PDA

View Full Version : Screen/Video Issues

Woahdude89
06-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey everyone. I've been out of the PC gaming loop/computers for a while, but I just graduated from college and bought myself a G75. It's been pretty beastly and awesome, but I've been having some problems recently. Every time I play a game (Skyrim, Diablo III, Mass Effect) my screen will be completely normal. Then randomly it will turn everything pink and green. Sometimes it just goes away on its own. Sometimes it stays. The monitor is responsive to touch at times as well. I don't actually touch it, obviously, but if I open or close the laptop slightly sometimes the colors return to normal. If I hold the computer at a different angle it changes too. I called Asus support and they directed me to the latest Nvidia and chipset drivers. I downloaded and installed both but am STILL having the same problems. I just got this a few weeks ago, have not dropped it, have not exposed it to extreme heat or cold, and have basically guarded it with my life. Any other ideas on what could be the issue here?

Thanks!

dstrakele
06-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately, the changing of video behavior by manipulating the laptop indicates a hardware problem. If you connect the laptop to an HDTV, you could troubleshoot further to see if the problem is a poorly-connected or defective LVDS cable (video issue on laptop display does not appear on HDTV) or a defective or poorly-seated GPU (video issue appears on both displays).

Regardless of the outcome, you should return the laptop to the retailer to exchange for a new unit. Don't let anyone talk you into an RMA for warranty repair, because the latpop problem will then be YOUR problem and you'll have to wait without a laptop while ASUS repairs it.

If you are beyond your retailer's exchange/return period, then the laptop is your problem and RMA is the least expensive option. You cannot get to where the LVDS cable connects to the motherboard (assuming that IS the issue) without technically voiding the warranty (unless you are careful and no one knows you've been there).

Woahdude89
06-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Unfortunately, the changing of video behavior by manipulating the laptop indicates a hardware problem. If you connect the laptop to an HDTV, you could troubleshoot further to see if the problem is a poorly-connected or defective LVDS cable (video issue on laptop display does not appear on HDTV) or a defective GPU (video issue appears on both displays).

Regardless of the outcome, you should return the laptop to the retailer to exchange for a new unit. Don't let anyone talk you into an RMA for warranty repair, because the latpop problem will then be YOUR problem and you'll have to wait without a laptop while ASUS repairs it.

Damn... I'll hook it up to my TV and see from there I suppose : /

Okay. So I hoked up the laptop via HDMI. The issue was only present on the laptop and fine on the TV. Guess I'll be replacing it anyway?

dstrakele
06-12-2012, 10:47 PM
That would indicate (most likely) a poorly-connected LVDS cable, (less likely) a bad LVDS cable, or (less likely still) a defective display. If you are able to exchange it, do so.