PDA

View Full Version : G75 bluetooth not showing in control panel/can't connect blue tooth devices

qrawrbo
06-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Hi,

Is anyone else having this problem? I ordered the RS-72 version and upgraded to the intel 6235 w/ bluetooth from gentechpc.com

I don't see bluetooth in the control panel, and when I try to add a device it won't connect.

I looked in device manager and I see the atheros bluetooth bus under system devices.

Any ideas?

_
06-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Have you turned Bluetooth on using FN+F2 keys?

waynes26
06-14-2012, 02:55 AM
You might have to uninstall the original drivers "Atheros" and install the correct drivers for your Intel 6235 device.

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 03:19 AM
use the intel driver,not atheros...atheros is for the default bluetooth driver before you upgraded it

dstrakele
06-14-2012, 06:22 AM
I remember Brody posting that it is important to uninstall the Atheros WLAN from Device Manager BEFORE attempting installation of the Intel 6235 or 6300. Failure to do so causes problems with the Intel installation. If I remember correctly, he even advised a user to reinstall his Atheros card, so it could be properly UNinstalled.

Unfortunately, I was unable to locate his post. Maybe he'll see this and weigh in.

qrawrbo
06-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone,

I am back with the resolution. It appears their is an issue with the Asus Wireless Console 3 program. After it was uninstalled it worked after a reboot.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Mr Moonwalker
12-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I"m having a hell of a time with my Bluetooth on my G75. Is it at all possible that I don't have a bluetooth adapter on my computer.

I have tired installing and uninstalling switching from the Atheros and Intel drivers but it has made no difference. I have also tried wireless console but there is no bluetooth icon that is selectable.

Can someone please give me a hand. I'm reasonably tech savvy and have always been able to work these things out in the past but this has me stumped.

dstrakele
12-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Bluetooth is a hardware feature. If it doesn't exist on your laptop, it cannot be enabled by installing drivers or other software. If it IS installed, the Bluetooth radio should be detected by Windows and displayed as a device in Device Manager.

It is possible your WiFi card does not have Bluetooth. What Wireless Network Adapter is displayed under Network Adapters in Device Manager?

Mr Moonwalker
12-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

That's exactly what I'm trying to find out but I assumed that all the recent G75's would have the same wifi adapter in them, here is a pic of my device manager. 14477

I also assumed that when i went to look at the latest drivers for my computer that because there are bluetooth drivers available that it meant it was a hardware option that covered all G75 models.

I have played around with recent and past drivers from the Asus download drivers section but i'm having no love. It would be quite a shock to me if they put a network adapter without bluetooth functionality but that's the way it's starting to look

dstrakele
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
ASUS has put different hardware in the same model laptop in the past. As an example, the G74SX systems shipped with either an Atheros WiFi card with Bluetooth or an Intel WiFi card with WiMax and no Bluetooth. The ASUS Support website displays drivers for both cards.

However, the AR9485 in your G75 does come with Bluetooth. What happened when you installed the Atheros Bluetooth driver? Did it give you an error?

Did your laptop ship with Windows 7 or 8? What version are you currently running?

Did you have this problem right out of the box? How long have you owned this laptop?

rewben
12-02-2012, 02:45 PM
your screen shot has Other Devices with a question mark shown. do you mind expanding that as well? it's weird though, by default if you had a bluetooth device, Microsoft will install its version of bluetooth driver, like mine (i didn't install the bluetooth driver from Atheros):

if possible, please tell us the model of your g75. also, is your machine a custom-built or stock?

dstrakele
12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
You can see your Atheros WiFi card appears differently in your screenshot compared to that of @Mr Moonawalker. I suspect @Mr Moonwalker's attempt to install the Atheros driver to the Intel/WiMax card (without Bluetooth) may now make it appear like an Atheros card in Device Manager by changing it's "Hardware Ids" value. He should uninstall the Atheros driver and reboot to let Windows 8 install its Plug-N-Play WiFi driver, so the true Hardware Ids will be revealed.

Alternatively, the G75-xxxx model number of his laptop will help determine which WiFi card is installed.

Mr Moonwalker
12-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Once again thankyou for you reply :)

Well the good news is it does have bluetooth now just how to get it to work. I believe that it was working but I cannot confirm 100% because I did not check.

I did put a SSD in just after purchase running the original licence for Windows 7 Home Premium that was shipped on the Laptop. I used mainly the driver disc and then went and updated to the latest drivers from the website. The laptop is now a month old.

Other things I have tried:
:Checking the BIOS to see if i manually had to turn it on. No luck.
:Checked my CCleaner to see if I hadn't deleted the process at start-up but once again I couldn't find anything.
:When I installed the separate Artheros Bluetooth driver nothing was discoverable (even though there were things there 100%)
:I find it strange that there is nothing in the device manager that shows a bluetooth device at all.

What do you think my next plan of attack is... I'm really getting towards the end of my knowledge on this subject

dstrakele
12-03-2012, 02:36 AM
I think the first plan of attack is to find out the G75VW-xxxx model number of your laptop.

Mr Moonwalker
12-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Sorry I didn't see the multiple responses.

your screen shot has Other Devices with a question mark shown. do you mind expanding that as well? it's weird though, by default if you had a bluetooth device

The other devices is an Ethernet controller that I just haven't bothered reinstalling just yet. I will now go and uninstal the drivers under network adapters and try again.

The computer isn't really a custom build just has a SSD upgrade and an additional stick of RAM, details on sticker below

rewben
12-03-2012, 04:00 AM
oh, please take the photo down(it has your serial number).

ok you have a G75VW-T1120S, with a fresh install. er.. how do you know that the bluetooth is working?

when i disabled my bluetooth (using fn+f2 keys), it will not be listed in the device manager. but when i turned it on, it is listed (like my reference image above). so i am suspecting the same as what @dstrakele pointed out too. it's either that or you have a bad part.

also, when i checked out the model (google), most of them only stated that you have a WIFI but there was none highlighting bluetooth.

dstrakele
12-03-2012, 05:09 AM
In order to have Fn+F2 functionality to turn on the Bluetooth radio, the ASUS ATK Package drivers must be installed. Do you see an "ATK Package" displayed in Control Panel?

I've yet to find a G75VW-T1120S online advertisement with Bluetooth listed in the specifications, so it's still questionable if you have this feature. I was hoping one of the ASUS employees that respond to posts on this forum could answer this question.

If do get around to uninstalling the WiFi driver, REBOOT and bring up the Properties on the WiFi Adapter to report the "Hardware Ids" value in the "Details" tab of the Wireless Network Adapter Properties of Device Manager.

Mr Moonwalker
12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Yeah I still haven't had any love with it, it is possible it seems that I do not have bluetooth for this device I guess. Quite sad because I now have a great Bluetooth speaker set I planned to use it with

It would be nice to hear from one of the ASUS employee's but I won't hold my breath. I guess all i can really do is to get a 3rd party USB bluetooth dongle.

Mr Moonwalker
12-06-2012, 03:39 AM
What if I was to get another wireless card for my G75? Is it possilbe/compatible, I'm assuming it would be considering the chassis offers different options of wireless cards. Is this approach likely to cause me to pull out my hair and what's it likely to cost? Any information would be great :)

rewben
12-06-2012, 04:04 AM
yes, you can do that. just make sure it has both wifi and bluetooth modules. two that i know of is intel 6235 (around USD30 at ebay) and killer 1202 (much expensive). there might be other wifi cards that are newer and better, i'm not sure.

the downside is you have do a teardown of your laptop to access the place where they put the card (hence warranty void); you have to remove all related drivers before the actual hardware installation (i've learned that it's PITA if you didn't remove them first).

Mr Moonwalker
12-07-2012, 03:52 PM
yes, you can do that. just make sure it has both wifi and bluetooth modules. two that i know of is intel 6235 (around USD30 at ebay) and killer 1202 (much expensive). there might be other wifi cards that are newer and better, i'm not sure.

the downside is you have do a teardown of your laptop to access the place where they put the card (hence warranty void); you have to remove all related drivers before the actual hardware installation (i've learned that it's PITA if you didn't remove them first).

Looks like a small USB bluetooth dongle it's gonna be then

rewben
12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
well, why don't you send it to the local service center to have a look, since we couldn't have any conclusive results?