PDA

View Full Version : Serious Matter: G55vw heat COMPARED TO lenovo y580.

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 11:05 AM
ok..so both of the laptop have same specs with the gpu and others..BOTH 660M nvidia

so i tested my g55 with furmark and got up to 82c, i played crysis and got up to 79c maxed settings,...at first, i thought it is normal because mote of users are same temp and some even got higher..
this is my g55 in full hd

this is my friend g55 in full hd

all of us thought this is the normal temp...looks normal,UNTIL!! I SAY THE LENOVO Y580...IT IS CHEAPER THAN THE G55..even the cooling of the g55 is far more better than the y580..but wait, looks at the results of the y580 below:

he tested his y580 in 1680x1050

then he tested in full hd(1920x1200)

and guess what the temp is lower than the g55( he can get higher burn in scores and higher frames than the g55
this is his thread link: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2383549 under full load, his gpu temp is at 68 to 73c)

and furthermore, a guy opened up his g55vw and add thermal paste again(repaste) and his g55 under full load is 65c only(compared to others users like me who got 82c and some got higher(92-95c) ) this is his link : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16966-Poor-Quality-Control-on-ASUS-product-in-my-case-ASUS-G55VW&country=&status=

now im not comparing the g55 with y580..but the g55 cooling system is said to be the best and better than the y580, but y r we getting high temp when the guy repaste and got only 65c under full load..

please asus experts including MARSHALL, please advice and tell us if got any problem with the g55 current stock..our gpu dont deserve this high temps..

thank you

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 11:09 AM
ps, im NOT telling that the gtx 660m in g55 heat dissipation is not normal..is just how did the guy who repaste get 65c under full load and the guy with y580 got lower temp than us? his ROOM TEMP IS THE SAME AS MINE AND MY FRIENDS

twister123
06-14-2012, 11:35 AM
This is quite serious, my G55 also has this problem. Shouldn't we expect our laptops to run fine without any need for us to do any serious maintenance on it ?

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 11:41 AM
This is quite serious, my G55 also has this problem. Shouldn't we expect our laptops to run fine without any need for us to do any serious maintenance on it ?
ya..please more people comment here and am waiting for asus expert to comment here too..very serious matter with all g55 now..i just dont understand we have to open up the g55 and repaste the thermal paste to get it full load under 65c(the guy who repaste also said got a plastic blocking the heatsink and gpu)??? this is not normal guys..

not only your g55 bro, all the g55(except the guy who repaste it) and maybe a very very few users lucky to have the good g55.

_
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Not all G55, let's remain rational here. A half dozen people have commented it's hotter than expected but still a stable laptop. I've passed on the serial numbers and the team in HQ are checking if there's abnormalities with those batches.

EDIT: After investigation we've found no abnormalities in our processes. 80'sC is considered fine.

JoNe91
06-14-2012, 12:54 PM
@Arvinaaaaa
my 93C GPU for 10mins of furmark test.

twister123
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks marshall for the attention.

It's not that we're panicking, it's just that when you buy an expensive laptop you expect it to work without any problems. The fact that a user had to reapply thermal paste on his laptop before it reached the normal temperature that everyone has been showing is just not right. He also found that there was a plastic film covering his heat sink (how could this have happened ?)

We're just wondering if the machine that we've bought for quite some money might have problems that it shouldn't have

_
06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
If you are under a return date limitation and feel it will be an issue in the future, try to get it replaced, otherwise, if it's still stable it will be OK. We're looking into it, but the cases are so far few and far between.

EDIT: After investigation we've found no abnormalities in our processes. 80'sC is considered fine.

JoNe91
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Those who get over 80C on GPU - please send me your serial numbers if you haven't already. Aaaa - did you give me yours yet?

If you are under a return date limitation and feel it will be an issue in the future, try to get it replaced, otherwise, if it's still stable it should be OK for now. We're looking into it, but the cases are so far few and far between.

what's the return date limitation? how to get it replaced?

twister123
06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Unfortunately the stock for my country is very limited. I had to wait for a month before my laptop was ready.

It's not that unsatisfied with my laptop, but if it was supposed to be better then why not ?
I'm just hoping that if there was a problem that you would inform us in the future.

Thanks

_
06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
what's the return date limitation? how to get it replaced?

Some countries have 14 days/30 days etc. Others are more liberal.

It's not that unsatisfied with my laptop, but if it was supposed to be better then why not ?
I'm just hoping that if there was a problem that you would inform us in the future.

Thanks

Of course, but we have to track and check all aspects: from design to manufacturing, which requires co-ordination, testing and feedback of many people. Is it a component design variation, component manufacturing variation, G series manufacturing mistake, driver misreporting temp, damaged thermal probe, was it damaged in transit, what's the process to fix if it is a problem.. all thisand more is evaluated every time we get a problem reported.

Since your notebooks are still stable and not so hot you can't touch them, it's not wholly obvious (but also a good indication it could be not as bad as we fear!)

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Those who get over 80C on GPU - please send me your serial numbers if you haven't already. Aaaa - did you give me yours yet?

If you are under a return date limitation and feel it will be an issue in the future, try to get it replaced, otherwise, if it's still stable it should be OK for now. We're looking into it, but the cases are so far few and far between.
already send to you..and thank you for advice..in malaysia, the g55 is super limited and currently out of stock..and malaysia, asus do not replace the defected laptop in any period of time:
1. because no stock
2. they think the service center can solve any problem.

and the service by asus in malaysia is very bad(have to wait at least 1 to 2 months for problem to be solved).

electric0ant
06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
ok..so both of the laptop have same specs with the gpu and others..BOTH 660M nvidia

so i tested my g55 with furmark and got up to 82c, i played crysis and got up to 79c maxed settings,...at first, i thought it is normal because mote of users are same temp and some even got higher..
this is my g55 in full hd

this is my friend g55 in full hd

all of us thought this is the normal temp...looks normal,UNTIL!! I SAY THE LENOVO Y580...IT IS CHEAPER THAN THE G55..even the cooling of the g55 is far more better than the y580..but wait, looks at the results of the y580 below:

he tested his y580 in 1680x1050

then he tested in full hd(1920x1200)

and guess what the temp is lower than the g55( he can get higher burn in scores and higher frames than the g55
this is his thread link: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2383549 under full load, his gpu temp is at 68 to 73c)

and furthermore, a guy opened up his g55vw and add thermal paste again(repaste) and his g55 under full load is 65c only(compared to others users like me who got 82c and some got higher(92-95c) ) this is his link : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16966-Poor-Quality-Control-on-ASUS-product-in-my-case-ASUS-G55VW&country=&status=

now im not comparing the g55 with y580..but the g55 cooling system is said to be the best and better than the y580, but y r we getting high temp when the guy repaste and got only 65c under full load..

please asus experts including MARSHALL, please advice and tell us if got any problem with the g55 current stock..our gpu dont deserve this high temps..

thank you

on that webpage he seems to be using a laptop cooler? was that running during the benchmarks?
also there is inconsistency with the furmark scores you posted, he gets a much higher score with the higher res? that doesn't make sense.
I'm not saying he is making things up but i want to make sure he is running the same test under the same settings.

while i am also getting 83C on full load on gpu, but i think the cooling on the G55 is definitely going to be quieter than on the lenovo. Even when I am running the laptop on full load with the fans maxed out it is practically still silent.

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
on that webpage he seems to be using a laptop cooler? was that running during the benchmarks?
also there is inconsistency with the furmark scores you posted, he gets a much higher score with the higher res? that doesn't make sense.
I'm not saying he is making things up but i want to make sure he is running the same test under the same settings.

while i am also getting 83C on full load on gpu, but i think the cooling on the G55 is definitely going to be quieter than on the lenovo. Even when I am running the laptop on full load with the fans maxed out it is practically still silent.

i pmed him, and he told me that when he running the test, he did not use any cooler pad nor any air conditioner..

and i also realized that the results does not make sense, but it is still results and the results show that the gpu max temp is lower than the g55 gpu max temp..regarding the same test, that i dont know :)

regarding the quieter cooling in the g55 than the lenovo, i think it is so true..but frankly, i dont care about the sound but more on the max temp of the gpu in the g55 :)

i see that you have managed to rule out the y580 :) but, what do you have to say about the guy that repaste the thermal compound and found a plastic that is blocking the gpu and heatsink from contact? before he did it ,his gpu max temp was around 84c..after he did it, his gpu in his g55 under full load max is ONLY 64C..explain this bro :) thank you and here is his link http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16966-Poor-Quality-Control-on-ASUS-product-in-my-case-ASUS-G55VW&country=&status=
y does his gpu under full load 64c while our above 80c???

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 02:40 PM
@Arvinaaaaa
my 93C GPU for 10mins of furmark test.

thanks..and you got 93c without even doing the fullhd test.. :(

electric0ant
06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
just wanted to give an update. I just reran furmark a few times. it seems the score is higher the longer you run it.
i believe that you and him both ran the standard 1080 15 min test as it shows about 10593 frames. that is the figure i got as well. i got roughing the same score. and this time i got 72C max. i remember that last night when i got 83C max i was also running CPU benchmarks at the same time as well, this might explain the higher temp as both fan would be competing for cool air.

one thing to note, while running furmark it said my gpu was throttled to 815Mhz?

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 03:36 PM
just wanted to give an update. I just reran furmark a few times. it seems the score is higher the longer you run it.
i believe that you and him both ran the standard 1080 15 min test as it shows about 10593 frames. that is the figure i got as well. i got roughing the same score. and this time i got 72C max. i remember that last night when i got 83C max i was also running CPU benchmarks at the same time as well, this might explain the higher temp as both fan would be competing for cool air.

one thing to note, while running furmark it said my gpu was throttled to 815Mhz?
Ya, it shouldnt throttle, I dont know y it is throttling..maybe it is normal..do you think I should run the test again..looks like everytime people run the test, different results appear..

Btw, you still didnt amswer me regarding the guy that repaste his thermal compound and got 64c max under full load

electric0ant
06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Ya, it shouldnt throttle, I dont know y it is throttling..maybe it is normal..do you think I should run the test again..looks like everytime people run the test, different results appear..

Btw, you still didnt amswer me regarding the guy that repaste his thermal compound and got 64c max under full load

yeah i read that post, he did say there was a piece of plastic blocking the heatsink? but if you repaste you do tend to get lower temperatures as you would use higher quality paste. I am getting 72-73C so that seems fine to be, but those getting 80C + it doesn't sound quite right.

I don't expect the G55 to have lower temps for the GPU under high load, just expect it to be quieter.

I think the test that should be run on furmark for comparision is the "Burn-in Benchmark 1920x1080 15mins" as that will have predefined settings and 15mins should be long enough to get the GPU to max temp.

Arvinaaaaa
06-14-2012, 04:55 PM
yeah i read that post, he did say there was a piece of plastic blocking the heatsink? but if you repaste you do tend to get lower temperatures as you would use higher quality paste. I am getting 72-73C so that seems fine to be, but those getting 80C + it doesn't sound quite right.

I don't expect the G55 to have lower temps for the GPU under high load, just expect it to be quieter.

I think the test that should be run on furmark for comparision is the "Burn-in Benchmark 1920x1080 15mins" as that will have predefined settings and 15mins should be long enough to get the GPU to max temp.
Ya,i already ask him to run that test..waiting for his reply

dstrakele
06-14-2012, 05:55 PM
...looks like everytime people run the test, different results appear...

As the great Mark Twain once said, "There are lies, damn lies, statistics, and reported benchmark results..."

JoNe91
06-14-2012, 07:02 PM
thanks..and you got 93c without even doing the fullhd test.. :(

yes.. WITH cooler pad somemore

Liquidus
06-14-2012, 07:54 PM
yes.. WITH cooler pad somemore

you definitely need to repaste.

skyrider
06-15-2012, 01:10 AM
oh wow... i am surprised to see that a laptop that is much lighter and limited in fan capabilities (compared to G55VW) can achieve such results. how about the fan noise though? does it stay relatively silent like G55VW under such heavy loads?

Arvinaaaaa
06-15-2012, 01:32 AM
oh wow... i am surprised to see that a laptop that is much lighter and limited in fan capabilities (compared to G55VW) can achieve such results. how about the fan noise though? does it stay relatively silent like G55VW under such heavy loads?
t i dont know bro, you should ask the owner or the y580 straight :)

wolfz
06-15-2012, 01:42 AM
ps, im NOT telling that the gtx 660m in g55 heat dissipation is not normal..is just how did the guy who repaste get 65c under full load and the guy with y580 got lower temp than us? his ROOM TEMP IS THE SAME AS MINE AND MY FRIENDS

well in my case, Mine was not exactly unstable - i got this screen tearing/artifacts after running full load for 10 minutes...and random slowdown/lag due to nvidia gpu throttling down due to the temprature.....

I did try to contact authorized asus distributor for a fix w/o luck since they said they only imported 5 pieces for my country....and all sold out..this n that ...running arround....without any good end result....

Not like in the states where you guys get ample supply of the laptops. SO they can do exchanges or something if bad things happen.

In my case I just said " SCREW THE ASUS WARRANTY".....IMHO they should pay me because I did the job for them.

JUST BIG FYI if you want to repaste and make sure the heatsink seated properly - you will VOID your WARRANTY - because there's a void warranty label on one of the screws securing the heatsink on to the motherboard.....

And ASUS this problem with poor quality control of the assembly not just happened with g55/75 series.......they are already started with g53/73 series.....

SHould pay more attention to your factory aseembly line ..............................

Arvinaaaaa
06-15-2012, 01:48 AM
well in my case, Mine was not exactly unstable - i got this screen tearing/artifacts after running full load for 10 minutes...and random slowdown/lag due to nvidia gpu throttling down due to the temprature.....

I did try to contact authorized asus distributor for a fix w/o luck since they said they only imported 5 pieces for my country....and all sold out..this n that ...running arround....without any good end result....

Not like in the states where you guys get ample supply of the laptops. SO they can do exchanges or something if bad things happen.

In my case I just said " SCREW THE ASUS WARRANTY".....IMHO they should pay me because I did the job for them.

JUST BIG FYI if you want to repaste and make sure the heatsink seated properly - you will VOID your WARRANTY - because there's a void warranty label on one of the screws securing the heatsink on to the motherboard.....

And ASUS this problem with poor quality control of the assembly not just happened with g55/75 series.......they are already started with g53/73 series.....

SHould pay more attention to your factory aseembly line ..............................
ya in my country(malaysia)stock is limited too..might need to wait 2 to 3 months before the very very limited stock arrive in malaysioa

thanks bro for advice, can you post a screenshot of you g55 gpu at max tamp(64c as you said) using FURMARK test in full hd(1920x1080)? would be very much appreciated:)

dbassnut
06-15-2012, 01:52 AM
already send to you..and thank you for advice..in malaysia, the g55 is super limited and currently out of stock..and malaysia, asus do not replace the defected laptop in any period of time:
1. because no stock
2. they think the service center can solve any problem.

and the service by asus in malaysia is very bad(have to wait at least 1 to 2 months for problem to be solved).

I agree with Arvinaa on the Asus Malaysia support. I've emailed them about 5 times & the standard answer that I get is
"We will check this for you" & "We don't know".
I actually got my answers from you, Marshall.

Arvinaaaaa
06-15-2012, 01:57 AM
I agree with Arvinaa on the Asus Malaysia support. I've emailed them about 5 times & the standard answer that I get is
"We will check this for you" & "We don't know".
I actually got my answers from you, Marshall.
and to think that we have to go to asus malaysia service center to ask a replacement if something is wrong with the g55 heat, that is just not acceptable..anyway, no replacemant policy in malaysia :(

wolfz
06-15-2012, 03:25 AM
ya in my country(malaysia)stock is limited too..might need to wait 2 to 3 months before the very very limited stock arrive in malaysioa

thanks bro for advice, can you post a screenshot of you g55 gpu at max tamp(64c as you said) using FURMARK test in full hd(1920x1080)? would be very much appreciated:)

I'll try to do it tonight when i have the time......
I guess it is the same customer service @ malay and @ indonesia -- they r both sucked big time.....
For a premium price product they give us a not so premium service........:mad::mad:
even the the regular computer store i bought it from said they wont stock any asus G series unless someone special order one since the G series gave them so much problems....

So many people complaints ..... but still till now.... I dont think ASUS heard us all the complaints....

We would've thought with the new generation series g55/75 they will already learn from past.....:eek:

JednaPiroga
06-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Maybe I'm a little bit oftopic, but i ran furmark on my G75 and i didnt get past 67+ celcius. Furmark was going for 20 minutes in 1080p. My G53sx got to 80c+ at max temp. Which is really good too.

fussylogic
06-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Seriously hope that this max temp is normal for G55

wolfz
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM

as promised not exactly 65C a bit over due to the weather as of lately.......

this is a G55 system not a lenovo system.... btw...............

kiba
06-15-2012, 07:01 PM
strange, as the lenovo y580 has an inadequate cooling design for gaming compared to the g75/55

Arvinaaaaa
06-18-2012, 07:31 AM

as promised not exactly 65C a bit over due to the weather as of lately.......

this is a G55 system not a lenovo system.... btw...............
ol you are doing the test in 1280x720 resolution only..of course your temp will be at 65c..try doing the test in full hd

Jaru
06-26-2012, 10:40 PM
:mad: serious problem..
can't clean the fans,
can't upgrade all ram,
can't add msata,
can't repaste thermal grease,..
can't, can't can't can't!!!
is all because we afraid loosing our warranty!!!
come on Asus... good game!

Liquidus
06-27-2012, 12:28 AM
:mad: serious problem..
can't clean the fans,
can't upgrade all ram,
can't add msata,
can't repaste thermal grease,..
can't, can't can't can't!!!
is all because we afraid loosing our warranty!!!
come on Asus... good game!
haha, I think you're using "good game" wrong :P. It's usually just GG, which means the game has ended in most RTS or other multiplayer games.

You can clean the fans, use a compressed air can. Why do you need to upgrade the ram? You can replace the two sticks present for bigger RAM, which should give you more than enough RAM. (The least amount you can have is 8gb, which is stock on the lowest module).
Can't repaste thermal grease? I think you void your warranty on anything if you do that.. really, is there any need to do that? If there is (temps going 80-90 rapidly) then you should probably just replace it.

Good game, indeed.

Jaru
06-27-2012, 08:34 AM
haha, I think you're using "good game" wrong :P. It's usually just GG, which means the game has ended in most RTS or other multiplayer games.

You can clean the fans, use a compressed air can. Why do you need to upgrade the ram? You can replace the two sticks present for bigger RAM, which should give you more than enough RAM. (The least amount you can have is 8gb, which is stock on the lowest module).
Can't repaste thermal grease? I think you void your warranty on anything if you do that.. really, is there any need to do that? If there is (temps going 80-90 rapidly) then you should probably just replace it.

Good game, indeed.

yeah..at least, they should giving the authorized dealer permission to do that without voiding my warranty..
i want to add the non accessible ram slot with my 4gb x2 corsair vengeance 1600mhz ram..
+add msata for os,.
+ my current gpu temps is 79c on need for shift game <- i think this is not a normal temps for new kepler chip..

sadly asus customer service is bad here in malaysia.. i dont want to wait wasting my time 2-3month return it to the asus factory for upgrading + replace the thermal paste,,
...Peace...

desailly
06-27-2012, 03:51 PM
yeah..at least, they should giving the authorized dealer permission to do that without voiding my warranty..
i want to add the non accessible ram slot with my 4gb x2 corsair vengeance 1600mhz ram..
+add msata for os,.
+ my current gpu temps is 79c on need for shift game <- i think this is not a normal temps for new kepler chip..

sadly asus customer service is bad here in malaysia.. i dont want to wait wasting my time 2-3month return it to the asus factory for upgrading + replace the thermal paste,,
...Peace...
hi guys can we just stick back to the topic? instead of bad mouthing customer service. u can probably do it somewhere else or in another thread

heres my share for furmark. let me know if i did the right test. cheers

deepcool0922
06-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Lenovo Y580

Stress CPU, GPU & HDD for 45 minutes...Lazy to wait till 1 hour.

Picture Before Start.
http://i45.tinypic.com/ioq0cn.jpg

Picture After 45 minutes Stress CPU, GPU & HDD.
http://i48.tinypic.com/2sbua1w.jpg

Picture Test start at 0356. End at 0441.
http://i49.tinypic.com/x0zhub.jpg

Picture Stress Test report from other (China Tester).
http://i48.tinypic.com/10g0a55.jpg

CPU temperature maintain btw 82-92. Most of the time on 88-89. I recorded a video, the upload speed so slow...

After 10 mins, HDD back to 54.

burnneck
07-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Reading the thread here seems the ones that are having the heating problem is those from southeast asia, Indo and Malay. maybe its those G55 that went to that region. Im inclined to speculate that maybe the batch of g55 that was specifically destined for southeast asia. Unless some one from US or Euro region says otherwise. Or since South East Asia is more humid and hotter than those that are in US and Euro is another way to look at the problem.

Liquidus
07-04-2012, 06:57 AM
Reading the thread here seems the ones that are having the heating problem is those from southeast asia, Indo and Malay. maybe its those G55 that went to that region. Im inclined to speculate that maybe the batch of g55 that was specifically destined for southeast asia. Unless some one from US or Euro region says otherwise. Or since South East Asia is more humid and hotter than those that are in US and Euro is another way to look at the problem.

Mine from USA was going up to 90c for GPU. I think it's random.

TechMaxed
07-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Mine from USA was going up to 90c for GPU. I think it's random.

Mine in Malaysia did the 15min 1080p test with a temp. of 76C..

chrsplmr
07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
This is fascinating.
One question.. OP.. Why is there only 4gb of memory on your G ? (not that this has anything to do with anything)
I think the key is in the 'paste'.c.

Shawnnepc
07-04-2012, 06:05 PM
I'd like to chime in here

Based on what I know about supply chains and mass production of computers i'd say that in some of these units ASUS may have switched to a different brand of thermal paste/pads.

As it's not always possible for these vendors to keep up with large scale productions, large tier 1 companies often need to purchase multiple different products. Sometimes these products don't perform exactly the same.

I'm sure the engineers @ ASUS have an acceptable range of heat numbers in which the laptops can tolerate.

It could also very well be that the material ASUS used was defective. I've encountered plenty of bad batches of paste in my career

nolifer
07-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Hey guys! I know I'm dropping in, but I am interested in buying a G55 and I would like to avoid the issues above mentioned. Therefore, I would be grateful if you could help me with a couple of questions:
1) The software that you're using to test the temp is this one http://www.geeks3d.com/20120510/furmark-1-10-1-gpu-burn-in-stress-test-videocard-geforce-radeon/?
2) Does it influence in any way if you are testing it on a Windows 7 64-bit Home edition and not Pro or Ultra?
3) Should I test it in 1920x1080 for 15 minutes benchmark? If so, a result lower than 80 degrees is considered OK?

Thank you very much for your help :)

RecceDG
07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
My FurMark 15 min test at 1080p 8x AA got up to 76C.

It ramped up to about 74C pretty quickly and then slowly raised to 76C

That's in an air conditioned room with about 25C ambient temperature.

DG

ykgen
07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
hi guys, my G55's CPU hit 92c when playing BF3, furmark test shows GPU temperature at 86c

i'm from Malaysia, normal room temperature is around 30c

when I'm in an air-conditioned room, my CPU temp will go below 90c when playing BF3.. not sure if this is consider normal?

btw, I only experience over 90c temperature after upgrade the bios to version 209.. sigh

my overheat thread here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18726-G55-overheating&country=&status=

ykgen
07-11-2012, 03:07 AM
to all G-armies,

i'm sure you all have gone through the furmark stress test on your GPU, dare to take on the CPU stress test?

download here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/22074...elburntest.html (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/220743-cpu-stress-test-using-intelburntest.html)

I set the stress level to very high (didn't dare to try the maximum level as it uses all your available memory) and I used core temp to monitor the temperature.

test result shows that the cpu runs stable BUT i got new highest CPU temp recorded on core 0 at 94c!!!

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l596/skgiam/coretempt.jpg

try n share your result here :clap:

ImperfectLink
07-11-2012, 03:07 AM
I purchased a G55VW (Ohio USA) last week and Furmark temp for GPU is 82C at 1920 for 15mins. The CPU temp hits just over 90C in OCCT default settings. The issue may not be local to Malaysia.

ykgen
07-11-2012, 04:16 AM
I purchased a G55VW (Ohio USA) last week and Furmark temp for GPU is 82C at 1920 for 15mins. The CPU temp hits just over 90C in OCCT default settings. The issue may not be local to Malaysia.

ok.. your info makes me feel better with my feverish G55

ImperfectLink
07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I did a little reading on the temperatures and the max temp for the 3610qm is 105 degrees C. When I do rendering tests, the temps are in the mid 80's. I just purchased so I don't know if this is normal. Can someone from Asus reply on what we should be seeing here?

ykgen
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
it's important that we can the most updated temperature monitoring software.. I was using an old version of core temp which gave me high temperature, the latest core temp shows a lower temperature ;)

Holy
07-11-2012, 03:39 PM
ive seen the mid 80's while folding proteins. and thats for 16 hours in a row with all 8 threads at 99%(at 3100mhz a core). the temp readings are pretty accurate as i use HwInfo64. but you should never see 90 seeing as my max has been 87 when i kept it up for 18 hours.

_
07-12-2012, 02:28 AM
I did a little reading on the temperatures and the max temp for the 3610qm is 105 degrees C. When I do rendering tests, the temps are in the mid 80's. I just purchased so I don't know if this is normal. Can someone from Asus reply on what we should be seeing here?

Mid 80s is not bad. As long as it doesn't crash or keep going higher over time you're fine.

If you're Folding on it then mid 80s is good. Folding puts a LOT of consistent stress on the GPU.

EddieINspace
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
strange, as the lenovo y580 has an inadequate cooling design for gaming compared to the g75/55

There are dozens of threads even on the Lenovo forums that complain about both "jet engine sounding" fans on the Y580 and incredibly high temps, artifacts, and shut offs. A few days ago I picked up a Y580 I ordered at bestbuys, and it confirmed the heat issues that I did not know of until I used it. Picked up a G75 yesterday and it is night and day both in terms of fan noise and heat generation firmly in favor of the ASUS.

Best,

E

G55vw
07-18-2012, 04:34 AM
room Temp 26-27c
location HK.

Liquidus
07-18-2012, 04:48 AM
room Temp 26-27c
location HK.

G55VW...? You NAMED YOURSELF G55VW?!?! YOU FOOL, DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?

colpolite
07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Okay moment of truth.

If this is really a batch issue for certain parts/region of the world then can the g55 users with the high temps issue provide us with the model after g55vw-XXXXXetcc.

So far in United States the batch models are DS71, ES71 and RS71, then Amazon carries the AS71.

Then i know Canada has some diff model number variants also and in asia or Europe.

By doing this, maybe we can solve and track where the problem is coming from and maybe a quality control issue from one of the factories where Asus G series are being manufactured.

Problems like loose plastic film being stucked inside the heatsink, or improper pasting of thermal compound or like the horror past issues with g73jh where the screws was not properly tightened and the heatsink was not allign and in full proper contact with the cpu/gpu.

Thanks and please tell us your model/region number for your G55.

kiba
07-18-2012, 07:11 PM
G55VW...? You NAMED YOURSELF G55VW?!?! YOU FOOL, DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?
lolz, ^this

There are dozens of threads even on the Lenovo forums that complain about both "jet engine sounding" fans on the Y580 and incredibly high temps, artifacts, and shut offs. A few days ago I picked up a Y580 I ordered at bestbuys, and it confirmed the heat issues that I did not know of until I used it. Picked up a G75 yesterday and it is night and day both in terms of fan noise and heat generation firmly in favor of the ASUS.

Best,

E

i had very similar issues w/ the msi gt780r that i got before returning it and getting a g75, it had an inadequate design where the cpu and gpu shared a corner vent... garbage imo

lexlex
07-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Hi all.

My temp is 94 degree after 15 mins 1980 furmark test. Below is my screenshot.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2629/furmarkw.jpg

Please advise if there is normal?

I have heard about great Cooling of g55 that's why I bought it. Disappointed now...

ImperfectLink
07-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi all.

I have heard about great Cooling of g55 that's why I bought it. Disappointed now...

Yeah mine is the opposite, the CPU is high and the GPU stays cool. I think Asus must have tried to cut corners with the new line since the new chips are supposed to run cooler. I have a touch of buyer's remorse myself.

If I were you, I'd return it and roll the dice on a new one.

_
07-23-2012, 01:47 AM
Hi all.

Please RMA this, there is a problem with your G55.

lexlex
07-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Please RMA this, there is a problem with your G55.

Hi. Is RMA meaning return to the shop I buy from ? My g55 is only 3 days old. And I'm sure if I send back to the retailer I bought from, they will just send it to the service centre.

dstrakele
07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
If your G55 is only 3 days old, see if the retailer will allow you to exchange your defective overheating laptop for a new unit rather than RMA. Once you RMA the laptop for Warranty repair, it's yours and you must wait for ASUS to repair it. Most retailers have an exchange/return policy of at least 14 days. Take advantage of this and exchange your defective laptop.

lostSyntax
07-24-2012, 01:53 AM
I have a week old G55vw purchased through Amazon. The model # is an es71. I almost did not purchase this laptop because of this thread, so the first order of business after unboxing it was to run Furmark. The test ran fine, 69c. After a week of gaming I ran it again and the results are consistent. There is definately something not 100% right with these g55vw's running close to 90. I hope Asus figures out where the manufacturing break-down is, because the systems built correctly should be running great. I'm hoping to get at least a year and a half out of this unit before noticing a severe increase in heat issues and then another half year before upgrading again.

The room I ran this test in was a comfortable 67-69f. (20c?)

c_man
07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Most of them are OK. If you get a bad one, just return it. I did a test in Max Payne 3.

Stock run GPU hit 68C (room temp 32) with almost everything on highest possible setting.

OC run (+135Mhz and some memory I can't remember) GPU hit 70C, same settings in game.

In 3dmark 11 stock I have like 2550 (if I remember this right) and with OC I had +3200. It looks like it can keep this nicely during gaming.

_
07-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Our thermal engineers are looking at this thread again, but generally speaking the GPUs are rated to go to around 100C. If it's stable below this, it's technically rated as 'normal'. There are slight differences in GPU manufacturing (current leakage etc) and product manufacturing that can vary the temp several degrees but it's not 'abnormal'. We've investigated any batch issues and didn't find any correlation - we had submissions from Asia, EU and US.

We focus on making the machine as quiet as possible - balancing stability with noise. This is the reason your G55/G75 doesn't sound like a rocket. ;)

Btw: Even if the Lenovo spec is the same, you cannot directly compare two laptops as the construction materials, thermal and power design can be grossly different.

ImperfectLink
07-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Can someone test OCCT or something with their CPU temps? I've seen mine hit 92, Core2 is consistently 6-8 degrees cooler than the others in all tests and I'm concerned. If this thing can't handle rendering every day then I won't be able to use it.

The keyboard also chirps/squeaks especially the spacebar. I paid a few hundred dollars more than the alternatives (with more features like msata) and carrying more weight so I expect everything to be perfect.

lexlex
07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Our thermal engineers are looking at this thread again, but generally speaking the GPUs are rated to go to around 100C. If it's stable below this, it's technically rated as 'normal'. There are slight differences in GPU manufacturing (current leakage etc) and product manufacturing that can vary the temp several degrees but it's not 'abnormal'. We've investigated any batch issues and didn't find any correlation - we had submissions from Asia, EU and US.

We focus on making the machine as quiet as possible - balancing stability with noise. This is the reason your G55/G75 doesn't sound like a rocket. ;)

Btw: Even if the Lenovo spec is the same, you cannot directly compare two laptops as the construction materials, thermal and power design can be grossly different.

Hi , if that's the case , it means my gpu is normal even tho it hit 94 degree with furmark test ?

iBoody
07-24-2012, 04:17 PM
This is my benchmark test on FurMark under room temperature is at 29c. Could this be treated as normal figure???

ImperfectLink
07-24-2012, 10:47 PM
This is my benchmark test on FurMark under room temperature is at 29c. Could this be treated as normal figure???

86 degrees with an ambient of 29 degrees is pretty good I would say. Even desktops would have similar numbers. What are the results for your CPU under load?

_
07-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Hi , if that's the case , it means my gpu is normal even tho it hit 94 degree with furmark test ?

Depends how much you care. It's still stable and 'within spec' but I would probably return it for a cooler one.

ykgen
07-25-2012, 03:54 AM

normal to me..

iBoody
07-25-2012, 05:58 AM
normal to me.. yes, and also @ImperfectLink I have posted full senson infos of mine on this attachment (http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10403&d=1343160283) under a separate thread. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19626-G55-GPU-Temperature-Thresholds-and-Fan-speeds-(on-Fully-Loaded)&country=&status=)

But now I only care about why this G55 not showing it GPU fan speed!!! As you guys can see, dstrakele's sensor infos clearly showing Fan speeds but not in my G55. This is so frustrating!!! even SpeedFan does only shows CPU fan and GPU meter shows my GPU is at 0 rpm... :rolleyes:

Any ideas?? especially G55 owners!!

c_man
07-28-2012, 07:04 PM
86 degrees with an ambient of 29 degrees is pretty good I would say. Even desktops would have similar numbers. What are the results for your CPU under load?

I would say it is not that normal for a G55. My G55 was like 71C in a 32C room.

My Fermi GTX 670M in the G75 tops a 75C (same room temp).

iBoody
08-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Finally I have replaced my overheated G55 to a new one. My earlier one was always stay between 86-93c region in an ambient temperature of 32c (89.6F) / FurMark FHD 15min test. But my newest one stays only around 68-72c in a same ambient Temp. !!!!!

I also personally didn't believe these Asus G55 models has serious issue with it's thermal compounds/heat sinks. But unfortunately this has convinced me those model can have defective/overheated once. That's damn sure. I have suffered a lot with this issue since I brought my first G55. I argued lot with MarshalR(Richard) regarding this issue over and over. But as a summary, If you have got any overheating G55 and has ability to replaced,,Please do it. Because those higher temperatures are not normal for a notebook like this,,, even your in a new Kepler arc.

yes, and also @ImperfectLink I have posted full senson infos of mine on this attachment (http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10403&d=1343160283) under a separate thread. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19626-G55-GPU-Temperature-Thresholds-and-Fan-speeds-(on-Fully-Loaded)&country=&status=)

But now I only care about why this G55 not showing it GPU fan speed!!! As you guys can see, dstrakele's sensor infos clearly showing Fan speeds but not in my G55. This is so frustrating!!! even SpeedFan does only shows CPU fan and GPU meter shows my GPU is at 0 rpm... :rolleyes:

Any ideas?? especially G55 owners!!

ImperfectLink
08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Can you do a Cinebench render and maybe a OCCT run to see what temps your CPU (processor) hits?

I did a furmark run today and the GPU hit 77 degrees at 83-86F ambient.

Kyogezsho
08-07-2012, 06:11 PM
is it normal to have fps 14? its kinda low isnt it ?

sorry its first time doing furmark test .

c_man
08-07-2012, 07:14 PM
It's normal for 660M. 670M stock will do about 50% more points.

desmond0806
10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Read his urself... about the Y580...
I dont think it can produce a lower heat and still produce better results... laptops don simply giv u a 60-65 degree Celsius reading when it is really under load...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y580-20994BU-Laptop-Review.78974.0.html

c_man
10-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I think I've said this at some point. Y580 is not at all better than G55.

calin.duma
11-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi,

it appears that the assembly is of poor quality on some laptops.
I got the same high temperatures when playing Crysis, bot CPU and GPU at 80 degrees celsius.

After cleaning and reapplying expensive thermal compound now I get 70 degrees for CPU and 65 for GPU playing same thing

I do not recommend this procedure to be done by yourself since you lose your warranty and risk to brake your expensive laptop

Edmund
11-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks marshall for the attention.

It's not that we're panicking, it's just that when you buy an expensive laptop you expect it to work without any problems. The fact that a user had to reapply thermal paste on his laptop before it reached the normal temperature that everyone has been showing is just not right. He also found that there was a plastic film covering his heat sink (how could this have happened ?)

We're just wondering if the machine that we've bought for quite some money might have problems that it shouldn't have

thermal paste? what's that? and how does it work?

dstrakele
11-21-2012, 03:04 AM
Thermal paste (or thermal grease) allows efficient transfer of heat from the CPU and GPU to the heatsink by filling in any air spaces between the back of the processor where it contacts the bottom of the heatsink. Air acts like an insulator, inhibiting heat flow if air gaps are present.

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134 discusses thermal grease and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3gx6c62D7I shows how to apply it.

arkmnrd
11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Looks like I have the same problem. i play Borderlands 2, dishonored, GW2, AC2 and my GPU and CPY temps are around 75-79degrees when using HWID CPUID monitor on my G55VW. Will try using furmark on this one

bellinibean
11-28-2012, 11:22 PM
the Y580 is a PIECE!! I went through 2 of them in the course of a month. First one had multiple hardware and software failures and was sent in for repair. Repair was done and got BSOD upon initial setup haha! Sent it in and demanded a new laptop, which was granted. Currently for sale, New in box.

Point is, if cooling is the only issue on the y580, consider yourself lucky. My G75 blows it away in all areas.

wantedzai
11-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Stock

OCed +135/+400...hmmm I wonder if repaste can make the temps lower....I wish I had 65c :(

phyx
01-05-2013, 11:29 PM
G55vw cpu temp problem
Hello. I got my first Asus ROG yesterday and after installing some games and updated some drivers i started playing. and while i was playing i was checking out the temp on the GPU and CPU. with games like cs:go and SWTOR the GPU is 65celsius which seems amazing. but the CPU hitted around 87-88c.

I thought to myself that it seems to high with this sort of cooling system. but im not sure. I stress-tested it with prime95 and the CPU got to 89-90c. and if i want this problem fixed, who do i contact?

Edit: Winter time over here in Sweden so i prbly have around 20-22c in the apartment. how will this get affected in the summer when it can hit 25-27c in the apartment?

eycel
01-06-2013, 01:26 AM
I own a y460, same thing as y470 and Its always ran great and built like a tank, I run a server with it 24/7 and its been going for a year now without one crash or any problems what so ever. The heat can get up there if you dont prop it up and put a fan on it while playing demanding games but other then that its top notch quality and lenovo is a top notch manufacturer of laptops!!

Nani_AP
01-11-2013, 07:14 AM
my g55 was from usa and it still have the same prob and guess what ? when i took it to the service center here in india ,the guy couldn't fix it and even dropped it and damage the screen badly.

Nani_AP
01-11-2013, 07:15 AM

my g55 was from usa and it still have the same prob and guess what ? when i took it to the service center here in india ,the guy couldn't fix it and even dropped it and damage the screen badly

FlareGTX
02-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Same thing but my laptop run really stable i think u should see the G55 cooling fan
check here yourself
http://pokeflaregtx.deviantart.com/art/Asus-ROG55-cooling-fan-354993847?ga_submit_new=10%253A1361174584

Vicodin
03-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Regarding the initial post, I can give you some feedback on my furmark results on my Asus G55vw. I have only ran it 3 times, all 3 times were full 15 min 1920x1080 burn in. Here is what my results were

1st run GPU @ Stock settings resulted in 75c max temp

2nd run GPU Overclocked @ +135/+250 (Core at 1085 mhz / Mem clock at 2750 mhz) resulted in 80c max temp

3rd run same exact settings as 2nd run, except I was messing around and pulled the hard drive bay cover off of the bottom of the laptop and put my dual fan cooling pad underneath just to see what would happen. The results were 76c max temp.

StarkReVera
08-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Bought a G55 a month ago. At the end of the next month I'm going to university in the UK, but I'm originally from Eastern Europe and I bought the laptop from there. I bought it precisely because of the cooling system, which most people said was really great. Laptop seemed hotter than what I'd read in the reviews, so I decided to run the Furmark full HD burn-in test. GPU reached 94 degrees Celsius with a room temperature at around 26 degrees celsius. I didn't want to take it apart myself and replace the thermal paste, because it would void my warranty. I took it to an authorized service center yesterday, I should get it back in about three days. I'm hoping they can fix this without having to replace the laptop, since here it would probably take more than a month to replace it(if it's even an option, and it better be an option). I've really heard nothing but good things about ASUS and have had no problems with their products so far, so I guess like others in this thread it's simply a case of bad luck. If it's of any interest, I probably have a newer batch, since the CPU is a 3630Q. I also upgraded to the latest version of BIOS that's available for it shortly after buying it. I will probably update this post when I get it back and tell you how it went. Here's to hoping it can get solved without them replacing it.

StarkReVera
07-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Forgot to update this earlier, so it only took 11 months :D

Anyway, they returned my laptop after two weeks and it was still reaching 90 degrees Celsius when running the 1080p Furmark burn-in. I didn't have time to send it in again, so I was stuck with it until now(summer 2014). I tested it with Furmark every 3 months or so and it stayed at around 90. From March 2014 on it still hit 95 and sometimes more. I had lots of problems with the sound, namely that after connecting external speakers they would emit horrible screeching noises several times a second, until a restart. Not a software issue, did the same on linux. About a month ago the GPU started overheating horribly and I started having graphic artefacts and geometry errors in games. Last week the HDD died. I returned to my the country I bought it from last week and I sent it to the service centre with the following problems

1.GPU reaching 96+ degrees celsius when under stress. Graphics artefacts and geometry problems in games.
2.Audio emitting horrible noises after about 20 minutes of activity, especially if you spend a few minutes without playing any sounds on the computer
3.Dead HDD within a year

Now I was probably lucky enough to get the most defective G55 ever, but when spending that amount of money I didn't expect it to not be fit for purpose, especially within that timeframe. Anyway, it's in the service center right now. I'm hoping they'll replace it, for I see no way for them to fix the GPU, the overheating and the sound problems without replacing the entire motherboard, which would likely be impossible. Will update this again when I get it or a replacement laptop back.