PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Partition

Addohm
06-09-2012, 02:51 AM
The recovery partition is a whoping 25GB! I am keeping my old recovery partition and windows installation on the old drive (1TB 5600 RPM). Just going to update evrything and store it.

Anyway, my question is, is there a way to remove the recovery partition from the SSD and extend the main OS partition?

Cecil_2099
06-09-2012, 05:25 AM
First off, make sure you make a set of Recovery DVDs using the latest version of AI Recovery, which is 1.0.24. The version that comes with the laptop won't restore to your 1TB drive if you ever need it to.

Secondly, yes, you can delete the partition and extend the main OS partition using a standalone partition management software program (you can't do it in Windows' Disk Management utility). I don't have a good recommendation because the last one I used (EaseUS Partition Master Home) messed up my boot record after deleting and resizing a partition, so I'd rather just leave well enough alone and not fiddle with the partitions outside of WIndows.

john_from_ohio
06-09-2012, 11:42 AM
The recovery partition is a whoping 25GB! I am keeping my old recovery partition and windows installation on the old drive (1TB 5600 RPM). Just going to update evrything and store it.

Anyway, my question is, is there a way to remove the recovery partition from the SSD and extend the main OS partition?

I recommend MiniTool Partition Wizard 7 there is a free home version and a ( non free ) professional version. It can run either inside windows or from a bootable CD ( I keep both versions around ). Using Minitool you can either delete the recovery partition entirely and expand your main partition or ( what I did ) shrink the recovery partition down to minimum size ( about 10 gb ) and then expand your os partition.

I tend to do stuff like this in multiple steps ... make a change ... reboot ... make another change ... reboot ... just to know that everything is still working.

StereoROG
03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I used Minitool to reduce the size of the recovery partition but cant add the extra space i have to the C drive which contains my OS.

Any advice? the only reason that i'm thinking of is that its going to merge the partition and might affect the system files.

WIll appreciate you help on this

LENNYc77
05-28-2014, 02:41 AM
I used the Mini Tool kit Wizard and somehow either formatted the partitions wrong or deleted them because now I'm stuck in the Aptio Setup Utility and I can't boot up to Windows 8 without getting the message "reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press any key" I've been stuck for three days....

Clintlgm
05-28-2014, 12:14 PM
If you hit the Esc key, you should bring up a Boot menu, boot to your UEFI OS drive. If that doesn't work, use your Restore media that you created when you first got your notebook. Backtracker, or Macrium Reflect, Acronis ? Otherwise your going to have to find a Win 8.1 Core ISO. and try an repair install or Clean install.