lurking somewhere mate :p

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Didn't the first wave of G55's & 75's have a little icon above the MiniDP indicating Thunderbolt compatability to begin with? This is the main source of a lot of people's confusion. Though I don't have either of these laptop's, I am curious about it is all :)

Ohhhh MarhsallR...care to shed a little more light here please? I know you're lurking somewhere mate :p
no, it does not look like a thunderbolt logo..how does the thunderbolt logo look like?

Myk SilentShadow
06-09-2012, 01:54 PM
no, it does not look like a thunderbolt logo..how does the thunderbolt logo look like?

A little lightning bolt

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 01:59 PM
A little lightning bolt
the side of the g55 looks like this :

http://ynot2k.com/store/products/laptops/ensemble/g55vw/sides.jpg

look at the 2nd(beside the hdmi)

so, what do you think bro ??

Myk SilentShadow
06-09-2012, 02:03 PM
By the looks of that image, it would seem it's not on there...but and that's a biiig but, I am absolutely positive I saw a post just after they came out, if they had TB Ports or not, even showed a closeup pic of the port which had the logo above it.

Arvinaaaaa
06-09-2012, 02:06 PM
By the looks of that image, it would seem it's not on there...but and that's a biiig but, I am absolutely positive I saw a post just after they came out, if they had TB Ports or not, even showed a closeup pic of the port which had the logo above it.
after close look at the image , the logo has a lightning and a square, look at this thread and real carefully, the g55 doesnt come with thunderbolt for not
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14291-What-is-current-status-of-Thunderbolt-in-G75&country=&status=

Cecil_2099
06-09-2012, 10:58 PM
after close look at the image , the logo has a lightning and a square, look at this thread and real carefully, the g55 doesnt come with thunderbolt for not
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14291-What-is-current-status-of-Thunderbolt-in-G75&country=&status=

Thanks Arvinaaaaa, you beat me to linking to my thread about Thunderbolt. As I had mentioned earlier in this thread, all currently-shipping G5-series (G75 and G55) do NOT have Thunderbolt even though the faceplate shows the thunderbolt through the box. Since the ones shipping in July will have it, ASUS will likely announce/release a new hardware ID to differentiate between which G5-series have Thunderbolt and which do not.

Arvinaaaaa
06-10-2012, 02:55 AM
Thanks Arvinaaaaa, you beat me to linking to my thread about Thunderbolt. As I had mentioned earlier in this thread, all currently-shipping G5-series (G75 and G55) do NOT have Thunderbolt even though the faceplate shows the thunderbolt through the box. Since the ones shipping in July will have it, ASUS will likely announce/release a new hardware ID to differentiate between which G5-series have Thunderbolt and which do not.
so looks like i will miss the thunderbolt technology for my g55 :( oh well, anyways i dont need thunderbolt for my uses :P

_
06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17015-G55-Thunderbolt-clarification