PDA

View Full Version : 3D blue ray player will not play 3d blue ray or dvd what do I need to please help

Jayhawk73
06-09-2012, 05:18 AM
Just received my GW75 3d. I would appreciate any assistance with this matter. Love the computer but this issue is beyond the pale. I went to Nvidia to see if I needed to update the driver but it indicated that I any updates had to be effected on the Asus site. So I went there and it opened the Nvidia website and I got the same message: I had to update at the Asus site! Circular...

The blue ray did work with microsoft office so I am at a loss.

I would appreciate any suggestions for addressing this issue.

Many thanks in advance.

PILGRIM
06-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi there. Have you configured stereoscopic 3D in the nVidia Control Panel?
What 3D Player software is installed on your G75?

It doesn't matter where you get nVidia drivers (ASUS or nVidia sites).
Both will work in 3D Mode provided any of them is configured properly.

Jayhawk73
06-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Pilgram, Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, it is configured stereoscopic 3D in the nVidia control panel. The version of nVidia 3D that's installed on my GW75? is GeForce gTX 670m, Driver version 290.69. I checked and no updates are available, or so it states in the nVidia control panel. However on the nvidia website it shows a GEForce 300 Driver, version 301.42, release date 052212. It indicates that it supports various nvidia 3d programs including GeForce GTX 670.

Dumb question: should I download this version? Anything else I may need to do?

Thanks a lot.

dstrakele
06-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Can your DVD drive read DVD's and CD's that YOU create?

Hoder
06-09-2012, 10:56 PM
what do you mean by "won't play"? When I first tried to play a normal dvd with the Roxio player it said the format wasn't recognized and I needed to install some codecs. I didn't install anything but I did remove the 2 chinese Live Mesh entries in Control Panel and suddenly my dvd played fine with the Roxio player. I can't imagine that live mesh would have anything to do with it but really that's all I did (plus a reboot). The 2d to fake 3d even works.

PILGRIM
06-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Pilgram, Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, it is configured stereoscopic 3D in the nVidia control panel. The version of nVidia 3D that's installed on my GW75? is GeForce gTX 670m, Driver version 290.69. I checked and no updates are available, or so it states in the nVidia control panel. However on the nvidia website it shows a GEForce 300 Driver, version 301.42, release date 052212. It indicates that it supports various nvidia 3d programs including GeForce GTX 670.

Dumb question: should I download this version? Anything else I may need to do?

Thanks a lot.

The laptop needs a 3D/Blu-Ray Player software to run 3D or Blu-Ray in the BD-ROM.
My G74 came bundled with the Roxio CinePlayer and I'm currently using it.
Some people prefer the Cyberlink PowerDVD 12. It's good but not free.
I checked the ASUS download site for the G75. Strange that it doesn't have any
3D/Blu-Ray Player software to go with the G75. You might try to download and use
the Sonic DVD Suite (Roxio CinePlayer) found here: (It's in the "Others" files group.)
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/

As I said previously, 3D Mode works with any nVidia driver version that has Stereoscopic 3D functionality.
My G74 currently has the G75's stock nVidia 296.44 version. You might want it: (It's in the VGA file group.)
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/

Jayhawk73
06-10-2012, 10:49 PM
"Can your DVD drive read DVD's and CD's that YOU create?"

dstrakele, Thank you: When I insert a created CD I get a message as of whether I want to play it with Windows Media Player. When I
insert a DVD movie I get the same message.

"what do you mean by "won't play"? When I first tried to play a normal dvd with the Roxio player it said the format wasn't recognized and I needed to install some codecs. I didn't install anything but I did remove the 2 chinese Live Mesh entries in Control Panel and suddenly my dvd played fine with the Roxio player. I can't imagine that live mesh would have anything to do with it but really that's all I did (plus a reboot). The 2d to fake 3d even works."

Hoder, Thanks for responding. By won't play I mean that like just now I inserted a 3d blu ray into the bluray disk drive,
and the green indicator light flashes a few times, it sounds as if it will load, but then the light stops flashng and there is no further sound indication that the disc is playing. And in fact it doesn't play.

I have six copies of Windows Live Mesh ActiveX Control for Live Connections, three of which are in English, one in French, one in Spanish and one in Portuguese. There all have the same date and are shown as the same version.

I gather that you left one of the LIve Mesh ActiveX Control on your machine, say the one in English, only having removed the Chinese ones?

"The laptop needs a 3D/Blu-Ray Player software to run 3D or Blu-Ray in the BD-ROM.
My G74 came bundled with the Roxio CinePlayer and I'm currently using it.
Some people prefer the Cyberlink PowerDVD 12. It's good but not free.
I checked the ASUS download site for the G75. Strange that it doesn't have any
3D/Blu-Ray Player software to go with the G75. You might try to download and use
the Sonic DVD Suite (Roxio CinePlayer) found here: (It's in the "Others" files group.)
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g74sx/

As I said previously, 3D Mode works with any nVidia driver version that has Stereoscopic 3D functionality.
My G74 currently has the G75's stock nVidia 296.44 version. You might want it: (It's in the VGA file group.)
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vw/"

Pilgrim,

Thank you for your further response. My G75 includes the following Nvidia software: Nvidia 3d vision controller driver 290.36; Nvidia 3d vision Driver 290.60; Nvidia Graphics Driver 290.96; Nvidia HD Audio Driver 1.3.11.1; Nvidia PhyX 9.11.1111; Nvidia Update 1.6.24

It also has the Roxio Cine Player version 5.89.58233.4

So I'm still at a loss as why 3d videos and bluray movies don't spin up and start playing after insert them in the drive. It
should be automatic, right?

I have a Dell with a Blu ray player and I insert a blu ray movie and it loads and plays...

Is there some step or procedure that I am overlooking?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond.

dstrakele
06-10-2012, 11:07 PM
If you right-click on your DVD drive in Device Manager, choose "Properties" from the popup menu, and select the "DVD Region" tab, is the region properly configured? Does it match the DVD Region of the DVD drive in your Dell system?

PILGRIM
06-10-2012, 11:27 PM
It also has the Roxio Cine Player version 5.89.58233.4

So I'm still at a loss as why 3d videos and bluray movies don't spin up and start playing after insert them in the drive. It
should be automatic, right?

I have the CinePlayer 5.8A06 version. Maybe your version is newer.
To check further if it's a software issue, try this:
(Open) CinePlayer > Region Control > (choose the Region where you're located).
In Playback Options > (select file type associations)

Jayhawk73
06-11-2012, 02:35 AM
"If you right-click on your DVD drive in Device Manager, choose "Properties" from the popup menu, and select the
"DVD Region" tab, is the region properly configured? Does it match the DVD Region of the DVD drive in your Dell system?"

dstrakele,

Many thanks. No region was configured. I corrected that yet I'm afraid there is some other issue, perhaps the one raised by Pilgrim.

I also uninstalled the foreign language copies of Windows Mesh as suggested by Hoder, but this had no effect on my
problem, unfortunately.

"I have the CinePlayer 5.8A06 version. Maybe your version is newer.
To check further if it's a software issue, try this:
(Open) CinePlayer > Region Control > (choose the Region where you're located).
In Playback Options > (select file type associations)"

Pilgram, Thanks once again. I tried to open CinePlayer to do as you suggest but while Roxio CinePlayer is listed in the
control panel (and I also can see it through ccleaner) it does not appear in programs on windows start or via a file search.

If you happen to know how I can access it I'd be very grateful to know how. Many thanks.

dstrakele
06-11-2012, 05:01 AM
What is the complete model# of your G75 laptop?

What is the model# of your DVD drive as displayed in Device Manager Properties?

Jayhawk73
06-11-2012, 05:19 AM
"What is the complete model# of your G75 laptop?

What is the model# of your DVD drive as displayed in Device Manager Properties?"

dstrakele,

G75VW-DS73-3D 17.3" nVidia GTX670M/i7-3610QM

DVD drive model number is MAT****A BD-MLT UJ240AFW

Thank you again for responding: MAT****A BD-MLT UJ240AFW

The missing letters (evidently censored out) from the driver are capital s, h, i, t,

dstrakele
06-11-2012, 05:46 AM
You say Roxio CinePlayer appears in Control Panel. Is this in the "Uninstall a program" list?

Can you confirm there is no "Roxio" folder or "CinePlayer.exe" file in your OS partition?

If so, is there a "C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Sonic" (or Roxio) folder on your system? The Roxio CinePlayer installation file will be contained in a subfolder to this directory. It should also be in a similar path on the Applications and Drivers CD included with your laptop.

Alternatively, you can choose to download and install PowerDVD 12 or AnyDVD HD trials to further troubleshoot your blu-ray play issues. You will have to pay for this software once the trial expires if you wish to continue to use it.

PILGRIM
06-11-2012, 08:43 AM
...I tried to open CinePlayer to do as you suggest but while Roxio CinePlayer is listed in the
control panel (and I also can see it through ccleaner) it does not appear in programs on windows start or via a file search.

If you happen to know how I can access it I'd be very grateful to know how...

If the CinePlayer.exe shortcut is missing on the desktop or in the Start Menu,
go to its root file (where you installed it) and activate it. Another way is to re-install it.
(Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features > (uninstall CinePlayer program) > Exit Control Panel >
re-install CinePlayer)

Then do these steps:
1) Double-click or open the CinePlayer.exe.
2) When CinePlayer is opened, click "Settings".
3) Now, click "Region Control". Region Control is classified as A, B, and C.

Region code --- Area
A --- North, Central and South American countries and Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea
B --- European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand
C --- Remaining Central and South Asian countries, as well as China and Russia

EDIT: By the way, my DVD drive model is also the MATSH1TA BD-MLT UJ240AFW.
My location is China, the Region Code of my BD-ROM is "1", but it's still works fine
with the 3D or Blu-Ray discs that are made here in China.

Rookie999
06-12-2012, 03:53 AM
You say Roxio CinePlayer appears in Control Panel. Is this in the "Uninstall a program" list?

Can you confirm there is no "Roxio" folder or "CinePlayer.exe" file in your OS partition?

If so, is there a "C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Sonic" (or Roxio) folder on your system? The Roxio CinePlayer installation file will be contained in a subfolder to this directory. It should also be in a similar path on the Applications and Drivers CD included with your laptop.

Alternatively, you can choose to download and install PowerDVD 12 or AnyDVD HD trials to further troubleshoot your blu-ray play issues. You will have to pay for this software once the trial expires if you wish to continue to use it.

Hey guys my first post here. I too just bought a G75 and had the same issue as Jayhawk73. I followed the above steps by finding the folder C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Sonic\SonicDVD_V5.5.8 82334\Vista32_Vista64_Win7...once you open the last folder you will see a setup file. I just ran the set-up and it updated as well. After that the Blue-Ray player worked great. Hope that helps.

dstrakele
06-12-2012, 04:14 AM
I think it will definitely help @Jayhawk. It's good to have confirmation of a resolution from an actual owner of a G75 system. Thanks for posting!

Jayhawk73
06-12-2012, 04:42 AM
"You say Roxio CinePlayer appears in Control Panel. Is this in the "Uninstall a program" list?

Alternatively, you can choose to download and install PowerDVD 12 or AnyDVD HD trials to further troubleshoot your blu-ray play issues. You will have to pay for this software once the trial expires if you wish to continue to use it."

dstrakele,

Yes, Cineplayer appears in the control panel, in the "uninstall a program" list. I confirm there is no "Roxio" folder or "CinePlayer.exe" file in my OS partition. And like Rookie 999 who posted below, I
found the file "C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\Sonic" via the search function. I could not, however, find the Roxio FinePlayer installation file there.

Your suggestions, however, put me on the right path to a solution, thanks very, very much! My response continues
below.

"If the CinePlayer.exe shortcut is missing on the desktop or in the Start Menu,
go to its root file (where you installed it) and activate it. Another way is to re-install it.
(Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features > (uninstall CinePlayer program) > Exit Control Panel >
re-install CinePlayer)

Then do these steps:
1) Double-click or open the CinePlayer.exe.
2) When CinePlayer is opened, click "Settings".
3) Now, click "Region Control". Region Control is classified as A, B, and C.

Region code --- Area
A --- North, Central and South American countries and Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea
B --- European and Middle-Eastern countries, all of Africa, Australia and New Zealand
C --- Remaining Central and South Asian countries, as well as China and Russia

EDIT: By the way, my DVD drive model is also the MATSH1TA BD-MLT UJ240AFW.
My location is China, the Region Code of my BD-ROM is "1", but it's still works fine
with the 3D or Blu-Ray discs that are made here in China."

Pilgram, Thanks very much to you as well! Eventually, with some additional help from an IT tech, and he found the correct file in both the path dstrakele suggested, and the Applications and Drivers CD.

He then uninstalled and reinstalled the Roxio CinePlayer as you suggested Pilgrim, and like Rookie999 I updated it, and
eventually, was able to play the recent Narnia 3d movie. Although I had trouble getting the CinePlayer to actually play the 3D movie since the play and other functions were inoperable at first...I got the message "this BD-J title does not
support pointing devices such as a mouse. Please click on '<' below to access advanced Blu-disk control."

Well, I wasn't using a mouse, rather than the laptop "mouse" but after inserting '<' several times and right clicking I was
able to obtain a play function on screen. I go into this detail in the event someone else runs into these various issues. Alternatively, use the enter key for play.

I couldn't play my 3D copy of Avatar (I got an access prohibited message....?). I'll try it on my panasonic 3D player and 3D
tv tomorrow. It may well be that panasonic sent me a defective copy, but that's another matter.

Finally, I tried the 2d to 3d conversion on the CinePlayer and I confess I couldn't see any difference but
the true 3D rendition was very impressive.

Thanks very much again to dstrakele and Pilgrim for your kind assistance!

Best wishes, Jayhawk73

dstrakele
06-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Roxio Cineplayer is quite a buggy program. You might have a better experience with Cyberlink's PowerDVD 12 Ultra or Slysoft's Any DVD HD. Although these programs are not freeware, you may find the cost worthwhile if you play a lot of Blu-Ray and regular DVD's on your laptop.

Many content providers ship "regionless" DVD's to prevent their customers from having playback problems. On the opposite end of the spectrum is the provider of the "Avatar" DVD, whose Digital Rights Management prevents legally purchased copies from playing on many Blu-Ray systems. You can see the furor this has generated if you search "Avatar Digital Rights Management" in your browser.

Jayhawk73
06-12-2012, 05:07 AM
I think it will definitely help @Jayhawk. It's good to have confirmation of a resolution from an actual owner of a G75 system. Thanks for posting!

It's the least I can do, dstrakele. All the best, Jayhawk73

PILGRIM
06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Roxio Cineplayer is quite a buggy program. You might have a better experience with Cyberlink's PowerDVD 12 Ultra or Slysoft's Any DVD HD. Although these programs are not freeware, you may find the cost worthwhile if you play a lot of Blu-Ray and regular DVD's on your laptop...

Am I the only one who doesn't find this CinePlayer buggy?.. ;)
I've done an OS clean installation of my G74 a few times,
and re-installed the CinePlayer the same number of times,
and I've yet to see it let me down.

So, my assumption is that for CinePlayer to function properly
(or any program for that matter), it has to be properly installed and configured.

Also, methinks that ASUS chose to bundle this particular Blu-Ray/3D player to some
of its G-series models for the reason that it is, well, cheaper than the others.

Enjoy your G75, Jayhawk73!.. :)

Jayhawk73
06-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Roxio Cineplayer is quite a buggy program. You might have a better experience with Cyberlink's PowerDVD 12 Ultra or Slysoft's Any DVD HD. Although these programs are not freeware, you may find the cost worthwhile if you play a lot of Blu-Ray and regular DVD's on your laptop.

Many content providers ship "regionless" DVD's to prevent their customers from having playback problems. On the opposite end of the spectrum is the provider of the "Avatar" DVD, whose Digital Rights Management prevents legally purchased copies from playing on many Blu-Ray systems. You can see the furor this has generated if you search "Avatar Digital Rights Management" in your browser.

Dstrakele,

Thank you for your suggestions--I have the Cyberlink Power DVD 12 on my dell, and it works fine (it's non 3d).

Thanks also for the input on Avatar.... I have yet to try it out on my panasonic 3d tv, but will now have to wait until the weekend for that... work intrudes.

Regards, Jayhawk73

Jayhawk73
06-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't find this CinePlayer buggy?.. ;)
I've done an OS clean installation of my G74 a few times,
and re-installed the CinePlayer the same number of times,
and I've yet to see it let me down.

So, my assumption is that for CinePlayer to function properly
(or any program for that matter), it has to be properly installed and configured.

Also, methinks that ASUS chose to bundle this particular Blu-Ray/3D player to some
of its G-series models for the reason that it is, well, cheaper than the others.

Enjoy your G75, Jayhawk73!.. :)

I'm glad it works well for you. As long as I can get it to work in some fashion (and I followed your suggestions), then I'm a happy camper. I really like the G75, best, Jayhawk73