PDA

View Full Version : audio update: sub woofer volume levels looks fixed with via audio 10500B

john_from_ohio
06-13-2012, 01:57 AM
I am guessing that the file I found ( via_audio_10500B.zip ... google for it ) is a beta that will be released officially pretty soon so you may want to want until out officially from asus support site.

After installing it and restarting I see this in device manager for the Via High Definition Audio

Driver version: 6.0.1.10500
Driver date: 5/4/2012
Driver Provider: Via TEchnologies Inc

Now this time around the Via HD Audio Deck works ... I can play something in Itunes and use either the windows volume control and/or Via HD Audio Deck to change the sound level ... and guess what ... the sub woofer volume adjust down up automagically!

I have not done much testing and to be sure we need to make sure that none of the weird things with headphones triggers strange behavior ... but it looks like we are either fixed or getting much closer.

Thanks asus and via ... and thanks to the guys posting here who were hinting that a fix was in the works.

I think the status at the moment is still "not quite officially released" ...

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 02:08 AM
hip hip horrey

Liquidus
06-13-2012, 02:11 AM
hip hip horrey

*hip hip hooray

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 02:14 AM
*hip hip hooray
oh sorry for spelling mistake..hey, how is you gpu temp in your g55/75(i dont know what model you got)? what is the highest temp using furmark?

_
06-13-2012, 02:15 AM
I am guessing that the file I found ( via_audio_10500B.zip ... google for it ) is a beta that will be released officially pretty soon so you may want to want until out officially from asus support site.

After installing it and restarting I see this in device manager for the Via High Definition Audio

Driver version: 6.0.1.10500
Driver date: 5/4/2012
Driver Provider: Via TEchnologies Inc

Now this time around the Via HD Audio Deck works ... I can play something in Itunes and use either the windows volume control and/or Via HD Audio Deck to change the sound level ... and guess what ... the sub woofer volume adjust down up automagically!

I have not done much testing and to be sure we need to make sure that none of the weird things with headphones triggers strange behavior ... but it looks like we are either fixed or getting much closer.

Thanks asus and via ... and thanks to the guys posting here who were hinting that a fix was in the works.

I think the status at the moment is still "not quite officially released" ...

Great to see! It's got to go through QA on our side before going on our product page. We can't recommend beta's officially as you'd imagine but if it works for you, great!

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Great to see! It's got to go through QA on our side before going on our product page. We can't recommend beta's officially as you'd imagine but if it works for you, great!
SO, is it better if we wait for it to come at the product page officially?

electric0ant
06-13-2012, 03:11 AM
i tried this last night, still does not resolve my issue.

plug in 3.5mm headphone and sound continues to play from the sub

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 03:32 AM
i tried this last night, still does not resolve my issue.

plug in 3.5mm headphone and sound continues to play from the sub
then something is seriously wrong with the audio hardware in your g55/75..

electric0ant
06-13-2012, 03:54 AM
then something is seriously wrong with the audio hardware in your g55/75..

i'm pretty sure its the driver.
with 6.0.1.10300 the sub volume would not change but when i plugged in headphones it would only play sound through headphones
with all the newer drivers, the sub volume changes but when i plug in headphones the audio stops when switching over to headphones, but then starts playing from sub again.

a few other users have this same issue... maybe I will do a completely clean install of windows 7 then install 6.0.1.10500 and see what happens

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 05:09 AM
with 6.0.1.10300 the sub volume would not change but when i plugged in headphones it would only play sound through headphones
with all the newer drivers, the sub volume changes but when i plug in headphones the audio stops when switching over to headphones, but then starts playing from sub again.

a few other users have this same issue... maybe I will do a completely clean install of windows 7 then install 6.0.1.10500 and see what happens
hopefully bro, because many users of the g55 can solve their problems even with the 10400 driver, so the 10500 driver should be fine and should solve the problem with g75 users too..please do a clean install and keep us updated. :)

Cecil_2099
06-13-2012, 07:41 AM

I can also confirm that the 10500 driver revision didn't fix the subwoofer sound while using headphones issue. I had the same problem when installing the 10500 drivers but didn't have that problem with the stock 10200 drivers originally.

Edit: Odd, I rolled back to 10200 drivers (uninstall and re-install) and now have sound coming from the sub as well as the headphones. Can confirm that 10200 drivers don't control the sub volume from either VIA or Windows audio. Uninstalled and re-installed 10400 drivers and have sound coming from the sub and headphones but the sub volume is now controlled. Uninstalled and re-installed 10200 drivers then upgraded to 10400 and now I get headphone-only sound (no sound out of sub) if I have the sub/LFE volume to 3 and the sub volume is also controlled.

john_from_ohio
06-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Edit: Odd, I rolled back to 10200 drivers (uninstall and re-install) and now have sound coming from the sub as well as the headphones. Can confirm that 10200 drivers don't control the sub volume from either VIA or Windows audio. Uninstalled and re-installed 10400 drivers and have sound coming from the sub and headphones but the sub volume is now controlled. Uninstalled and re-installed 10200 drivers then upgraded to 10400 and now I get headphone-only sound (no sound out of sub) if I have the sub/LFE volume to 3 and the sub volume is also controlled.

It is an odd combination of things that one has to do apparently to get it working correctly ... I also did some various combination of un-installing things and backing out drivers ( that unfortunately I do not remember exactly or in what order ) ... for me at this point it does all seem to be working.

At the time ( last night ) I installed the latest ( beta ) I was on 102 not 104 so maybe that is related. For me on 104 the Via Audio HD Deck was AWOL but is now working and the subwoofer level is changing and the headphones being inserted stop the subwoofer from playing ...

Liquidus
06-13-2012, 10:13 AM
oh sorry for spelling mistake..hey, how is you gpu temp in your g55/75(i dont know what model you got)? what is the highest temp using furmark?

G55, Around 90-95 max.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 10:17 AM
G55, Around 90-95 max.
Ok,thanks for info bro

eugene.nelson
06-13-2012, 11:24 AM
So I tried to download the driver which was hard to find a straight download for and after extracting it I ran setup. I ended up with no audio at all now. So i uninstalled all audio drivers and software and am running just what windows gives. I just couldnt figure out how you guys all got this damn driver working.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
So I tried to download the driver which was hard to find a straight download for and after extracting it I ran setup. I ended up with no audio at all now. So i uninstalled all audio drivers and software and am running just what windows gives. I just couldnt figure out how you guys all got this damn driver working.
this is what i did with the 10400 driver in my g55
1.uninstall the old 10300 driver,
2. let windows install its own generic driver
3. install the 10400 driver
voila, the driver works and all problems solved. :)

eugene.nelson
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
How do you install the 10400 driver. I have tried twice now and I get nothing. What exactly do I run.

eugene.nelson
06-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I did it one more time and it installed a HD VDeck on my desktop that does not open and my speaker in the toolbar says no speakers or headphones are plugged in. What do I do. All I did was extract the file and run the setup.

che0po
06-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Well that s pretty strange .
Most drivers ( v0002 and v0004) are like 127 MB .
this one is just 50 MB

I've downloaded the last version yesterday , the : VIA HD Audio driver 6.0.01.10500b ( marked as a may update ) from some websites ( like this one http://www.driversdown.com/drivers/VIA-HD-Audio-driver_103844.shtml ) 127MB , and i've noticed no change.

So today i discover that there is an other version , same number version tough , for only 50MB ?

i ll try it out tonight . But it is working or no ? i see some ppl saying that it worked by chance

eugene.nelson
06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Well that s pretty strange .
Most drivers ( v0002 and v0004) are like 127 MB .
this one is just 50 MB

I've downloaded the last version yesterday , the : VIA HD Audio driver 6.0.01.10500b ( marked as a may update ) from some websites ( like this one http://www.driversdown.com/drivers/VIA-HD-Audio-driver_103844.shtml ) 127MB , and i've noticed no change.

So today i discover that there is an other version , same number version tough , for only 50MB ?

i ll try it out tonight . But it is working or no ? i see some ppl saying that it worked by chance

I am not seeing anything on this site on how to download this driver.

Plus I can not get any sound anymore, if anyone knows something I dont which I am sure ya do let me know.

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I did it one more time and it installed a HD VDeck on my desktop that does not open and my speaker in the toolbar says no speakers or headphones are plugged in. What do I do. All I did was extract the file and run the setup.
After installing, you need to on the viahd audio deck manually by going to start ,programs...it does not automatically after installing..after that or next time you on your g55,it will on automatically

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 01:05 PM
I am not seeing anything on this site on how to download this driver.

Plus I can not get any sound anymore, if anyone knows something I dont which I am sure ya do let me know.
bro ,try my step on my last comment..in my g55 too is didnt on automatically after install...once i on it manually, all probs solved and are solved so far until this date

Leoballer83
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Where can I download the driver ? Thanks guys

john_from_ohio
06-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Where can I download the driver ? Thanks guys

Well the file that I used 127 mb is here ( one place (http://down3.driversdown.com/Sound/via_audio_10500b.zip) ) but I want to throw out several thoughts:

First this appears to be a BETA not a released version.

Second god knows how reliable finding stuff like this might be from the internet and protect yourself and your systems at all cost.

Minor rant ... some people have apparently picked up a much smaller file in an exe from somewhere else. I am not going to touch anything like that ... at least a zip file you can scan it and then unzip it and scan it again etc.

Third have some way of getting back before messing around with any kind of driver updates. I do a new system image on an external drive before any thing like this ... don't even want to think about possibly using windows restore points to back out something like this I would just fall back if needed by doing a whole system restore.

electric0ant
06-13-2012, 02:43 PM
I HAVE SOLVED IT!!!! YOU BASICALLY HAVE TO RESTART TWICE AFTER INSTALLING THE DRIVERS!!!!

Driver: V6.0.01.10400
After installing it will ask you to restart, and when it loads and you load up Via HD Audio Deck, you will see 4 devices: Speaker, Headphones, SPDIF Out, and Microphone. If you switch to expert mode you will have 4 tabs along the top with these 4 items. If you see this then the issue still occurs as the driver still see the headphones and speakers as seperate devices.
restart again and the headphones device will now be gone only leaving you with the other 3 devices, and wehn plugging in headphones no more sound comes from the speakers again! i restarted multiple times and headphones device has not appeared anymore! Happy Days!!

I find the beta drivers: V6.0.01.10500 to have issues adjusting the sub volume, it doesn't sync 100% with the main volume. i set everything at 0 and sub volume only goes up by half of what i set main volume to be e.g. main volume 50% sub volume 25%, main volume 100% sub volume 50%

so install V6.0.01.10400 drivers, restart twice and you should be all good!!

Arvinaaaaa
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I HAVE SOLVED IT!!!! YOU BASICALLY HAVE TO RESTART TWICE AFTER INSTALLING THE DRIVERS!!!!

Driver: V6.0.01.10400
After installing it will ask you to restart, and when it loads and you load up Via HD Audio Deck, you will see 4 devices: Speaker, Headphones, SPDIF Out, and Microphone. If you switch to expert mode you will have 4 tabs along the top with these 4 items. If you see this then the issue still occurIs as the driver still see the headphones and speakers as seperate devices.
restart again and the headphones device will now be gone only leaving you with the other 3 devices, and wehn plugging in headphones no more sound comes from the speakers again! i restarted multiple times and headphones device has not appeared anymore! Happy Days!!

I find the beta drivers: V6.0.01.10500 to have issues adjusting the sub volume, it doesn't sync 100% with the main volume. i set everything at 0 and sub volume only goes up by half of what i set main volume to be e.g. main volume 50% sub volume 25%, main volume 100% sub volume 50%

Congratz..finally
Congratz

john_from_ohio
06-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Ummm ... well good to have a theory ... BUT ... I could never even run the Via HD Audio Deck ( it would not come back when launched ) on 104 on my G75VW system. I certainly had a whole bunch more than one restarts at level 104 ...

john_from_ohio
06-13-2012, 03:10 PM

You fix that in 105 by adjusting the LFE level in Via HD Audio Deck ( which for me does not operate at all in 104 ).

Easiest example is to set the volume level for left and right all the way up and then pull the lfe level also all the way up. After that when you change the volume ( say to 1/2 way ) the LFE goes to 1/2 ... it follows/matches it completely.

If you set the volume level for left and right all the way up ( again ) but this time then pull the lfe level down to 1/2 way ... after that the lfe level stays/adjust to 1/2 the volume level of the speakers.

When you have the LFE level all the way up ( 100 percent say ) then it

john_from_ohio
06-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I can also confirm that the 10500 driver revision didn't fix the subwoofer sound while using headphones issue. I had the same problem when installing the 10500 drivers but didn't have that problem with the stock 10200 drivers originally.

For me it seemed last night like the headphone issue ( sound also coming out from sub ) was fixed at 10500 ... but a little more testing today and it is back as an issue.

Having the sub change volume levels though when the overall volume changes is a big step forward though. Some people had it working appparently based on reports at 10400 ( but not me ... Via HD Audio Deck would not even come back for me at that level ).

Oh well ... interesting ... going to mute my sound again!

che0po
06-13-2012, 03:55 PM
So you guys are speaking about the headphones/sub issue ? This one was fixed for me when i've donea frech install .

The issue im speaker about is that the hole 2.1 system is not working good . i mean i have my G73 near to me , and the sound on the G73 is just like +50% louder !

To try this out , play a song with VIA drivers installed , unstall drivers and reboot , play again the same sound . You will lose the LFE/sub but the 2 others speaker are gonnaproduce even more sound than the G73 ..

im ***** confused :confused:

Edit : Ok guys , i ve uninstalled all via drivers i have and rebooted . download this driver http://www.station-drivers.com/page/viachip.htm( Crt+F of 6.0.01.10500b) . installed and then rebooted twice .

Sound test via VIA HD is low , but the one comming from Windows is loud , very loud . I mean it s so loud that the speakers start to do some "cric cric " ... i had to reduce master volume to 95% to avoid saturation .

Well , it s a good point but im a bit disapointed . I expected the new G75 sound system to be better than the G73 ( wich was the same for the G72 , in 2009 ) . I think that they just use the same systems :/

Still , even if the LFE is controlled , the mix betwin them is very bad, and i can still hear a difference betwin the 5.1 G75 and my 5.1 external sound system . Im not speaking about sound power of cours but sound fidelity . Until now , G73 sound system is better to hear

EDIT2 : I have to admit that the sound is not that bad , i've tried some songs , quite good . I just wana push Asus to use better speakers :) . i mean , they are using the same since G72 ! lol .Cmon , work with bose to beat MSI dyaudio ! ! :D

Schrodinger
06-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, just read the thread and I don't see that anyone else has this problem: If I restart with headphones in, sound still comes out of the sub (but I don't know it because of my noise-cancelling headphones, which makes me look like a jackass). I have the G55 and the audio driver version is 400. My Vdeck works and I can adjust volume and if I take out the plug and put it back in, the sound stops playing from sub. Thoughts?

eugene.nelson
06-13-2012, 11:41 PM
I am sorry guys but I have done everything but the sound system is not even showing up under the drivers. No sound system is showing up at all.

john_from_ohio
06-13-2012, 11:54 PM
I am sorry guys but I have done everything but the sound system is not even showing up under the drivers. No sound system is showing up at all.

What shows up in device manager exactly under the category of "Sound, video and game controllers"? I have Bluetooth Audio Device, NVIDA High Definition Audio, and VIA High Definition Audio ...

Do you have a good backup that you can get back to if needed? Never mess around with this stuff without a path home ...

Unde actions for Device Manager you can remove something and then re-scan for hardware changes ...

eugene.nelson
06-14-2012, 12:04 AM
NVIDIA HD Device and an Unknown device that auto drivers always fail to install.

I believe I can do a restore to an earlier point If I must.

eugene.nelson
06-14-2012, 12:07 AM
SRS Audio or something or another keeps telling me that the audio system is unidentified or not found.

"Unable to find a compatible SRS Audio Device"

john_from_ohio
06-14-2012, 12:20 AM
NVIDIA HD Device and an Unknown device that auto drivers always fail to install.

I believe I can do a restore to an earlier point If I must.

I am more a linux database geek than a windows hacker ... but one thing to try is disabling or removing the unknown device.

Maybe some restarts combined in there somewhere ... and then try the scan for hardware changes which should start over with putting drivers in ...

eugene.nelson
06-14-2012, 01:26 AM
I just went back to my rollocer 10200 i can not get this one to work om my g75

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 06:17 AM
I just went back to my rollocer 10200 i can not get this one to work om my g75
:( can it work with the 10200 driver?

eugene.nelson
06-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I did it!! I retried this whole process again after a good sleep and was able to get 10500b to work. HOORAY!

Here is the but. It does not work any different for me than 10400. Yes it now has left and right speaker controls, but the LFE switch worked on 200 for me and it is the same here. The highs and mids are still screaming out of the subwoofer too. The speakers sound loud to me but am not sure the sound quality is as good as it can be. The difference in sound quality from my tests was minimal if any from 200 to 400 to 500b. Plus I do not have anything to compare the sound to besides my bose wave radio which is really good. I hope these sound as good someday. We will see. I have tested out the audio plug minorly and have not seen any problems just plugging them in and out. Is there some other test I should be doing to help?

john_from_ohio
06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Plus I do not have anything to compare the sound to besides my bose wave radio which is really good. I hope these sound as good someday.

??? What ??? This is a laptop with a slightly better than average laptop sound system ...

eugene.nelson
06-14-2012, 12:47 PM
LOL I was just saying.

_
06-14-2012, 12:51 PM
FYI everyone: I just found out that VIA released this publicly even before we received it. It's currently going through our QC processes now so please understand this is completely untested and nothing specifically to do with the G series.

_
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM
I did it!! I retried this whole process again after a good sleep and was able to get 10500b to work. HOORAY!

Here is the but. It does not work any different for me than 10400. Yes it now has left and right speaker controls, but the LFE switch worked on 200 for me and it is the same here. The highs and mids are still screaming out of the subwoofer too. The speakers sound loud to me but am not sure the sound quality is as good as it can be. The difference in sound quality from my tests was minimal if any from 200 to 400 to 500b. Plus I do not have anything to compare the sound to besides my bose wave radio which is really good. I hope these sound as good someday. We will see. I have tested out the audio plug minorly and have not seen any problems just plugging them in and out. Is there some other test I should be doing to help?

Did you uninstall the VIA drivers completely first before installing the new drivers? Otherwise the updates won't apply properly. (You probably needed to uninstall the SRS stuff too if it's causing issue).

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
FYI everyone: I just found out that VIA released this publicly even before we received it. It's currently going through our QC processes now so please understand this is completely untested and nothing specifically to do with the G series.
that's a relieve

che0po
06-14-2012, 07:53 PM
??? What ??? This is a laptop with a slightly better than average laptop sound system ...

As i said , the g73 sound system is , for now , better that g75 ...