PDA

View Full Version : G75vw & nvidia gtx 680m?

jtesq
06-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Anyone know if or when the G5 line might come with NVIDIA's new GTX 680M card?

pcorreiamd
06-12-2012, 07:32 AM

Kudos! I was waiting to see who had the courage to ask first :D I still hope they launch before I order mine. Also I read somewhere, that unlike the 670, the architecture will be Kepler like the 660 and from what I read here, people are really happy with it in terms of energy and temperature. Fingers crossed :D

che0po
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
I've read somewere that asus isn t going to lanch it for now ( maybe autumn 2012 )

but you know guys , it s a hardware , so u w8 until 780 is out , and they ll say 785 is going to be done 2 months later , and you will wait and and and.

A high end 2010 graphic card can run most games in very high , you can barely see any difference betwin VH and ultra ... and bad optimised games ( Metro , GTA 4 ... ) aren't going to run ultra on 1920p unless you buy a 3800 € clevo . I wont pay more just because some developpers dont do their work correctly

kiba
06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
the 680 is a HUGE card, youd be more likely to fit it in a g74 rather than a g75, but well see

jtesq
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Thx for input everyone. I guess why i am interested in the gtx 680m card is that it uses the kepler architecture which from what i've read provides a better battery life while not sacrficing performance. I believe the older 660m is kepler as well but if that's the case, i might as well wait until the fall to try to snag a G5 with a 680m card.

Woots
06-12-2012, 08:36 PM
It would be great if they make the 680 card as an add in after market piece I can buy. I would replace my 660 in this G75 if they do.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 12:45 AM
the 680m is a massive powerful card with 1344 cuda cores, compared to the 660m which only has 384 cuda cores

john_from_ohio
06-13-2012, 12:45 AM

Probably be a while before they launch as an option ... but eventually ... sure ... the G5 and G7 series are asus top line laptops and they will battle it out ... eventually.

The G75 will be upgradeable to the 680m "sorta" and some 3rd party asus resellers will offer upgrade paths ( expensive ). Going to take some hacking and machining of the 680 cooling system to retrofit in ... but some people will figure out how to do it.

_
06-13-2012, 02:18 AM
I'll never say never because I don't make these decisions, but it's not on the official roadmap currently sorry.

Woots
06-13-2012, 06:11 AM
I think there would be a market for an upgradable 680 card for G75 owners. I know I would gladly plunk down some cash for one.

I am willing to bet that I am not the only on here if there was an option to do so.

Daevart
06-13-2012, 06:54 AM
I'll never say never because I don't make these decisions, but it's not on the official roadmap currently sorry.

So what are you waiting for? Put it in the roadmap! :D Asus did 2 PCBs, actually, with GTX 660 and 670 :D
Remember that you have an MXM slot on the G75Vw, and that LOOOOT of people buying this machine
know it for sure. Don't tell me you wanna fall behind the competitors (Alienware, MSI, Clevo...) :cool:

(BTW, at Asus Italy they deserve a bomb...25thMay till today, still G75Vw under RMA :( )

jtesq
06-14-2012, 07:00 AM

Any reason why it isn't on the roadmap? Considering the G5 series is Asus top gaming laptop, why wouldn't Asus keep up with the other top gaming laptops (e.g. alienware, MSI etc...) who have already announced or started incorporating the 680M card into their top lines.

kiba
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
like i said before, its a huuuuuuge card, better to let someone else do it first and work out all the issues than to be the first to stuff it in there. usually the simplest answer is the right one.

Joejam701
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Agreed with Woots.

I'm still reading & observing either to Buy Asus G75VW or MSI GT70 ..... hmmmmm

Still doing ... Inner peace .. in mine ...Hmmmmmmm

Liquidus
06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Agreed with Woots.

I'm still reading & observing either to Buy Asus G75VW or MSI GT70 ..... hmmmmm

Still doing ... Inner peace .. in mine ...Hmmmmmmm

Honestly, the GTX660m will still play most games I want it to play. At the end of the day, I might have lower setting graphics on some games (to compensate for the frames), but I'll still be rocking a sexier laptop compared to the competitors.

magbarn
06-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Doesn't the 680M put out 100 watts? whilst the 660M puts out 75 watts? Can our cooling system handle the 100w (don't have specs on the 670M so maybe it already can...)

Woots
06-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Honestly, the GTX660m will still play most games I want it to play. At the end of the day, I might have lower setting graphics on some games (to compensate for the frames), but I'll still be rocking a sexier laptop compared to the competitors.

This is very true.

I am amazed so far at how much this 660m is doing for my games. Frankly, I am shocked at how many high end games I can go maxed out ultra settings with and still enjoy smooth frame rates (paired with a SSD this laptop is beast).

My desire for a 680m is just because I know it will future proof this machine longer.

Also, on this same topic... why don't we have access to the AMD 7970M? This card is likely to even better than the 680M.

ThatsBS
03-22-2013, 10:14 AM
like i said before, its a huuuuuuge card, better to let someone else do it first and work out all the issues than to be the first to stuff it in there. usually the simplest answer is the right one.

Lol, work out the issues? what about the 5xx series? Did the g74 get a 580m in it?? A BIG FAT NO! So ASUS is too money hungry and will not put the best components into their best laptops because they know people will buy them because of their reputation of build quality. That's it. There is not going to be a series 80m GPU until their sales drop by a lot.

So they can get away with selling laptops with less powerful and cheaper GPUs for the same price as other brand laptops with the top of the line GPUs. Because of us the consumer. Who rates them...... I'm thinking of going for better components in my next laptop as I have a g74 with a 560m and its to crap to play in 3d especially.

SO there is another reason to get the best GPU over supposedly build quality. Asus still has roughly the same RMA's as dell, clevo, etc.

ThatsBS
03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
The Republic of Gamers consists only the best of the best. We offer the best hardware engineering, the fastest performance, the most innovating ideas, and we welcome the best gamers to join in.In the Republic of Gamers, mercy rules are only for the weak, and bragging rights means everything. We believe in making statements and we excel in competitions. If your character matches our trait, then join the elite club, make your presence felt, in the Republic of Gamers.

LOL this was in the Ares II graphics column.... Shame about the ROG notebooks. Best of the best?? im sure you would have to have the best available components at the time to say best of the best..

bignazpwns
03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
The Republic of Gamers consists only the best of the best. We offer the best hardware engineering, the fastest performance, the most innovating ideas, and we welcome the best gamers to join in.In the Republic of Gamers, mercy rules are only for the weak, and bragging rights means everything. We believe in making statements and we excel in competitions. If your character matches our trait, then join the elite club, make your presence felt, in the Republic of Gamers.

LOL this was in the Ares II graphics column.... Shame about the ROG notebooks. Best of the best?? im sure you would have to have the best available components at the time to say best of the best..

I laughed so hard reading that. I mean so hard

Tomislav
03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
yeah. I like ASUS and my G75vx-but this was a bit too much. Also if we are talking MBO and/or GPU's ROG stuff is pretty premium.

ThatsBS
03-22-2013, 11:14 AM
yeah. I like ASUS and my G75vx-but this was a bit too much. Also if we are talking MBO and/or GPU's ROG stuff is pretty premium.

Not when it comes to notebooks unfortunately.... 660m, 560m vs 580m, 680m....

bignazpwns
03-22-2013, 12:35 PM

Define prem. Because i see the ROG stuff as more of a gimmic.

I mean my Maximus V has a 8 phase power. My GA-Z77X-UP7 has 32. Useing them both every time i go back to the Gigabyte. Its just higher qualty and more thought put into it as a mothebord and not what the ROG has become the "OMG its a ROG get this and every 12 year old online will envy you...but we made no real advancements in it but were going to charge you $150 more then what it should cost because its ROG bro and we spent the money that would normal go into improving the product into convincing people its l33t and having it will make them a better gamers and cool.

gokica
03-22-2013, 02:05 PM
All I can say is that with the VX they made a great job by slapping 670MX in it. With a descent OC it gets into the 680m/7970m territory for a lot less money out of our pocket.

bignazpwns
03-22-2013, 05:48 PM
All I can say is that with the VX they made a great job by slapping 670MX in it. With a descent OC it gets into the 680m/7970m territory for a lot less money out of our pocket.

VX is what the G55 should of been. The G75VX should of got a GTX 675MX and the G55 the GTX 670mx

chrsplmr
03-22-2013, 07:17 PM
"... and having it will make them a better gamers and cool. ..." Agreed.
"... $150 more then what it should cost ..." DisAgree. It cost what it cost.

Gigabyte Laptop ??? 680 ? Was that available or the mx for that matter in
the 55's manufacturing cycle.
What does bashing and flaming ROG products on Asus's forum gain us exactly ? btw.
Pointing at one or even ten stones in The Great Wall and saying it is flawed is laughable at best.imho.c.

Dreamonic
03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Define prem. Because i see the ROG stuff as more of a gimmic.

I mean my Maximus V has a 8 phase power. My GA-Z77X-UP7 has 32. Useing them both every time i go back to the Gigabyte. Its just higher qualty and more thought put into it as a mothebord and not what the ROG has become the "OMG its a ROG get this and every 12 year old online will envy you...but we made no real advancements in it but were going to charge you $150 more then what it should cost because its ROG bro and we spent the money that would normal go into improving the product into convincing people its l33t and having it will make them a better gamers and cool.

This coming from someone who spent personal time overclocking/benching both the G75VW and VX models. Why even bother with them if they are so terrible products?

Reading what you said, you are labeling yourself as a little 12 year old then, who went 'OMG look at ma G's OVERCLOCKS! R'ent day l33t!!!' in his previous posts because he had to have the best OC benchmark scores with the G's. I already think you act like a 12 year old, so this kinda cements it.

The more you keep trying to convince people ROG products or history is so unsatisfactory, the more we all begin to look further into you, not ASUS. If anyone checks your posts history, they see how you started saying how good the G laptops were, the cooling, the overclocking potential, the price. Then you do a complete 180 and are now bashing ROG in general... (shakes head)

You don't strike me as an enthusiast at all, finish what you started in your older posts. Where is your 680m in the G75 pictures at, you posted a questionable screenshot of it in GPU-Z? Maybe stop with the paragraphs for once and actually post up proof of your moddings. That's what members of this forum want to see. Can you even share something with the community that doesn't look like it could be photo manipulated or questionable?

I'm not going to speak on everyones behalf, but I think you don't understand half of what you say. You are here to troll and create waves. It's not a "fanboy" thing as you call it either, it's simply the way you conduct yourself in forums. I don't care for it and neither would anyone else. This is not a place for you to keep filling up posts with this garbage. As chrsplmr mentioned, what does bashing and flaming do for us here? This isn't your first account of it either, but many and the cause of your first ban. There is proper etiquette to follow, so make the experience for others educational, not analytical.

What makes a community stronger is what each person brings to the table to make it better, expand further upon or learn from. Sharing experiences and facts where it's needed most and sometimes just sometimes, it takes a certain individual to spot a black sheep like you and call it out for all to see.

Amen

ThatsBS
03-23-2013, 11:31 PM
"... and having it will make them a better gamers and cool. ..." Agreed.
"... $150 more then what it should cost ..." DisAgree. It cost what it cost.

Gigabyte Laptop ??? 680 ? Was that available or the mx for that matter in
the 55's manufacturing cycle.
What does bashing and flaming ROG products on Asus's forum gain us exactly ? btw.
Pointing at one or even ten stones in The Great Wall and saying it is flawed is laughable at best.imho.c.

Uh, a few stones in the Great wall? how bout pointing out that a GPU on a laptop would be a 6ft woodern fence for a quarter of the length of the great wall. Because that is what is happening to the Rog laptops, the other components are competitive, but not the GPU's. Its a lot more then a minor flaw (or a few stones). What we may get out of this is letting Asus know that we think its not acceptable as many other notebook manufacturers put the better components in. So why can't Asus?? You should be able to get the best GPU at the time, not 2 or 3 steps down. Especially if you are paying a lot of money for a top of the line laptop.

Sagi
03-23-2013, 11:50 PM
should be able to get the best GPU at the time, not 2 or 3 steps down. Especially if you are paying a lot of money for a top of the line laptop.

Yes, that might be true.. But MSI costs a small fortune if you want the 675MX or 680M
I ordered the 675MX and then later that night I realised that it was the wrong choice, so I cancelled it and bought a G75VX instead - I actually saved a decent amount of money :) I could even afford a pretty sweet SSD on top of it + Some random stuff.

After reading, reading and reading on this forum I was convinced that ASUS would be the right choice - There is always help to get here and a lot of people with extreme knowledge!

Haven't been able to find ANY other brand with same kind of community.

Yes, you can buy Clevo, Saga and w/e.. While you're at it, why not a MEDION as well ?! :rolleyes They all have cheap products that holds the newest GPU. ASUS might now have that, but they sure as hell make them look sexy and keeping it cool :D

bignazpwns
03-24-2013, 12:31 AM
FYI i do it to show what people can do. I dont know maybe you did not read my review on the VW or the VX where i pointed out most stuff. Then i also do it because im on a benchmarking team and personal i love pushing these systems so far up on the charts because 9/10 people here cant pull a decant clock on them let alone beat any of the MSI's or Alienwares. And i did push a VW to a 3DMark world record for the single card of that type. I mean its sad really how easy it is to.

I mean there has really been no innovation in the G series till the 46 came around. The G75's and G55's should of been like the G46 in terms of the Alu. and what not then they also should of had GTX 670MX's in the newer 55s and GTx 675MX's in the 75s. I mean this is their flagship gaming system and when you consider that its pretty sad. I mean the flagship G75 does not have a MSATa port and i can go on and on out little things that it does not have that just pound nails in the coffin. But i did give them major props for the Thunderbolt port opening the door for EGPU's that a lot of systems do not have.

Yes i got a G75VX because people asked me about it. I wont say anything about a system till i test it out. I tested the VX out i used it, overclocked it, modded it i know it inside and out. I also know its comp. equally as well. Ask anyone who is not a fanboy who has used the system seen the inside they will tell it that it is stripped down and made pretty cheap. They did not try to shrink stuff down. Take it apart and you can see they could of made it much thinner if they just put more thought into it. Or they could of really lived upto the hype of their cooling system and extended the heatsinks into the pod. They did not. And the cooling is pretty blan when you look at the temps the Alienwars will pull why using 55w cpu's that are overclocked and 100w overclocked gpu's.

I stand by everything i say. The VX at $1250 is slightly over priced for what it lacks. I mean i can get 15inch systems with HD 7980m's cheaper. But the VX was greatly improved over the VW into getting tot he sweet spot for that price point. Bottom line the G series needs more features or the build materials need to be greatly improved. And ask anyone who used any other ROG product even the desktops. The G series is a laughing joke that they even have the ROG logo as they have nothing that makes them ROG.

Sagi
03-24-2013, 12:44 AM
bignazpwns this is just YOUR opinion and way of looking at things.

What Dreamonic said above kind of make sense.. You always have some negative comment about things and always have to mention how awesome you are at modding, overclocking etc.
But I haven't personally seen ANY of you things.. No links, no screenshots.. No nothing.

I doubt anyone is going to buy the G55, G75 and the G75VX just to do a "test"
Next thing you say is probably that someone paid you to do them as well :) ???

I call bull****.

rewben
03-24-2013, 02:46 AM
i personally treat bignaz's posts as rooms for improvements for ASUS, product wise. i know they do not sound good; but i do think negative feedback can help drive product improvements at some points. it's whether ASUS can consider them positively, or not.

a good cooling system does mean a lot to a gaming laptop, but it doesn't mean everything.

sometimes i cannot help myself but to think ASUS put in a mid-range gpu to maintain the cooling results; what if they put high-end gpu's in? can the cooling system be as cool as it is now? can it still stand as a selling point compared to other brands?

i believe ASUS produces nice products. they have their own shares of innovation. i also believe they have what it takes to produce better products in future (well, as long as they are not defective out-of-box; where i'm from there is another long standing issue that fails to remedy this; but let's not getting there first). to strive for long-term success, at this rate, it's still a long way to go.

ThatsBS
03-24-2013, 04:45 AM
i personally treat bignaz's posts as rooms for improvements for ASUS, product wise. i know they do not sound good; but i do think negative feedback can help drive product improvements at some points. it's whether ASUS can consider them positively, or not.

a good cooling system does mean a lot to a gaming laptop, but it doesn't mean everything.

sometimes i cannot help myself but to think ASUS put in a mid-range gpu to maintain the cooling results; what if they put high-end gpu's in? can the cooling system be as cool as it is now? can it still stand as a selling point compared to other brands?

i believe ASUS produces nice products. they have their own shares of innovation. i also believe they have what it takes to produce better products in future (well, as long as they are not defective out-of-box; where i'm from there is another long standing issue that fails to remedy this; but let's not getting there first). to strive for long-term success, at this rate, it's still a long way to go.

I fully agree with you on this. That is exactly what I have been trying to say, without giving grief to ASUS rog products. ASUS should take the time to listen to us and consider the best GPU's for their top notebooks at the time of manufacture. Otherwise Asus will loose out on a lot of customers I imagine.

Vicodin
03-24-2013, 04:53 AM
I love my G55, don't get me wrong. It does everything I need it to and more. BUT... if I could go back, I would of bought a Clevo P151. It would of been the same specs for the same price. The difference is, the clevo uses a standard MXM slot for the graphics card. Therefor, I could easily swap it out for a 680m down the road.

ZeroBarrier
03-24-2013, 08:27 AM
My opinion? Put your money where your mouth is and vote with your wallet. No company is going to take any criticism from a handful of forum posters. Companies only listen when way too much bad press is involved or it hurts their bottom line; and 2-3 people on a forum aren't going to give them any meaningful bad press.

In other news, my G75VW has been top notch. No problems with stability or heat, and when it comes time to upgrade I'll just buy a whole new notebook, no biggie. Some of you are acting like not having a 680m is the end of the world, seriously.

ThatsBS
03-25-2013, 05:57 AM
My opinion? Put your money where your mouth is and vote with your wallet. No company is going to take any criticism from a handful of forum posters. Companies only listen when way too much bad press is involved or it hurts their bottom line; and 2-3 people on a forum aren't going to give them any meaningful bad press.

In other news, my G75VW has been top notch. No problems with stability or heat, and when it comes time to upgrade I'll just buy a whole new notebook, no biggie. Some of you are acting like not having a 680m is the end of the world, seriously.

Stop being part of the problem and join the Revolution.

ZeroBarrier
03-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Stop being part of the problem and join the Revolution.

You complain, complain, complain and keep giving the company you complain about your money, yet I'm part of the problem?

Like my original post said, put your money where your mouth is; shut up and vote with your wallet.

Nuff said.

ThatsBS
03-26-2013, 09:12 AM
You complain, complain, complain and keep giving the company you complain about your money, yet I'm part of the problem?

Like my original post said, put your money where your mouth is; shut up and vote with your wallet.

Nuff said.

Nuff said? Hmm, what latest Asus product have I bought?? obviously you would know as u quoted? I don't think so.. Anyways anyone can put up their opinion to discuss improvement aspects to design. If there is enough people saying the same thing maybe Asus will listen and change the GPU to a MXM slotted GPU. So it can be upgraded in the future.

Your quote "when it comes time to upgrade I'll just buy a whole new notebook, no biggie". -That could be a whole lot of money for some poor student who needs all he can get for every cent.

So instead of getting a new laptop, (because the GPU can't run his programs to an acceptable level) he/she will still be able to spend a fraction of the cost of a new laptop and still have his/her awesome well made Asus laptop plus a high end GPU that's needed. Instead of buying a new laptop with the required GPU, which would not be an Asus one (as they don't make them atm).

ZeroBarrier
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Nuff said? Hmm, what latest Asus product have I bought?? obviously you would know as u quoted? I don't think so.. Anyways anyone can put up their opinion to discuss improvement aspects to design. If there is enough people saying the same thing maybe Asus will listen and change the GPU to a MXM slotted GPU. So it can be upgraded in the future.

Your quote "when it comes time to upgrade I'll just buy a whole new notebook, no biggie". -That could be a whole lot of money for some poor student who needs all he can get for every cent.

So instead of getting a new laptop, (because the GPU can't run his programs to an acceptable level) he/she will still be able to spend a fraction of the cost of a new laptop and still have his/her awesome well made Asus laptop plus a high end GPU that's needed. Instead of buying a new laptop with the required GPU, which would not be an Asus one (as they don't make them atm).

Because we all know students NEED gaming laptops with enthusiast level hardware, right? :rolleyes:

Think I'm done with this thread, starting to go from silly to down right ridiculous.

bignazpwns
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
First off i dont buy them.

Secondly i'm not here to hold hands with fan boys.

And last but not least. I don't see what the problem with the G75's are. Mine has a GTX 680m in it lmfao