PDA

View Full Version : Windows repair disc

Jono
06-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi, does it really matter if you burn your repair disc using the "windows software" or AI recovery?

thanks..

john_from_ohio
06-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Burning a windows recovery disk thru the windows utility will NOT work correctly in the G55/G75 series of machines. The only reliable way of doing a repair using windows disk is by using a Windows 7 install disk that already includes in SP1. ( Maybe it will get fixed by microsoft for SP2 of windows 7 ) ( Untested possibly windows 8 recovery disks might work ).

The Asus recovery creates a set of ( 3 for the G75VW BBK5 ) recovery DVDs that will recovery a system to factory shipped but you need to get/install the latest version of that utility ( before you burn your first set of DVDs ) to support internal drives 1 TB and larger.

Woots
06-12-2012, 08:29 PM
This is another alternative if you lost your chance to use recovery disc.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-do-i-repair-my-windows-7-installation-the/b027b64f-1c11-4c72-aff4-db4ad4710d90

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 12:47 AM
This is another alternative if you lost your chance to use recovery disc.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-do-i-repair-my-windows-7-installation-the/b027b64f-1c11-4c72-aff4-db4ad4710d90
this way is better than using the airecovery and the recovery partition in the g55/75

Cecil_2099
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
It's all relative and dependent on what your goal is.

If you want your computer to be in a "from the factory"state, then use the AI Recovery utility to burn a set of ASUS Recovery DVDs. This saves you the hassle of tracking down and re-installing drivers manually, and if you don't mind the programs that come pre-loaded with your system (the G75VW-BBK5 is fairly "bloatware" light compared to say a Dell computer) it's a pretty easy and "no-brainer" way to restore your computer in a catastrophe.

However, if you have your system in a particular state and have programs already installed that you'd rather not have to deal with re-installing (like games, MS Office and/or Adobe Creative Suite), then creating a backup from the Windows System Restore is your best bet to ensure a restore with minimal amount of post-restoration installing.

BTW: Having your ASUS Recovery DVDs burned and lying around is always a safe insurance policy regardless of your stance on "bloatware".