PDA

View Full Version : OC

iluvatar
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi,

I have a g53 with a 460m and wanted to try some overclocking. I've never done it before, so I don't really know what to do. I don't want a monster oc, just something to give me a few more fps. I've downloaded msi afterburner and it looks pretty simple to use. Does anyone know what a stable clock is for that card?
Core clock is at 675 and can go up to 880mhz.
Memory is at 1250 and can go to 1625.
How much do i have to increase the frequencies to get a good result?
Also, why does it not display shader frequency in msi?

Will a small oc decrease the lifetime of my gpu? Is it worth doing it?

Sry for so many questions, hopefully someone can shed some light on this :)

brecker
06-13-2012, 11:54 PM
there are lots of tutorials arround the net on how to proceed to oc... basically you raise the clocks little by little and test if the system is stable until you reach an unstable clock, then you raise the voltage a bit and test again, keep raising the clocks and voltage and monitoring the temperature...

a small oc can decrease the lifetime of the gpu... procesors have an stimated lifetime of 5 years... you can expect them to be less if you oc...

if you fail to monitor the temperatures correctly you could fry your gpu... the card probably has three independent sensors, you should read the values of all of them and not the average value...

if you draw more power to oc your machine you will draw more power from the psu, which i'm not sure how much spare it has to be asking for more power...

also you can expect battery to last less while you using your system oced...

i personally don't like having temperatures above 80~85 degrees... my 460m does 70~75 on stock values, ocing it will easily make it gain those extra degrees... so i would also have to tamper with the fan settings to reduce the temperature...

i don't think you can gain much performance unless you do a badass oc and have fans screaming to cool the notebook down or you modify the cooling system to be more efficient... either way, will those extra 10 fps are worth all the hassle?

I'm not a gamer though... i use my machine mainly for coding... i ventured in ocing a few years ago when they realized you can process information much faster on gpus... i don't think you can get more than 10-15% more out of the card with the stock cooling maxed out... that was my experience with desktops though... it could be less given that there is less room for air on a notebook...

i don't think it is worth it... maybe someone disagrees with me though...

Zygomorphic
06-15-2012, 01:17 PM
@illuvatar, @brecker is right. The thermal envelope in notebooks, is such that there is really no head room for an overclock that means anything. The slight bit you can gain through afterburner without lowering the life-span of your GPU is so small that except for benchmarks, you woll not even notice it. If that G53 is not fast enough, look at investing in a gaming desktop, where there is plenty more cooling and the ability to really run the system :cool:.

Even without touching the voltages, the clock speed increase jumps the temperatures by potentially a significant amount. If you are dead-set on OC'ing it anyway, look at this tutorial that ASUS put out:
http://rog.asus.com/96782012/graphics-cards-2/a-simple-guide-to-overclocking-your-graphics-card-with-gpu-tweak/

iluvatar
06-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Thx for your answers. I guess I'll not take the risk with ocing. I already have enough problems with the laptop the way it is, as I was just reminded -.-

Zygomorphic
06-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Thx for your answers. I guess I'll not take the risk with ocing. I already have enough problems with the laptop the way it is, as I was just reminded -.-

No problem, we are always glad to help! Desktops are the way to go for overclocking though. I have no problems with my laptop, and it is plenty fast for all I do. No need to overclock--Yet! :cool: