PDA

View Full Version : Poor Quality Control on ASUS product- in my case ASUS G55VW

wolfz
06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Just bought my ASUS G55VW last friday. At first everything is running fine untill I started play games which in this case Diablo3. After like 20 minutes of playing I started get screen artifacts all across my screen. Exiting the game and wait (doing nothing) for 5-10 minutes did fix this problem. Play the game again but this time the screen artifacts come up faster than before. So I download MSI afterburner/kombuster and run it. And it turn out under full load the GPU temp can reach up to 84C.....:confused::mad:

So I started to browser the forum overhere and notebook review forum and I found out the normal temp is arround 62C-65C under full load. Calling the distributor (In Indonesia) who gave the warranty and get a run around saying only 5 units imported here and all sold out. So even if they need to replace mine, it wont happen anytime soon.

So I said the hell with it, I took apart mine only to found out the GPU contact with the heatsink obstructed with a piece of plastic film that supposed to cover those little metal dots arround big metal surface ( I guess the person who put it on during the assembly was careless). Took it off - reposition the transparent plastic film cover. Clean the old heatsink stuffs out, apply fresh new one on both the CPU and GPU. Re-assemble everything. Turn it on. run the same test again, guess what ............................

GPU temp under full load now is 64C......:D:)

No more artifact after 3 hours running the test.......

I'm a happy camper..
PS: when I disassemble the heatsink there was a screw covered with a labeled void warranty ........which I dont give a crap about..........

twister123
06-10-2012, 12:58 PM
This may just be the same with my case. My G55 also runs around 80C under gaming load (i also overclocked it a little bit).

Does anyone have similar experience like this ?

wolfz
06-11-2012, 05:45 AM
just FYI better test the laptop in the store before u bring it home. Install hwmonitor, msi afterburner and prime95....run 'em and check the temp........................
if u see something is wrong ....... exchange it immediately...............

POOOOOR POOOOR QC on asus part for their high end laptop.....:mad::mad::rolleyes:

The same thing happened also on my last G53SW.......sigh...........

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 02:38 PM
bro, can you post a screenshot of your g55 gpu max temp using furmark test in fullhd(1920x1080) would be really appreciated to see a proof that you gpu max temp under furmark test is at 64c..currently we r debating the g55 gpu max temp in this forum link below..please bro and thank you :)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17184-Serious-Matter-G55vw-heat-COMPARED-TO-lenovo-y580.

xeromist
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Too bad you had to void the warranty to fix the problem but good going figuring it out! :)

wolfz
06-15-2012, 03:32 PM

a bit over 65C cause the weather is hot tonight.....

Arvinaaaaa
06-18-2012, 07:30 AM

a bit over 65C cause the weather is hot tonight.....
lol you are doing the test in 1280x720 resolution only..of course your temp will be at 65c..try doing the test in full hd

calin.duma
11-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi,

I just bought my G55VW about a week ago and noticed high temperatures when playing Crysis (1920x1080 with high): both CPU and GPU got up to 80 degrees celsius.

After following wolfz advice, I disassembled the laptop, cleaned the asus thermal compound from CPU and GPU, reapplied new and expensive thermal compound

With thermal compound reapplied the results are(playing the same game with the same graphical settings):
CPU: from 80 now I get 70 degrees celsius
GPU: from 80 now I get 65 degrees celsius

Considering the work invested by me into this, the loss of warranty and the loss of enthusiasm when buying this laptop, I am NOT HAPPY at all!!!

Njuey_3
03-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Bro, cek pm ya. thanks

scarletvw
03-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi,

I just bought my G55VW about a week ago and noticed high temperatures when playing Crysis (1920x1080 with high): both CPU and GPU got up to 80 degrees celsius.

After following wolfz advice, I disassembled the laptop, cleaned the asus thermal compound from CPU and GPU, reapplied new and expensive thermal compound

With thermal compound reapplied the results are(playing the same game with the same graphical settings):
CPU: from 80 now I get 70 degrees celsius
GPU: from 80 now I get 65 degrees celsius

Considering the work invested by me into this, the loss of warranty and the loss of enthusiasm when buying this laptop, I am NOT HAPPY at all!!!

The work invested? Its not that hard to do the thermal paste on a G55VW. And with that temp drop you should be very happy.

isomorphZeta
03-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what the complaint is... 10-15 degree drops is pretty great, especially if you're doing this comparison immediately after application of the compound.

Vicodin
03-09-2013, 10:04 AM
About applying your paste... I know you applied it to the CPU and GPU, but what about the chips around the GPU? I know they put thermal pads on at the factory. Are they needed for spacing? For example, if you put paste on everything will it all still flush up?

foana
03-09-2013, 10:11 AM
The work invested? Its not that hard to do the thermal paste on a G55VW. And with that temp drop you should be very happy.

Should be very happy? That he has had to void a warranty in order to fix something that should have been done properly at the factory? Yeah, I'd be wrapped as well.