PDA

View Full Version : Member Levels : Suggestions ?

chrsplmr
06-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Due to the overwhelming growth experienced with the new Global forum and Asus's commitment to the
Members through this long term investment it has become necessary to add member levels to our forum.

Member levels help build community and encourage us to reach higher and go further than any of us
thought possible.

Since we have this opportunity to shape a piece of our futures MarshallR has asked what we would
consider worthy of the ROG traditions.

10 Levels : Suggestions ?

These levels of course reflect ROGforum experience by post count and not necessarily technical
expertise .. which is another level all together.
(Perhaps under Country could be TechLevel Stars. In the future.)

I leave it to the MemberShip .. I have only a few suggestions ..
1. ROG Noob 1-10 Until you have 'skin' in the game.

10. @Asus 10,000+ (After 10,000 posts, Asus would be crazy not to hire 'them'.)

Final Thoughts: Perhaps the levels should be 1-2000 (200-400-600 ect.)(whatever the Title) and then
from 2001-9,999 - a new 'custom title' button ... by acceptence of course. ie.. ROG Black&Red.
10,000+ ... @Asus .. or TeamROG ........... now thats a title.
Above all Titles should reflect the mutual respect we hold dear for each other.c.

Myk SilentShadow
06-11-2012, 06:18 PM
See now this is a great idea mate, get everyone involved in putting forward some ideas, so "Our Community" is truly "ours". love the 10000 one, though I need a job now, not in another 9593 posts :p :cool: though on a note of sticking to the topic at hand, I really liked the imMortal Kombatant one that was mentioned in your Green Belt thread(i'm a fan of MK).

chrsplmr
06-11-2012, 06:38 PM
.. no rush .. Asus continues to grow by leaps and bounds .. whenever you get there . it will be right on time.
..ooops ... or was that +20,000 ? Guess we will find out .. together. ...
ROG Monk cracks me up ..
I dont know why ... it is .. hmmm .. wrongful .. but I like that one best .. hahhahaahah a... a ROG GuruMonk...
now thats something to be. .. be @ one with the ROG.c.

HiVizMan
06-11-2012, 06:51 PM
1 - 10 Seeker of knowledge
11 - 50 Apprentice
51 - 100 Journeyman
101 - 250 Adept
251 - 500 Craftsman
501 - 1000 Senior Craftsman
1001 - 1500 Master Craftsman
1501 - 2000 Lore Master
2000+ In need of more medication???

I do not know about the names of the levels but those would be my post levels if I was able to run this forum.

Zygomorphic
06-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah! This is a great idea...letting the community set its own levels. I love @Raja's "should be working here" ;) At 10K posts, they probably should. :cool: Maybe:

10-25 ROG Air-cooler Head :)
25-50 ROG LovN2 Know

Wow, @chrsplmr, you can talk in real sentences! I didn't know that! ;)

HiVizMan
06-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Wow, @chrsplmr, you can talk in real sentences! I didn't know that! ;)

bwahahahahaha that is priceless.

Zygomorphic
06-11-2012, 07:08 PM
1 - 10 Seeker of knowledge
11 - 50 Apprentice
51 - 100 Journeyman
101 - 250 Adept
251 - 500 Craftsman
501 - 1000 Master Craftsman
1001 - 1500
1501 - 2000
2000+

1001-1500 Grand Master Guru
1501-2000 Great Sage
2000+ Enlightened Savante
5000+ ***Title of choosing***
10K+ Work at ASUS!

_
06-12-2012, 02:36 AM
It needs:

At least 10 levels
Up to 10k posts

Myk SilentShadow
06-12-2012, 02:41 AM
It seems one thing we are so far united on MarshallR, is that we should get a job @ ASUS @10K posts :P

Raja@ASUS
06-12-2012, 07:37 AM
I think incentive levels are fine, however, the post counter is not always a reflection of post quality. I have been member of many forums in the past where those with the highest post counts had real issues with other members, or just spammed threads where possible to accrue the count. So while I agree there is a need for incentive I believe that it should be tempered with focus on quality rather than quantity. Sadly post counters are quite often indicative of post quantity only.

Online forums and communities are at a point of saturation. Members of other communities are reluctant to leave but will frequent a new site IF it offers something they cannot find elsewhere. That means providing quality content, and quality insight in order to extract real growth.

Perhaps usage of the reputation system is a better option to show the quality of one's input. And that needs to be tied to an ASUS incentive - giveaways or prizes and such. Of course, none of that can happen unless there is requisite resource so it's just an idea, not a plan.

_
06-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Perhaps usage of the reputation system is a better option to show the quality of one's input. And that needs to be tied to an ASUS incentive - giveaways or prizes and such. Of course, none of that can happen unless there is requisite resource so it's just an idea, not a plan.

Both will be tied to achievements in the future. I think the idea should be to make post counts fun and rep have more value.

chrsplmr
06-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Agreed.. but to be fair .. (ugggh!! i hate that word.fair.) I rarely in my short tenor, unil of late, have used that rep button.
And. You can only give 1 .. when some have super excellent informing posts .. but you cant rep them if you did .. ever .. once.
I would think to be 'fair' the mods would need to step up and add rep if they think it is warranted.
or .. multiple rep'n could be added.
After posting 2000+ posts .. 41 have posted rep .. and i thank each and every one of them .. the rest ? confused. hahhahaa.c.

HiVizMan
06-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Both rep and post count based titles have value and are distinctly separate.

Rep only has real meaning when the people who are giving rep, have any of their own or it really means very little. One other thing it is virtually impossible to work out who gave you rep or even why they did. So for that notion to gain traction a few tweaks to the current rep system will be needed I suspect.

Zka17
06-12-2012, 01:54 PM
+1 vote for enhancing the rep system!

I could not care less about post counts... as a support forum, the quality should be more important then quantity...

Of course, building a community is important too! But even that, would the post number change the community feeling? I mean it would set an activity meter, which I think would matter for a good community... but still... don't know...

Myk SilentShadow
06-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Well if the Forums are quiet, it can almost be easy to figure out who repped you when they did....lol unlike in my case, i got repped 3 times in near succession and the person i thought gave me the rep hadn't lol...but yes, please Mr R.....tweak the Rep System please so we can see exactly who gave us Rep :)

HiVizMan
06-12-2012, 02:30 PM
.... and the person i thought gave me the rep hadn't lol...

And the person who did rep you thought he was repping someone else :D :D

Myk SilentShadow
06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
And the person who did rep you thought he was repping someone else :D :D

Hahahaha!!!

xeromist
06-12-2012, 05:46 PM
you cant rep them if you did .. ever .. once.

Well, you can rep people more than once but you just can't do it back to back. I'm not sure what the formula is but once you have repped a certain number of other people then you can rep the first person again. I think it's to prevent abuse but it does encourage people to find others that deserve kudos.

Myk SilentShadow
06-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Well, you can rep people more than once but you just can't do it back to back. I'm not sure what the formula is but once you have repped a certain number of other people then you can rep the first person again. I think it's to prevent abuse but it does encourage people to find others that deserve kudos.

Most cases in regards to giving out Rep, there is usually a limit of giving out 2-5 every 24 hours...depending of course, on the rules set into place by those who administer the Vbulletin backend

Raja@ASUS
06-12-2012, 07:51 PM
A tweak where a mod can give "more" rep than users would probably suffice.

Myk SilentShadow
06-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Plus another that tells us who was kind enough to give us the Rep :p

xeromist
06-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Plus another that tells us who was kind enough to give us the Rep :p

Just curious, why does this matter?

xeromist
06-12-2012, 08:04 PM

No tweak needed. I know that Brian had more rep power than anyone else due to some setting. Unfortunately I don't know where to tell you to look. :D

Zka17
06-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Maybe... but could be done some changes in order to "force"/"remind" people to give reps? I think that's the biggest problem... that people forget to do it... Like a popup window when submitting posts or something...

Zygomorphic
06-13-2012, 01:03 AM

That is exactly what I would like to see. People often say +1, but never click the add rep button. It is nice to know your actions are appreciated, but pushing the reputation button allows people to check quickly who seems to know what they are talking about. Now those who know that they know what they are talking about don't need the recognition, but it is nice to sort through the post-count pumpers and find those with lots of posts because they are so helpful. Also, it would encourage people to spend more time thinking about what they are posting, rather than posting information in 5 different posts, making it harder to follow amid the chorus of "keep it up, chief, keep it up!" and "You couldn't have put it better, chief!" ;)

chrsplmr
06-13-2012, 01:49 AM
Rep means someone is thoughtful. I personally think it is a terrible way to judge whether someone knows what they are talking about.
The post directly after theirs tells you that. Then wait for hiviz,raja,praz ect .. to give the final answer.
BullShooters get shot down real quick up in here .. either you know .. or you dont.

What is useless to one may speak volumes to the next .. i would rely more on the forum leaders and mods to give
credit where credit is due.
Level counts tied to levels works well because it is visible progress .. to a point .. then the Member appreciation rep is nice ..
Mod/LeaderShip rep carries more weight .. even if done privately .. then tying the support stars or something ..
a 5 star tech for instance as opposed to a 2 star.
Being able to see 'who' rep'd you would be 'nice' to thanks them or return in kind .. but it would also show who did not ..
and may lead to hard/hurt feelings ... when all of this should be positive and forward moving for all.
Unless a member has 'all' the equipment to test or to try to reproduce an issue .. support is years of experience.

Here is another reality .. this should be as simple and not time consuming for mods ect .. there is more than enough
work to do .. we dont need to pile to much more on them ... the spammers seem to have that covered ..

a post is a post .. if it falls within the rules .. even if it is to say 'I agree with above.' or a funny picture .. it all adds
to the community as a whole .. it is the sum total that is ROG .. not all support or rma .. or overclocking or reviews ..
ie .. grotts polar bears .. or jokes amoung friends .. adds to the community atmosphere.
Tech levels should be seperate .. but not to encourage rudeness ... if a member has 1 star .. and answers ..
doesnt mean it is not the answer ... it doesnt take a 5 star tech to know .. memory slot closest to the cpu .. for example..

it is complicated .. this way .. so is this what we are saying .. someone sees a 'black belt' post ... that black belt couldnt
reach that without also being a 5 star tech ... for appearances ??
The black and white tech forum is vip.asus ......... this is ROG ... Gamers not ROTechs... humbly offered.
The best of the best of all flavors are in here .. I thought that was the whole point.
You could be the best Mod'r on the planet and be clueless as to tech aspects ... just like maybe a SuperTech may not
know which end of an airbrush is up or out .... It feels a little like elbowing for position when in truth it Does take
the whole StarWars Bar Scene together ... to ROG. And lets face it . if you make it through 2000+
posts in here without being booted for trolling or getting boo'd off stage .. then you have
real 'skin' in the game .... I dont give a rats left ear if ya know a capacitor from a muffler bearing.
Do'n the time .. adds to the shine....sometimes the only thing need is a few words of encouragement.
If we just want a straight 'support' forum only .. we can do away with most all of this and only allow
'real' techs to answer .. maybe about 4 more hiviz's .. even theViz needs a smile now and then.

One Empire at a time though .. for now .. can we get back to the OP's OQ ?

10 Member Levels: (Relating to Post Count) Suggestions ? or are we now suggesting that
this also needs to be tied to MemberAppreciationRep and Leaders/Tech/ForumRep?

This is get'n good.c.

Raja@ASUS
06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
It does not take long to click the button even for us. If I give someone reputation it is almost certainly because they are successfully helpful. And even if a mod is not technically inclined, he can see if someone's help towards another user has cured the issue or not.

Other than that, I don't take forums too seriously so my input is of limited use only. The reality for me is that well over half of what goes on here will always be tech support related and all gossip aside, people come here for help so I would always lean towards incentives based upon that facet of the site. The rest, there are plenty of people online that want to just talk so that runs itself without any form of incentive.

-Raja

speed
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ignore me!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Raja@ASUS
06-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Why does this all matter? Who cares how much "REP" you have or how many post? Just so long as folks get the help they need what the H E double hocky sticks does it matter. You can take the post count off mine I could really care less.

Most intelligent people don't care about post counts.

Those that do help a lot, if their rep hits a certain level and rewards are introduced then things do start to matter. I think you get my drift. If someone helps a lot of users rewarding them when they get to X level might not be a bad idea (someone should be awarded something for their hard work and this is a system we can potentially utilize for that). As an incentive it's better than having someone spamming the forum with gibberish and bally-hoo just to get to X post count level.

Zka17
06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Hey folks, i have an idea!

What if the current ROG levels would be kept (just to have a continuity along ROG history), but they would change dynamically based on the max post counts from a member?

Let's say the original system was designed for post #0-#1000 (don't remember the exact numbers, but it's not the point), from 1000 posts getting the "ROG Guru Black Belt" title. All the lower titles were a percentage of this max post number for the Black Belt.

Now, more and more members are passing the post #1000 as the Forum getting older and older - so after a time we will end up with a lot of Black Belts, but no difference between them... I think that would be an insult too - for the more senior members...

So, what if the max number of posts would drive the ROG level? Set up a max number of Black Belts possible for this community (5-10), so the top 5-10 post counts will get the Black Belt and the rest of the members will get the corresponding titles based on the percentages...

As the post counts for the present Black Belts (I mean the previous system) is going up, it will be harder and harder for the others to climb higher - but will be more prestige and would keep a hierarchy...

chrsplmr
06-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Raja .. yes yes .. agreed. The goal is all ROG equipment ROGz.

Speed .. "...Who cares ... Just so long as folks get the help they need .." Excellent. As Raja said.

Zka17 .. Very interesting idea Doc .. way to get the heart beating .. hehehe btw-old system BB was 2000.

Future 'headRoom' for growth is the original motivation of these changes long term. Much of this and the
'Green Belt?' thread could of been avoided by adjusting the levels upward from 2000 to 10,000 .. carrying
forward the existing ROGtraditions. ie .. Black Belt >> Gold Belt >> Platinum Belt >> Diamond Belt >>
Grand Master >> (wusu .. the only sanctioned form of martial arts in china .. uses three levels within three
levels .. blue, silver, gold >>within>>eagle, tiger, dragon--respectfully. It is not true martial arts .. but then .. neither is this.)..and of course Sifu.
Traditional Kung Fu (now banned) as Mastered by families and Monks had a different hierarchy based on Brothers.

@ 10,000 posts I am reconsidering my position. Im not sure if the poster should be offered a 'job' or mental health coverage ... (quite frankly, Asus can't afford me either way. Offers ? haha)

As to Awards/Rewards ... hahahha .. all I ever got was this Black Belt ... ummmm Green. It must be just gossip.:cool:hehehe
(I may be the least technically advanced - haha, I doubt that highly -- among us .. but ill wear equipment Out before id surrender to it .. and to date .. I prevail...yeah me !!)
Please, Please dont get it twisted .. I have the highest respect for the techs/engineers/programmers amoung us .. or none of us would be here .. Im just saying -- How'd they do on that WallPaper Contest ???
(That brought a ton of expert techs to us .. didnt it ? No ? but do they ROG ?)

Perhaps a 'resume' type thread for the purpose of awarding Technical Expertise 'Stars' by @Asus or amoung our trusted Mods ..
I think of those hidden behind their Avatars and the time it takes to know what 'cards' they cover .. ie ..
(this is from personal experience reading .. learning.) Praz, DaemonCantor .. Zka17 for that matter .. (not to exclude any others.)
It has taken time ... I still wonder if brotherPraz 'ever' smiles .... hahhhaa (j/k) I thought the same of Raja .. but . .. now I know far better ... (It was the work load .. no time for joking .. then .. leave that to the Jokers, Clowns and Gossipers.)

MarshallR -- I suggest maybe just step in .. declare .. From here it is this. Live with it. And lets move on .. before long earning friendships and trust is any further damaged .. as pointed out above .. this doesnt boot one rig.

I for one sure wish I ignored seeing Green and just kept moving .. forward. Lesson learned.
Lesson 2 - Never add in the middle .. just on top .. If we were to reach higher .. then the BlackBelts too needed to reach higher from what they had already achieved ... not do'overs .. this is equal to teaching to the lowest common denominator in the classroom .. instead of teaching to the best in class making the rest reach .. not the top drop out from apathy ..
The 1-20poster .. getting an issue sorted .. will always come and go ..
Unless the point was to make sure the @1 Black Belts were not 'Over-Valued'.
(Sounds like a jealous sissy-fight .. anybody else do 300+hrs in 30days for free ? .. should count for something, eh ? Sounds like 'skin' to me. Of course thats not humanly possible, or is it ? )
[[ Although that was 1300+ 'semi-useless' posts ago .. et...must be noth'n.(j/k)]]
Who asked ya to ? Nobody had to. hahahhahah .. et.

As to tech Levels .. If the top is ie ..Raja @5 -- hehhe OK .. HiViz @6 and a noob @00 .. then I would consider myself a @2 ... hahaha .... ok @1

I now have given this subject entirely too much time and thought .. and asked myself where do I fit into ROG ... and what title would best reflect that .. ROG Sentinel
Ill be standing at the gate to Welcome ALL in .. and Ill be there to 'help' them 'OUT' if they ever burst into Flames.
I am only @1 but there may be a Query or two I could help out with until an @4 logs on .. while I am hang'n around.
and (although i am much less inclined to do so) may come up with some ROGfoolishness to make it through the day.
of course All of it depends on if one feels Welcome to do so .... or if others find 'value' in that.
High post counts do show one of two things .. dont know which @ this point. Love for theROG or pointless insanity .. This subject is making me lean toward the latter ...
Im starting to wish I could log out and stay that way .. but I dont know how or why maybe I should.
(but I am open to respectful suggestions). ... with a wink, smile, nod.

OK.. Im Curious. With two tables with identical boxed gear and one phillips screwdriver ..
[[No fancy testors, gear, special software - or ROGconnect lappy--just fingers and brain.]]
Anybody- and I do mean anybody - care to Race to Windows Log-on ?
Winner gets their BlackBelt back ? Loser gets 'PermaNoob' Title for Life ?
hahahha ... I doubleROG Dare Ya !!! ... hahahhaha.
(Considering the ever advancing technology .. PermaNoob is a Corporate Goal .. meaning no matter what ..
ROG for Life..and would be quite an honor.).c.

xeromist
06-13-2012, 05:03 PM
What if the current ROG levels would be kept (just to have a continuity along ROG history), but they would change dynamically based on the max post counts from a member?

I thought about that too, but I don't think the forum software would do that without an overhaul. Plus people's titles suddenly changing (for some and not others) would lead to confusion and complaints. Better to rip the band aid so to speak and change once or twice as needed like we just did.

speed
06-13-2012, 06:06 PM

Zka17
06-13-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm here to help and learn that is my reward.

speed, for this I'm going to rep you! :) This should be the motto of the ROG life...

speed
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM

chrsplmr
06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Excellent points .. In fact .. Maybe let's do away with all that .. post counts, rep, titles
(Except @Asus, TeamROG & Moderator Titles)
leaving the dots ... white for noobs ..
then one, two, three ect green dots awarded by @Asus, TeamROG & Moderators or gold stars whatever ..

Or maybe a 100 Post Limit .. unless you have a support question .. move along.
By 100 posts Leadership could decide whether to invite them to stay on to help.
But by our own accounts .. none of us (Members)would be here if 'we' hadn't encountered an issue ..

Even HiViz has said he has worked on reproducing an issue for 3weeks without success ..
in all fairness .. i have even seen a member .. who at times was treated like a noob idiot ..
come up with an answer that even Viz could not ..

Has anyone seen the movie 'The Cube' -- It was the 'Imbecile' that solved the problem and
was the Only one that walked away to Life.

Zka17
06-13-2012, 07:20 PM
In fact .. Maybe let's do away with all that .. post counts, rep, titles
(Except @Asus, TeamROG & Moderator Titles)
leaving the dots ... white for noobs ..
then one, two, three ect green dots awarded by @Asus, TeamROG & Moderators or gold stars whatever ..

Yeah, sounds nice... but would not give more work to "@Asus, TeamROG & Moderators"? I mean, we are lucky to have them in the forum with they present efforts... as I got it, they're doing this as volunteers - would not be fair to give them an other duty...

DaemonCantor
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
My thoughts have already been spoken even though nobody cared enough to read them.

xeromist
06-13-2012, 07:45 PM
My thoughts have already been spoken even though nobody cared enough to read them.

As I recall you don't put stock in post counts, more karma. If you feel nobody read it where you originally wrote it then paste it here if you don't want to type it. Plenty of views on this thread.

DaemonCantor
06-13-2012, 07:58 PM
You just scared the Hell out of me xeromist! I didn't think you liked me enough to read my post..... But your right I have never held with Post Counts as being a measure of ones title or reputation because we all know people who flap their lips get high post counts. Most of the Forums I ether had or been on was set for Rep Titles instead. even here yes there are a lot of People on line but only about 10% to 15% of them are helpful, These are the ones that should get the Titles like BrodyBoy, Yourself, and so on.

I myself really don't care what Title I get because the only thing I here for really is to help the Asus Republic of Gamers Community and not myself. If I wanted Glory and all I would still be in the Army.

xeromist
06-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Well, I don't read everything but I certainly don't actively discriminate. I do have to skim more than I used to as traffic has increased and my free time has dwindled. I also don't reply to everything that I read. Sometimes I just don't have anything to add or I don't have time and forget later.

If ever I seem harsh it's because I can't endorse destructive attitudes, even from people that I otherwise get along with. I only dislike people who are chronically and unapologetically destructive and I'm happy to say that all of those people seemed to have moved on. I'm relatively happy with our current community and only wish that people could catch themselves before negativity takes hold.

speed
06-13-2012, 11:32 PM

_
06-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Much of this and the
'Green Belt?' thread could of been avoided by adjusting the levels upward from 2000 to 10,000 .. carrying
forward the existing ROGtraditions. ie .. Black Belt >> Gold Belt >> Platinum Belt >> Diamond Belt >>
Grand Master >>

Done!

ROG Junior Member 0
ROG Member 5
ROG Enthusiast 25
ROG Guru: White Belt 75
ROG Guru: Yellow Belt 125
ROG Guru: Orange Belt 250
ROG Guru: Green Belt 500
ROG Guru: Blue Belt 750
ROG Guru: Brown Belt 1000
ROG Guru: Black Belt 2000
ROG Guru: Gold Belt 3000
ROG Guru: Platinum Belt 5000
ROG Guru: Diamond Belt 7500
ROG Guru: Grand Master 10000

Zka17
06-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Done!

ROG Junior Member 0
ROG Member 5
ROG Enthusiast 25

I like it... :)

chrsplmr
06-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Closing 'General Discussions' may cut way back on banter traffic.
As the Forum gets more and more congested this may
be or shortly become necessary as new models are released and new lines opened....
The new G series alone generates volumes of activity. This may need to be an option.

ding-ding-ding ... Ladies and GentleMen I think we have a Winner !!!
Thats my Vote. I could not be more pleased.

MarshallR .. You Sir are ALL About theROG brother .. It should never be doubted.c.

DaemonCantor
06-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Good Job you made chrsplmr Happy! Now I can sleep better....:p

Myk SilentShadow
06-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Awwww c'mon...I wanted to be an imMortal Kombatant at 500 posts, lol oh well...it's all good....now I just gotta edit my thread ~copies text and races off to do so~

frisianbear2002
06-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Yep nice out come hahahaha and indeed someone who reaches the 10 000 posts you really should offer a job at home hahaha because he or she dos not have time to have a normal job hahahahaha :p

But anyway nice list of levels.

RazorCat
06-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Done!

ROG Junior Member 0
ROG Member 5
ROG Enthusiast 25

added reputation on speed and sir Marshall

thumbs UP...

is there a like button here? like the ones on facebook.. lols! Like it Like it Much! :D

RazorCat
06-14-2012, 06:43 AM
speed, for this I'm going to rep you! :) This should be the motto of the ROG life...

yeah! to HELP! you got that right sir Zka17.... ROG forum helped me a lot.. coz people like you are always there for noob like me...

Cheers! :D

chrsplmr
06-14-2012, 10:08 AM
RazorCat .. brother you past noob a while ago ... from here on out .. your all ROG .. there is no turning back..hehe.c.

RazorCat
06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
RazorCat .. brother you past noob a while ago ... from here on out .. your all ROG .. there is no turning back..hehe.c.

yeah.... ROG Blood runnin' thru my veins...

Raja@ASUS
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Most intelligent people don't care about post counts.

Those that do help a lot, if their rep hits a certain level and rewards are introduced then things do start to matter. I think you get my drift. If someone helps a lot of users rewarding them when they get to X level might not be a bad idea (someone should be awarded something for their hard work and this is a system we can potentially utilize for that). As an incentive it's better than having someone spamming the forum with gibberish and bally-hoo just to get to X post count level.

Rewards? What rewards?

So this is all about rewards? I thought this was all about helping fellow gamers and computer enthusiast? I try to help people the best I can because I get help too. Even if I don't make a post or thread about a issue there may already be one about that same issue and all I have to do is read it. A lot of you guys are way smarter than I am for sure and help out a lot more than I do. And sometimes I can be a hot head and may be say some stuff I shouldn't, but I'm here to help and learn that is my reward. Asus if you want to just give stuff away I'll take it, but I think the whole rep and post count is much-a-do about nothing.

You have to be mindful that not everybody thinks like you. The "rewards" stuff is an idea, not a fact at the moment. Some people like being charitable with their time, others may need an incentive. I happen to be someone who thinks people should be rewarded for their effort - it's certainly not a bad thing in the minds of most.

So when you say "I thought this was all about helping fellow gamers", let me ask you how the helping aspect becomes an issue if one has an incentive to help? Do you feel it breaks down the fabric of good-will on the forum or somewhere in society, is that the issue? For me it's quite simple; you help others, you get help, and we appreciate it.

Perhaps those that have a rose colored view of how things should work in the world think otherwise. I don't think one needs to get too much into the facets of social diversity to understand this, it is just a forum after all. Maybe one that should be a little different to other places and that's where I think having a system in place that works in conjunction with "good will" is the best approach.

-Raja

chrsplmr
06-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Raja .. It is easy to see why you wear the @Asus and are the Administrator.
Profit/Reward is not an evil. It is how we eat, grow, survive.
Neither is Selfless Charity.
You are a man of depth .. or is that height ? Thank You good Sir.c.

Haxilli
06-16-2012, 04:42 AM
You have to be mindful that not everybody thinks like you. The "rewards" stuff is an idea, not a fact at the moment. Some people like being charitable with their time, others may need an incentive. I happen to be someone who thinks people should be rewarded for their effort - it's certainly not a bad thing in the minds of most.

So when you say "I thought this was all about helping fellow gamers", let me ask you how the helping aspect becomes an issue if one has an incentive to help? Do you feel it breaks down the fabric of good-will on the forum or somewhere in society, is that the issue? For me it's quite simple; you help others, you get help, and we appreciate it.

Perhaps those that have a rose colored view of how things should work in the world think otherwise. I don't think one needs to get too much into the facets of social diversity to understand this, it is just a forum after all. Maybe one that should be a little different to other places and that's where I think having a system in place that works in conjunction with "good will" is the best approach.

-Raja

Put it this way , its just very simple . You help enthusiast or hardcore ROG'ers because you have the knowledge and experience that you have gone through countless of times solving problems. Help base on wanting to help , not help base on wanting just for reward, its just not right. If everyone were to be like this, there is no point already in helping others ? that's is why Raja is one of the Admins. Hence help for the sake of making people's day alone will make yourself move happy and satisfied knowingly you have done a good deed.

Raja@ASUS
06-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Put it this way , its just very simple . You help enthusiast or hardcore ROG'ers because you have the knowledge and experience that you have gone through countless of times solving problems. Help base on wanting to help , not help base on wanting just for reward, its just not right. If everyone were to be like this, there is no point already in helping others ? that's is why Raja is one of the Admins. Hence help for the sake of making people's day alone will make yourself move happy and satisfied knowingly you have done a good deed.

Well if we were all yogis perhaps the woolly cotton ball warm feeling would be the driving force of what we do. :)

I can see it now, the ROG Asana handbook. :P

1) One must take 10 sharp breathes through the left nostril before offering help.
2) Flexibility of mind and physique is a must to offer help.
3) Chant Aum several times during the offer of help to those less fortunate in hardware karma...
4) Assume Gian Mudra when contemplating the depth of a BSOD.

I could go on...

Other than that, a reward system is certainly not an evil or one that hurts in my view. If it encourages people to learn and participate. And I don't see how it can harm, especially when the judges of that input are those that know what they are doing. Without that, the "good will" guys seem to burn out, become gruff in nature and often "spin out" on the fourm. While others tend not to learn much new and are of limited help.

DaemonCantor
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I see Raja that your an Enlighten Person where as I myself follow the teachings of Bal..

Bal hit's and it Hurts...
Big Bal's are Better!
Brass Bals are Shiny....
Gold Bal's are Expensive!

chrsplmr
06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Raja Said: "..Other than that, a reward system is certainly not an evil or one that hurts in my view. If it encourages people to learn and participate. And I don't see how it can harm, especially when the judges of that input are those that know what they are doing. Without that, the "good will" guys seem to burn out, become gruff in nature and often "spin out" on the fourm. While others tend not to learn much new and are of limited help. ""

Absolutely .. incentive is Always a good thing .. Even 'babies' Had to come with an incentive to do so .. or mankind would have
been a yawn.
"... the woolly cotton ball warm feeling ..." hahhahahhaha Raja .. U kill me.

Dc .. U accidently left out the societally ever present and prevalent, 'Lead Bal's' and worst of all 'SPAMbal's'.

speed
06-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Zero.exe
06-26-2012, 06:32 AM
In my own words, one should just contribute because they have the knowledge. Its not an obligation, but it says a lot about you if you can take the time and educate people and help.

Since we are offering suggestions, may I suggest some kind of decal in the background? i mean the blackness is easy on the eyes, but I cant help but notice all the wasted space on both sides of the forum. Ads are annoying, but maybe once a week, someone could submit an artistic drawing of ROG related material, or the logo artistically drawn, and it could be placed as a wallpaper for the wastes side space.

<<<<<<<---------------------I Mean that space------------------------------->>>>>>>

DaemonCantor
06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
In my own words, one should just contribute because they have the knowledge. Its not an obligation, but it says a lot about you if you can take the time and educate people and help.

I totally agree... I used to have a tag line that read 'It not as important what you Teach a Kid, But How you Teach them that's Memorable!'

Since we are offering suggestions, may I suggest some kind of decal in the background? i mean the blackness is easy on the eyes, but I cant help but notice all the wasted space on both sides of the forum. Ads are annoying, but maybe once a week, someone could submit an artistic drawing of ROG related material, or the logo artistically drawn, and it could be placed as a wallpaper for the wastes side space.

<<<<<<<---------------------I Mean that space------------------------------->>>>>>>

I'm not sure if the Software they are using can support this or if it can do they know how to utilize it... It's a Great suggestion ether way...

RazorCat
06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
im a white belter now.. weeeeeeeeeeee! :D

i learned a lot from the ROG Masters here.. feels great to be here...

Zygomorphic
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Have you guys @Marshall, he is helium cooled...:cool: Now the reps get their own ranking as well! :) Yay!

Kipper
07-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Watching this thread closely; several have hit on what would be my concerns which are.

Post counts: should count little, there is just to much social give and take which is a good thing but not always helpful and most of the time muddy up the thread and the original question or suggestion is sometime lost.

For me and I speak only for myself there have been numerous threads where I could have and maybe should have given help quicker but you, all the members have been spot on and that's what it is all about. Members helping members and if Admin or Staff are the first to help and become overly involved then other members will stand back and not provide their input and that would be a shame with all the technically adept members here at ROG.

Please remember that my thoughts are my own and I do not speak for any other of the Forums staff.

Zygomorphic
07-07-2012, 10:26 AM
im a white belter now.. weeeeeeeeeeee! :D

i learned a lot from the ROG Masters here.. feels great to be here...
Orange Belt Now! Got >420 posts and am a top 30 contributor...by post count...which means that I spam and troll... ;) Ooops...gotta run...need to up my post count...@chrsplmr is ahead of me...limited black-belt slots...wanna be one. :)

chrsplmr
07-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Kipper..excellent points.

The post count tells us one thing .. the member is put'n in skin. Time.
If 'we' ban ALL banter this would be a perfectly clean straight support forum. Filled with only issues,
appearing to the casual viewer, not to mention potential buyers, as Asus ROG - NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS.
As we have all seen when a new product is released and the first potential issues SnowBall into
a TitleWave of RMA MobHysteria... (Truth. ie..CrossHair V.)
Community bonding and banter is an absolute necessity for brand building.

I do whole heartedly agree that post count Does Not offer evidence of technical expertise of the responder,
but BAD advice is Seized upon instantly by the next ... and then 'we' all learn.

Personally I have seen poor answers from both sides of the fence .. but almost all of the time, by the
end of the thread ......... community resolution.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17191-Member-Responsibility-Step-Up-to-ROG&country=&status= (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17191-Member-Responsibility-Step-Up-to-ROG&country=&status=)

Kip..cudos our brother .. thats why you remain one of 'our' best.

Zygo .. worry not .. urs is already waiting for you on the wall .. right next to Dc's and Grott's .. bring it..
there are boards to light and G's to tweak .. get busy man.(420--hehehe.ere.).c.

Zka17
07-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Community bonding and banter is an absolute necessity for brand building

BAD advice is Seized upon instantly by the next ... and then 'we' all learn

but almost all of the time, by the end of the thread ......... community resolution

Chris, I agre with you 100%!

I think, what characterizes this Forum is: "we all learn" and "community resolution" - at least, those are the reasons why I'm here... :cool:

chrsplmr
07-07-2012, 02:14 PM
not me .. im here because i am insane .. hahahahhahahaa

Straight tech is like ordering off of the dollar menu .. it gets it done.
I want the triple stack, extra tomatoes and onions ...
but agree.....hold the cheeeeeeze please !!!

Well said Z.c.

Zygomorphic
07-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks @chrs, looking forward to wearing the belt with pride...alongside some of my friends...and then looking at those coming on behind...waiting for them too. Glad am I that we give and take on this forum...not just solve problems...most forums are either idle chatter, or else simple troubleshooting. One is pointless, the other is unsustainable. I like to think that here we have a nice blend of fun and service...helping those who need it, and when the work lets up...putting up the feet by the fire (OC desktop :)) and having a chat. ;) I am here to help, as well as to learn...some of both...and with some good friends...makes it all good.

You know, we have some great up-and-coming artists among us, why do not we who appreciate them add to their rep? They may or may not be able to debug a software glitch, but let us let them know how much we appreciate their work. That, and possibly get @Marshall to start giving out hardware to the top artists on the forum as elected by their peers who do not contribute. I know it is nice to have someone say your work was appreciated, but the +rep button makes a huge difference...tells people that you really trust them enough to surreptitiously recommend them to someone else.

chrsplmr
07-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Art promotes to all that listen...and others Here will techExpert Ur EyeBalls 0uT !!!
Turn away none with self-respect .. Provide, Promote, Support, Grow.
Ask, Listen, Learn, Listen, Learn, Help, Listen, Learn, Grow.
Banter drives the NumberCrunchersNuts....hahahhahaa..
We all eat from the same pie and the cherry in the middle is ROG.
The experts can take care of themselves.
Ive said it before, Im just glad Im allowed inside. So I am more than
happy to stand @ the gate and welcome everbody in or remind
any that need, the way out.
All the Real work here and behind the entire Asus/ROG effort
makes any time well spent here. For those with the right intentions.
Besides .. it's fun to learn ROG..hahhaha..c.

HiVizMan
07-07-2012, 06:22 PM
This forum is something special I hope you all realise that. And no I am not talking about the fact it is a product based forum, ROG in this case. No what I am talking about is the members, and how those members of this community conduct and carry them self. Here folks can present their points of view and debate different positions even if they do not match our own. We all listen to what others are saying as much as we are listened too. We do not flame each other because we respect ourselves, and because of that we also respect others.

Yes this forum was originally designed to be a support mechanism, but now we are a community. We do have a huge amount of support functionality going on with out doubt, and support is the first point of contact with ROG for most. But you know each and every one here pitches in and helps out. All here are willing to put their hands up and say, OK I learned something here, or cheers I got that wrong and thanks for putting me right. We accept each other for what they are. No one has more worth than any other member, regardless of how much rep or how many posts. We are ROG. We are community.

Oh and we are all nuts too.

chrsplmr
07-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen .. Thats how its done.

No One, Nails it down like The HiVizMan .. imho.c.

Zygomorphic
07-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen .. Thats how its done.

No One, Nails it down like The HiVizMan .. imho.c.

Amen +1 rep to @chrs and @HiViz. @HiViz for nailing it down, and @chrs for stating the obvious truth

EDIT: Got to spread some more rep before giving again...Will update when can +rep.

Zygomorphic
08-05-2012, 01:03 AM
+1 rep to @HiViz now that I have spread the rep around. The forum listings are very good...just enough space to keep us working :), but not too much to make us give up hope in light of people like @chrs and @HiViz especially. You two da men! :)

chrsplmr
08-05-2012, 02:15 AM
brotherZy.. I am but a humble shepard .. HiViz is like a GrandWizardROG ..
but thats why the table is round .. takes many to complete the circle.
..and you know what always wins on a field like that ?
the center...the focus... and it's fun.c.

Zygomorphic
08-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Yeah ... humble shepherd indeed ... major encouragement to those below .
I like the table analogy ... everyone is a side on the polygon ... the more people ... the more sides ... the more nearly perfect the circle becomes...The center always wins, because everyone focuses on it.

speed
08-05-2012, 06:35 PM
This forum is something special I hope you all realise that. And no I am not talking about the fact it is a product based forum, ROG in this case. No what I am talking about is the members, and how those members of this community conduct and carry them self. Here folks can present their points of view and debate different positions even if they do not match our own. We all listen to what others are saying as much as we are listened too. We do not flame each other because we respect ourselves, and because of that we also respect others.

Yes this forum was originally designed to be a support mechanism, but now we are a community. We do have a huge amount of support functionality going on with out doubt, and support is the first point of contact with ROG for most. But you know each and every one here pitches in and helps out. All here are willing to put their hands up and say, OK I learned something here, or cheers I got that wrong and thanks for putting me right. We accept each other for what they are. No one has more worth than any other member, regardless of how much rep or how many posts. We are ROG. We are community.

Oh and we are all nuts too.

Funny as of late is sure does not feel like that at all...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ignore me!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< last post.

Zygomorphic
08-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Ignore you, bro, never! Even if we differ in opinion, we all work for everyone's benefit. As long as everyone thinks of everyone else first, this forum will be the #1 "support" forum. We all help and are helped. @chrs has really said it. We should all abide by his "Step up to ROG" 7 rules (rule #8 was mine) :)
#8: Always provide the hole instead of drill.

chrsplmr
08-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Speed .. You will always have family here bro .. hope to see you again soon..

Socialism ? Not.imho.
Socialism lacks individualism. For the 'collective'. This is for a brother. (that's not gender ladies.)
A hand up until we are All shoulder to shoulder. We are not here for Asus. We are here for each other...
AND ... Asus is here for us... and to make a few bucks... hahahhaha.
We don't serve 'mother' Asus .. @ our discresion we serve each other as Asus serves us.

(Sorry for the kneejerk, I cringe at the word bro...but your point is well taken.).c.

Zygomorphic
08-05-2012, 08:55 PM
I ain't no socialist...proud conservative...freedom and justice for all. Good point...post edited. We all serve one another and ASUS too (we buy their products ;))

DaemonCantor
08-05-2012, 09:14 PM
I agree with speed! especially since my last post way back about a week ago or more I've been blocked from logging in! until today when chrsplmr PM'ed MarshallR and it was fixed. Thank You MarshallR.

Techinstein
08-13-2012, 03:39 PM
I agree with the levels idea. But dont we have that now? Isn't that the point of the New Roger, ROG Enthusiast, and black belt? And I am not quite sure that working at ASUS would be just because you get 10,000 posts. But maybe a site moderator or something. You never know, what could happen. I think the 10,000 post might be out of the question for getting a job @ASUS, but the other levels that have been suggested I think are fine.

chrsplmr
08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech .. This was the discussion thread for adding additional levels above black belt ..
10,000=job .. hahahha.. we were 'wish'n' .... agreed 10,000 proves nothing ... well, probable insanity.c.

Myk SilentShadow
08-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech .. This was the discussion thread for adding additional levels above black belt ..
10,000=job .. hahahha.. we were 'wish'n' .... agreed 10,000 proves nothing ... well, probable insanity.c.

Pffft i'll still take a job, though my knowledge is rather lacking nowadays lol :p :cool: