PDA

View Full Version : First things to do after purchasing G55/G75 based systems

john_from_ohio
06-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Asus staff/moderators: please make this item a sticky to stay on top of the forum PLEASE!

1) Immediately if not sooner uninstall the asus live update utility ... it will cause problems either with BIOS updates done thru windows ( winflash ) or usb3 drivers or worse.

It needs to be yanked before your system is damaged/compromised.

2) Update to the latest asus recovery utility version and then burn yourself a set of recovery disks.

3) If running mcaffee ditch it and put some kind of other antivirus/firewall combination into place on yourself.

Trying to stay brand agnostic here but I personally recomend a double layer that includes NIS 2012 ( Norton Internet Security ) along with MBAM ( Malware Bytes Anti Malware ).

EDITED:

4) Do some testing with something like furmark and ( hwinfo to monitor ) and verify/check that your GPU temps are within normal ranges. ( If not within normal perhaps heat sinks not installed correctly or covered etc ... ). Be aware of your return/exchange dates that are applicable to your purchase!

Arvinaaaaa
06-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Asus staff/moderators: please make this item a sticky to stay on top of the forum PLEASE!

1) Immediately if not sooner uninstall the asus live update utility ... it will cause problems either with BIOS updates done thru windows ( winflash ) or usb3 drivers or worse.

2) Update to the latest asus recovery utility version and then burn yourself a set of recovery disks.

3) If running mcaffee ditch it and put some kind of other antivirus/firewall combination into place on yourself.

Trying to stay brand agnostic here but I personally recomend a double layer that includes NIS 2012 ( Norton Internet Security ) along with MBAM ( Malware Bytes Anti Malware ).

nice and good advice bro, what about microsoft security essentials?

john_from_ohio
06-10-2012, 03:21 AM
nice and good advice bro, what about microsoft security essentials?

Everyone has their own preferences about security / protection and the microsoft solution is now ( was not initially ) free. Not quite so sure that free is "good" in this area and well personally I want someone else doing diligence against microsoft exposures ... but again this is kind of an individual brand preference.

Keeping systems backed up is the first thing ... then patched ... and secured ... well it is not getting easier is it???

Arvinaaaaa
06-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Everyone has their own preferences about security / protection and the microsoft solution is now ( was not initially ) free. Not quite so sure that free is "good" in this area and well personally I want someone else doing diligence against microsoft exposures ... but again this is kind of an individual brand preference.

Keeping systems backed up is the first thing ... then patched ... and secured ... well it is not getting easier is it???

ok thank you

Neo003
06-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the advice, Just purchased G75VW-TS72. But it wouldn't be here till 3 days (ordered didn't went thru till late saterday). I'll take your advice word to word, since I always instal NIS no matter what.:D

john_from_ohio
06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I'll take your advice word to word, since I always instal NIS no matter what.:D

Have fun! Until last year NIS was all that I used to run but my wife somehow got pulled into putting in something that NIS did not deal with. The MBAM product recognized it / cleaned it up / etc ... and seems to be a good tag team ( compatible ) combo with NIS. I do not see any tangible overhead having both in place running simultaneously.

Still though this is my opinion and my brand preferences here and other people can and do feel differently. Step 1 is having a tested backup plan in place!

wolfz
06-10-2012, 01:50 PM
First thing I did was take apart the darn g55 notebook, reseat the heatsink with a fresh heatsink paste.......

uhmm yeah that's what I did......

Darn ASUS:mad:

john_from_ohio
06-10-2012, 02:04 PM
First thing I did was take apart the darn g55 notebook, reseat the heatsink with a fresh heatsink paste.......

Fair enough I put in a new 4th bullet to check out temps. Probably a memtest should also be done I guess ...

JednaPiroga
06-10-2012, 08:04 PM
First thing I do is put in a ssd or just format the ****, who wants all the bloatware?

ceradecke
06-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Hello community,

I ran the FurMark burn-in benchmark 1920x1080 15minutes GPU stress test on my Asus G75 NVIDIA GTX 670. I received results of: Burn-In score 1500 points, 14728 frames, 16 FPS, 86degC maximum GPU temperature (as can all be seen here: http://i45.tinypic.com/2mmsb28.jpg)

Please, would someone mind letting me know if these numbers are expected numbers for my <1 month old laptop? Thank you very much!

Chris

kiba
06-11-2012, 10:52 AM
thumbs up on your advice bro, although norton (that *******) tried to set my baby kitten on fire so i would go with panda gp.

KidFlash1904
06-11-2012, 06:38 PM
I updated my AI Recovery through the live update thing...should I uninstall it and reinstall it through the download on the support page (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#download)? And is there any drivers I should update? I usually hold off on them until I have to in case a problem arises.

Brian_ROG
06-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Bumping up! Can we get a sticky on this!

PC_744
06-17-2012, 05:14 PM
The REAL first thing to do is :

Is, throwing it off the window. :P

Nah,but seriously. Thanks for the tips!.

Hawkster
06-17-2012, 06:25 PM
First thing I do is put in a ssd or just format the ****, who wants all the bloatware?

yea after I knew everything was good to go , I installed a new ssd in the 2nd drive bay formatted it then did a fresh install of windows to it. I did not remove the factory 500gb drive , just repartioned it to 1 partion.
Everything is smoking fast.

MTDave
06-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks john_from_ohio for this excellent list! Something every laptop owner needs to know.

I am in agreement. Mods, please sticky this!

Ulfr_Thralati
06-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Ive had my comp for a couple of weeks now and didn't disable the asus live update untill today when I read your post. Haven't had any problems with anything (other than the spacebar) Was I just lucky that nothing bad happened? also I haven't burned the recovery discs yet. Is it safe to do that now after i've loaded alot of stuff onto the HDD?

john_from_ohio
06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Ive had my comp for a couple of weeks now and didn't disable the asus live update untill today when I read your post. Haven't had any problems with anything (other than the spacebar) Was I just lucky that nothing bad happened? also I haven't burned the recovery discs yet. Is it safe to do that now after i've loaded alot of stuff onto the HDD?

Soon as a new version of a BIOS comes out for our machines you are rolling the dice with having that utility in place ( or some other bad software update ) as odds are it will try to install BIOS update thru winflash ... then ... brick ola ...

Make sure your asus recovery utility has been updated to latest available and then burn your recovery disks!

The burn your recovery disks utility gets this info/stuff from the hidden recovery partition.

MTDave
06-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Aloha!

Just a quick question - ill be unboxing my G75 tomorrow, and implants to run it through the gauntlet to ensure I have a good unit, or to find any issues worthy of an RMA. That being said, I know of the common issues this series has.

To be more specific, what programs do i need to use to run it through its paces?
Furmark - always mentioned, is there any particular mode I should run for testing?
3dmark - standard testing programs right? Use or doesn't matter?
Any (probably) others that I should get and use? I just don't want to miss anything!

I plan on fully following every step you have listed john.

kif
06-22-2012, 08:58 AM
First of all check structure (see if is well assembled, see if you have all rubbers in place)
Second check for dead pixels.
Third start testing it:

Run 3dmark 2011 and compare the score with the reviews in the internet.
Furmark (latest version) Benchmark it. Check the score against the internet again and check the temperatures too. (close to 90C or more GPU temp is rather strange for a new G75)

Test the sound:
-Check for static in the speakers
-Check for distorcion in the speakers also
-Check for the problem with sound coming out of sub woofer even with a jack plugged in.

I would do this.

ValenB5
06-22-2012, 04:45 PM

EDITED:

4) Do some testing with something like furmark and ( hwinfo to monitor ) and verify/check that your GPU temps are within normal ranges. ( If not within normal perhaps heat sinks not installed correctly or covered etc ... ). Be aware of your return/exchange dates that are applicable to your purchase!

I'm very glad that you posted this info, john_from-ohio!!!! ;););)

Questions:
1) How do we uninstall the Asus Live Update utility? Should we do it through Control Panel or is there a special utility that we need to download & run that will completely uninstall it?

2) What is the best way to completely uninstall McAfee?
I came across this advice here & I'm curious to see what you think about it: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280258

MTDave
06-22-2012, 06:55 PM
First of all check structure (see if is well assembled, see if you have all rubbers in place)
Third start testing it:

Furmark (latest version) Benchmark it. Check the score against the internet again and check the temperatures too. (close to 90C or more GPU temp is rather strange for a new G75)

Test the sound:
-Check for the problem with sound coming out of sub woofer even with a jack plugged in.

I would do this.

Thank you very much! You answered everything I was curious about. Should have all my bases covered now. Much appreciated!

john_from_ohio
06-22-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm very glad that you posted this info, john_from-ohio!!!! ;););)

Questions:
1) How do we uninstall the Asus Live Update utility? Should we do it through Control Panel or is there a special utility that we need to download & run that will completely uninstall it?

2) What is the best way to completely uninstall McAfee?
I came across this advice here & I'm curious to see what you think about it: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280258

For removing Asus live update the ususal uninstall from control panel => programs and features ... I typically reboot after doing one or more uninstalls even if not prompted to do that.

I would image that mcaffee uninstalls the same way ... the url you gave points to something that looks really old. I personally have not found the need to do any kind of registry cleaner stuff on win 7 ( ever ) ... some people may feel differently ... dunno ... just be careful a lot of malware/spyware etc sometimes comes as different registry cleaner utilities ( I think ) ...

ValenB5
06-23-2012, 01:40 AM
For removing Asus live update the ususal uninstall from control panel => programs and features ... I typically reboot after doing one or more uninstalls even if not prompted to do that.

I would image that mcaffee uninstalls the same way ... the url you gave points to something that looks really old. I personally have not found the need to do any kind of registry cleaner stuff on win 7 ( ever ) ... some people may feel differently ... dunno ... just be careful a lot of malware/spyware etc sometimes comes as different registry cleaner utilities ( I think ) ...

I've been using CCleaner for several years & have not received any spyware or malware. It is a well-respected system optimizer that includes a registry cleaner. CNET has given it a terrific review here: http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html
Here is the official website for CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Jonathan
06-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Third start testing it:

Test the sound:

I would do this.

Good!

Take a look at my scores:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2vhwrw7.jpg (ASUS G55VW)

Is it normal? 79C?

I think that the low scores is caused by a bad driver - 296.01 (waiting for the final NVIDIA 304.48 final driver), do you have another opinion?

Do you know if the G55VW supports 2 HDD drivers? I'll upgrade it to 16gb of ram and SSD drivers soon, but I would consider buy 2 drivers if possible and use RAID 0.

Thank you very much!

kif
06-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Well can't help you on the score but the temp is normal. I got a 670m my self and I score a bit more.

About the 2 drives: Do you mean place 2 SSD in raid 0? Cause that would be highlly unadvisable.
I think the is a post about upgrading ur G55VW made by RoG them self's check it out to know how to do it.
And btw G75 has 2 HDD's not sure about G55 but it is for sure answerd in that thread.

Bills86e
07-15-2012, 03:17 AM
New July 14, 2012 = G75VW-DS72
OK, McAfee is gone, but asus live update still is there after I click uninstall. Do I need to do something else?
Control panel >programs/features> uninstall. Should it disappear or is this an enable-disable thing?

PM sent Please ASAP

Shadotora
07-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Why exactly remove the Asus Live Update utility? I realize you mentioned that it will cause issues with the updates of other software, is it really -that- bad?

So far, I've had my G75VW-BBK5 for about two weeks and got all the updates (including the Asus utilities) and stepped up the OS to 7 Ultimate.

Should I still remove the Live Update or would it already be too late at this point? I ask because I wanted to update the BIOS on my laptop after reading one of the other threads.

*edit* I just read someone saying to check for audio coming from the subwoofer even while there is a jack plugged in. Mine does this, but I just reconnect the jack and it stops, should I still be concerned?

john_from_ohio
07-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Why exactly remove the Asus Live Update utility? I realize you mentioned that it will cause issues with the updates of other software, is it really -that- bad?

Yes it is really that bad because among other things it may try to apply a BIOS update while up and running in windows. That can and does ( sometimes ) cause the "old bricking" effect of a computer.

You can still find and apply updates that you want from the asus support site ... you just need to find them manually.

Do not ... repeat do not apply the BIOS updates while running in windows ... no matter how much some people here post that they did it and their machine is still working!