PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Performance Issues

Nogara
06-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Ok, so just got my new G75-TS71 last week, waitied a couple days and got my SSD delivered, installed that on Saturday, deleted all the bloatware. Other then that I really haven't had time to do much with my system yet, I've downloaded a couple programs(Skype, Ventrilo, Final Fantasy XI), and just played my game on it for a bit. Haven't had time to do any adjustments other then what I've listed so far.

Now today already when I was just playing around wih my game a couple things happened.

1) I was running 2 instances of FFXI, it crashed, an error message about my NVidia drivers popped up saying there was problems and it terminated my game, turned my screen white, then went back to my desktop screen. I'm assuming I need to install the new drivers? I've seen a thread about them on the forums here, even though they aren't "official" persay, shoudl I update to those?

2) I had Skype, FFXI, Ventrilo running, I pulled up Google Chrome, and the 1-2 seconds it took to start up, Skype gets "choppy" with the sound. This is all while running plugged in instead of on battery, I could understand that a little if I was on battery power only, but not being directly plugged in. My Desktop which is 5 years old and 1/4th the system this is has never done that unless I've been running low on memory. So any suggestions?

I'm not really familiar with "tweaking" systems, I am however confident in my abilities to do so if I'm pointed in the right direction. I'm also not familiar with programs to run to check system performances, but I feel that this shouldn't be happening with doing what I was doing, however I do want my system running great!

Any advice and help will be much appreciated.

dstrakele
06-11-2012, 09:23 PM
@blixel reports similar choppy audio when launching Google Chrome on his G75 in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14960-G75VW-random-audio-and-graphics-spike&p=106769&viewfull=1#post106769. He resolved this issue by uninstalling McAfee Antivirus. What Antivirus software are you running?

The latency spike may also be responsible for your video issue. When Windows detects the video driver has not responded for 2 seconds, it attempts to reset the video adapter, resulting in behavior similar to what you report. This is called a Timeout Delay and Recovery (TDR) error. The reset allows the system to continue without stopping and throwing a BSOD. If Windows is unable to reset the video adapter, it throws a STOP 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_ERROR BSOD.

Nogara
06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for that, I haven't installed anything other then what I had listed, so it just has the McAfee that came with it. Been reading few some threads, and I see NIS and MWAB is a good combination, so I'll switch it over in the next day or so.

Also another thing, I've been reading a lot of problems that when people are plugging in their headphones sound is still coming through their speakers. I haven't had this problem "yet", but I was wondering if it's possible to direct sounds to where you want them to come out of. So if I had my headphones on while on Skype, having that come through them, but be playing music through my onboard speakers at the same time?

dstrakele
06-11-2012, 09:49 PM
The audio issue has been discussed in detail in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14986-G75-audio-system-bugreport&country=&status=.

I do not believe the audio playback scenario you desire is feasible. Normal behavior when headphones are plugged into the audio jack is to disable the speakers.