PDA

View Full Version : Button next to power button? Asus G75VW/Nvidia

Like A Baws
06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I just bought an Asus G75VW laptop. This is my first Asus computer/laptop and im not sure what certain does.

I wanted to know what that button next to the power button does with a republic of gamer logo on it, and how to use it.

Also, I was looking at some of the default pictures stored in the laptop, and theres a folder that says "NVIDIA Corporation/3D vision experience" with pictures inside that I cant open. Im wondering what is Nvidia exactly, and how would would enable it to open those pictures?

Zygomorphic
06-12-2012, 01:44 AM
Push the button and find out ;) Actually, if you don't have the 3D variant (did your notebook come with 3D glasses?), then that simply changes the screen color profiles among a set of pre-defined ones. Not a particularly fancy function, but ASUS had to give the 3D button a use on non-3D models.

NVIDIA is the company that makes the graphics card in your notebook (GTX 660M or GTX 670M). They are also the company that developed the glasses 3D technology that computers use. The pictures are simply to demo 3D vision if you have it, which I assume you don't. If 3D glasses came with the notebook, then you have the 3D variant and you need to click on the "Enable 3D Vision". NVIDIA installs the 3D vision drivers with the graphics card drivers any more, and if there is no 3D supported on the internal panel, nothing happens. If you have an external panel connected, it can run in 3D on the external panel.

Like A Baws
06-12-2012, 02:25 AM
I didnt find any glasses with with my laptop. I tried pressing the button and the a text shows up on the screen changes from "entertainment mode" to "quiet office" to "battery saving" and to "high performance".. I dont see any color changes

I dont have a 3d glasses, does that mean I cant enable the 3D vision and cant open those pictures with NVIDIA pictures?

On my laptop, theres a sticker with NVIDIA logo on it that says "Geforce GTX 660m 2GB".. what does that mean?

Zka17
06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Like A Baws, reading the manual of your laptop may help you a lot... :)

That sticker with NVIDIA logo on it means that maybe you have that GPU in your laptop...

Like A Baws
06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Kinda weird, but I didnt really get a manual with this laptop.. The only thing that I found are a notebook warranty card, and a quick installion guide that tells you to put the battery on, lift the screen, and turn on the computer...

Zka17
06-12-2012, 05:00 PM
It's certainly somewhere in one of the files... :) But you can download it from the Asus website too: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#download

Zygomorphic
06-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I didnt find any glasses with with my laptop. I tried pressing the button and the a text shows up on the screen changes from "entertainment mode" to "quiet office" to "battery saving" and to "high performance".. I dont see any color changes

I dont have a 3d glasses, does that mean I cant enable the 3D vision and cant open those pictures with NVIDIA pictures?

On my laptop, theres a sticker with NVIDIA logo on it that says "Geforce GTX 660m 2GB".. what does that mean?

Oh, sorry, that is the Power4Gear button, it switches power profiles similar to the little battery icon in the system tray. I tend to run in "quiet office" so that the computer stays cool but runs fast when I need it to. The exact profile to use is up to you. Yes, the sticker you have says that you have a GTX660M in your laptop, which is a powerful card. :)

Uglykiwi
12-06-2012, 01:02 AM
the rog button on g75vx does nothing

Zygomorphic
12-06-2012, 02:46 AM

It changes the color-profile for versions that do not have 3D.

finalhour
12-06-2012, 04:32 PM

I'd imagine that you might need the utility if you can't get the button to do anything. The VX is a new model too so maybe they're working on the functionality still? Check with what Zygomorphic said, you should see a color change, but if it's not working, you might need the ASUS SPLENDID Utility (I think that's what it's called!?)

RIPAciD
01-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Hmm, nothing happen when I press that button.. any ideas? Drivers or other software should be installed?

PolarWind
06-22-2013, 01:20 AM
Like A Baws, reading the manual of your laptop may help you a lot... :)

That sticker with NVIDIA logo on it means that maybe you have that GPU in your laptop...

Actually the manual that came with my G75VW doesn't even mention the button.

I found this thread on a google search trying to figure out myself what it does.

GottiBoi55
06-22-2013, 02:37 AM

The button cycles the "Power4Gear" power plans on non 3D models
On 3D models it turn on, and off 3D mode.

GottiBoi55
06-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Hmm, nothing happen when I press that button.. any ideas? Drivers or other software should be installed?

You need to update the "ATK Package" , and "Power4Gear' from Asus download site.

GottiBoi55
06-22-2013, 03:00 AM
Kinda weird, but I didnt really get a manual with this laptop.. The only thing that I found are a notebook warranty card, and a quick installion guide that tells you to put the battery on, lift the screen, and turn on the computer...

Go to your C-drive and look for the eSupport file, in that file there's a file called Manual.
Open that file, at the bottom inside that file there's the eManual for your model.

mrdalts
06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
is there anyway to customize what the button does? It'd be cool if it like, started Steam or something!