PDA

View Full Version : New G55VW Issues

Teezy
06-14-2012, 06:55 AM
I just bought a G55VW off of Amazon. I seem to be having some problems:

1. GPU Idle Temperature is ~52 C, running FurMark it topped out at 78 C (1090 Points, 11 FPS, 78 C) I've read that my idle temperature should be around 30 C and GPU should never go over 60 C?

2. Speakers make a popping/crackling noise. I haven't been able to reliably duplicate this EXCEPT during start-up, it'll make a popping/crackling noise a couple of times before I load to my desktop.
The same noise will occur a few times during game play or normal operation.

I have read about the VIA driver issues on these forums, but I don't hear anyone mentioning this specific problem that I'm having, could it be hardware related? I do have the 6.0.1.10400 driver installed.

3. I don't have a SC2 disk on hand to test how it runs, but D3 and LoL run at 60+ FPS with near maxed settings, but both games will occasionally get stutters. Neither game should be incredibly demanding so I don't see stutters being normal.
The only programs that run in the background are Skype and Chrome (with 3 or less tabs).

Can anyone help me out? Are these things normal and can be fixed with drivers or do I have some sort of hardware problem?
I can provide more information if it'll help. Thank you!

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 07:00 AM
THE GPU TEMP IS NORMAL..MY GPU IDLE AT 47C and furmark top 82c WITHOUT ANY COOLER PAD and i off the fan and aircond in my room..i already asked marshall about this..and he says it is fine, as long at it is stable and no throttling.

the via driver is not hardware related, i uninstalled the old driver and installed the new drive(10400) and all problems solved.DEFINITELY NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM

THE OTHER questions i cant help you, i played crysis 2 at maxed setting for half hour and no stutters

twister123
06-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi teezy,

The problem with GPU temp has been repeatedly asked in the forum. Mine also idles at around 45C.
There might be some problem with our batch of laptops. One of the other members has tried replacing the thermal paste on his laptop, and it has made the temperature normal again. But of course this voids our warranty, so it's not the recommended way
to go.

Who knows maybe Asus will tell us soon if there is a problem with our laptops.

Teezy
06-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Hi teezy,

The problem with GPU temp has been repeatedly asked in the forum. Mine also idles at around 45C.
There might be some problem with our batch of laptops. One of the other members has tried replacing the thermal paste on his laptop, and it has made the temperature normal again. But of course this voids our warranty, so it's not the recommended way
to go.

Who knows maybe Asus will tell us soon if there is a problem with our laptops.

Wouldn't this be a hardware problem then? If the warranty covers it can't we just get a replacement? I don't see this causing any problems soon, but if something happens to our laptops after the 1-Year warranty wouldn't we be out of luck if we don't send it in?

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Wouldn't this be a hardware problem then? If the warranty covers it can't we just get a replacement? I don't see this causing any problems soon, but if something happens to our laptops after the 1-Year warranty wouldn't we be out of luck if we don't send it in?
ya..i know that it wont cause any problems, and asus have 2 years international warranty...only way is to wait until warranty finish, and then we open and apply thermal paste again

BUT ANYWAYS,according to marshall(asus hq) the temp is the gpu is normal and wont cause any problems..so looks like we have to just wait

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 07:14 AM
even my friend g55vw highest temp is 79c sing furmark.

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 07:17 AM
btw, asus will give in replacement if only problems occur :( dissapointing

twister123
06-14-2012, 07:18 AM
well as long as there's no problem in our laptop then the temp is fine.

But i'm definitely going to repaste the heat sink after 2 years

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
well as long as there's no problem in our laptop then the temp is fine.

But i'm definitely going to repaste the heat sink after 2 years
of course, that is a must, and after 2 years, we r free to do whatever we want with the g55/75:D

Teezy
06-14-2012, 07:57 AM
All these responses about the GPU temperature make me feel better. I guess I'll just have to re-apply the paste after 2 years. Thanks guys!

I'm still wondering about the popping/crackling noises I hear from my speakers. Does anyone else get this problem?
I can always replicate this on start-up. It occurs randomly throughout use.

And still curious about the FPS stutters I get in games.

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 08:05 AM
All these responses about the GPU temperature make me feel better. I guess I'll just have to re-apply the paste after 2 years. Thanks guys!

I'm still wondering about the popping/crackling noises I hear from my speakers. Does anyone else get this problem?

during startup, the dvd rom will make a sound(normal sound just windows checkingif there is any dvd in the dvdrom)..occurs one time on startup and occure if you use any application that uses the dvd rom like windows media player...r u sure it is not this sound from the dvd but from the speakers? :)

Teezy
06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah I heard the DVD-Drive when I was making backup discs. I'm 100% sure it's one or more of the speakers. It usually crackles when I am doing something related to audio. If I mute my speakers before shutting off, the speakers won't make the sound on startup.

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Yeah I heard the DVD-Drive when I was making backup discs. I'm 100% sure it's one or more of the speakers. It usually crackles when I am doing something related to audio. If I mute my speakers before shutting off, the speakers won't make the sound on startup.
this is not normal, have you updated the audio drivers to the 10400..one another possibility is that maybe the speakers are defective or got electromagnetic disturbance in your room..but this is not a normal issue

Teezy
06-14-2012, 08:23 AM
this is not normal, have you updated the audio drivers to the 10400..one another possibility is that maybe the speakers are defective or got electromagnetic disturbance in your room..but this is not a normal issue

Yes I have already updated to 10400. I had a feeling my speakers were defective. I doubt there's anything causing a disturbance with my laptop, although it is a possibility. I do agree that it isn't a normal issue.

The sound is non-existent when I plug in headphones.

Hopefully someone from ASUS sees this and can give feedback on it.

Liquidus
06-14-2012, 07:58 PM

For the FPS stutter, try uninstalling McCafe or w/e stock anti-virus software.

KryanSA
06-15-2012, 02:35 PM
I have a distortion/vibration issue just below the enter key. when i press down there (quite firmly) the sound is ok, but otherwise it crackles and pops sometimes too.

get a replacement? where can I upgrade to newer speaker drivers?

Woots
06-16-2012, 04:34 AM
Just to put GPU temps into perspective here... and I am speaking globally here from PC standpoint not just laptops.

40-85c is standard range depending on cooling solution, gpu load, case layout, and environment ambient temps.

85-90c is a bit worrisome but still within range of tolerant for modern GPU specs.

90+c is when you have to start getting concerned and shut down the game.

I have seen cards purposely driven to burn out to test GPU range and they usually break down around 105C+ depending on brand.

Usually 105-108c is the full up fail point. 100+c is usually permanently damaging in some form even if it is shut off in time and permitted to be cooled down there is some form of permanent damage.

Having said that... monitoring your GPU temps is very important thing to do as a gamer. There are a handful of rogue games that can have run away frame rates and literally push you card endlessly to failing. So watching GPU temps on every new game you get is important until you can trust the software your using to avoid this.

I once damaged a card to a game that did this once. I even was using automated fan temp curves to ramp up my fan to 100% as temp went up it still didn't matter.. card shot up to 102c and the only thing that made me realize it was I started to see purple/green flicker bars across the screen and it instantly dawned on me I am overheating, alt tabbed to see the temp and force shut down the machine instantly. It was too late though even though the card functioned after that point, it kept causing random blue/black screen shut downs. Was a lesson learned at the cost of 550 bucks. Now I always watch my gpu temps on every new game just waiting for another rogue game to strike. I am careful not to get to complacent.

At any rate... I wouldn't get nervous about that low temp it honestly is on the cooler side of the spectrum of what modern GPU's can push safely. If you do see a game though pushing your card up into the 90+ c range .. shut it down immediately and start cutting back graphics settings (use vsync to to force slower frame rates if you suspect run away frame rate bug). If all the common sense tweaks don't force your card to the cooler end of the spectrum on that particular software.. avoid the temptation and just pul the plug on the game for good on that hardware setup... it's not worth burning your rig for 1 game.