PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-BB5K can't select SSD as boot device?

Akovic86
06-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Hi all,

Recently purchased a G75VW-BB5K from Best Buy, and wish to install my Crucial M4 128 gb SSD as the primary OS/boot drive.
However, after going through steps posted on these forums to get my ssd successfully installed, I have found that I am unable to select my ssd as a boot device at all.

I created recovery discs, pulled out the original hdd, replaced it with the ssd, performed a successful recovery on the ssd (which is strange, the recovery program and bios both detect my ssd without issue), however when I go to the bios, I can't select my ssd as a boot device, only the dvd drive is an option to boot from. I tried the ssd in both bays, to no avail. If anyone has a fix, any help would be greatly appreciated.

john_from_ohio
06-12-2012, 01:15 AM
A couple of other people have had problems using some other SSDs ( OCZ ones I believe ) ... first question I would wonder about if your drive is behind on firmware updates.

This system is so fast that perhaps the SSD is not initializing quick enough and then the BIOS skips it???

Is this an older SSD? I think one of our forum guys ( Cecil ? ) is using a Crucial ...

Cecil_2099
06-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Hi Akovic86. I'm using a Crucial M4 256GB SSD as primary OS/Boot Drive and haven't had a problem with the install or the system recognizing it.

A few questions for you:

1. You mention in your post that the recovery DVDs were successful. When you say this, do you mean to say that the recovery process completed recreating the recovery partition and the computer rebooted and continued the self-system set-up (steps 13 and on from my guide)? Or did it fail after the reboot?

2. How old is your Crucial M4?

3. Does your system boot to the stock 1TB HDD if you just put that in by itself?

4. Have you updated the firmware on the Crucial M4? If not, please do that and try it again. You'll need to prepare a bootable USB stick or a bootable CD as Crucial's Windows Firmware updater seems to not work on the G75 for some reason.

Reply back with the answers and I'll try to help you further.

Wolffie80
06-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Would advice you to do a fresh install on ssd
For my part i have an 128gb agility disc. Couldent shrink main partision on original disc enough to make it fit my ssd.
And many forums advice you to do a fresh install due to compability issues when migrating win from mecanical discs to ssd discs.

If you download win 7 home premium from one of theese sites:

64 bit:
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

32 bit
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65732.iso

You need to download and make a copy of your system drivers as well on a usb/dvd.

Open hdd cover. you need to take out original hdd. replase it with your ssd. (it need to be put into slot1)
(do not put in original drive before you have finished installing windows or you will get a error upon win install.)
After install you are free to replace original hdd (put it in secondery slot)
Install all you intel, vga driver etc

Voila!