PDA

View Full Version : G73JH Questions...

wil2bm
06-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Hey this is my first time postin here - have been lurking the last few months but have some questions!

I bought a g73jh that's been a nightmare since day one. Geek Squad of course didn't do **** for me but tell me it's software I was downloading which I knew was bull ****. When I finally decided to google my model on my own I came across the vlash update which solved most of my problems. About to reinstall windows to see if I can clear up the last few and have a few questions!

As far as my ATI drivers is it safe to download the latest release or is there a previous version I should be sticking to?

Also when I first got the laptop from best buy the Realtek drivers/software also came with some Creative products. I've never been able to get the creative software running when doing a clean install of windows (prefer to not use recovery discs). Is the creaive software pretty much just EQ settings or am I missing out on something by not having it installed?

Also since I am installing a clean copy of windows any suggestions on where to go for drivers? Stick to Asus or other ideas?

And finally any preferences on codec packs? (Klite, Win7 ect...)

Thanks!

kiba
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
hey wil, and welcome to rog. Im gonna assume since you said ATI, that you have a jh, like me, but about the ATI drivers, the new vbios should work with all newer versions of ATI drivers for our card, but has only been tested with the 11.09 drivers, which you can download here, along with anything else you might need after your fresh install of windows.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference&country=&status=

For our machine, as far as audio goes, all you really need is the realtek drivers(be sure to uninstall srs after you install them). I consider most of the other stuff to be bloatware, and personally think my g73 as well as my g74 sounds better without it. g75 came without it :rolleyes:

also, stay away from best buy, they are awful people. im curious as to if you got your g73 from best buy recently as its an old model? just wondering. old model but good one, apart from the new g75 its my favorite, works perfect after the bios/vbios update. hope this answers your questions.

wil2bm
06-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Yep have a jh here... got it in December 2010 and for a while figured the problems I was having was from stuff I had done. Not a big Gamer here and simple things like running youtube while browsing another page would cause the screen to go green/blue/whatever. I brought it in three times and can't even remember how many times I did a reinstall on windows. I kept meaning to just google the model number and when I finally did it was one of the first things that popped up.

An issue I am still having is if after using and unplugging the HDMI out if I close the laptop and go to open it later it's still running but I can't get the screen back up.

Just reinstalled windows - would you recommend going to the AMD site for my drivers or stick to the ones posted here?

Also the one reason I bother with best buy is the deals with their credit card and I have gotten away with ALOT of **** with their service plans :-x lol but figures the one time I really need the help and they pretty much tell me I'm screwed.

Zygomorphic
06-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Try running the verifier tool that AMD put out: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx#1

I have an nVidia ROG notebook, and I run the reference drivers, since they are updated recently and support even cards as old as the 8800GTX line (5 years, wow :) ). It can't hurt, I guess, to try it, and the worst that happens is you boot into Safe Mode and uninstall it. Just my thoughts. Try that before reinstalling Windows, since if it messes up Windows, you were going to reinstall anyway...good luck!

kiba
06-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Yep have a jh here... got it in December 2010 and for a while figured the problems I was having was from stuff I had done. Not a big Gamer here and simple things like running youtube while browsing another page would cause the screen to go green/blue/whatever. I brought it in three times and can't even remember how many times I did a reinstall on windows. I kept meaning to just google the model number and when I finally did it was one of the first things that popped up.

An issue I am still having is if after using and unplugging the HDMI out if I close the laptop and go to open it later it's still running but I can't get the screen back up.

Just reinstalled windows - would you recommend going to the AMD site for my drivers or stick to the ones posted here?

Also the one reason I bother with best buy is the deals with their credit card and I have gotten away with ALOT of **** with their service plans :-x lol but figures the one time I really need the help and they pretty much tell me I'm screwed.
yeah, i use the newer drivers, but the vbios has only been tested for 11.09, but newer ones work fine for me.