PDA

View Full Version : G74SX (91310Z) Low FPS near smoke

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Hello guys. I have annoying issue when playing games. My FPS drastically drops near smoke in every game. For example in Bad Company 2. I can run game with 1920*1080 and everything "High" and AA off with 30-50 FPS. But if I'm near smoke, it drops to only 15-20 FPS. This issue is in every game I'm playing: ArmA2, BF3, COD4, Crysis 1,2 etc.

This issue is with every G74SX or its just me? How can I solve this problem? Cuz with my old laptop with only 512 MB GPU and 2,2 Dual Core CPU I never had this problem...

My GPU is overclocked to 890/1780/1600 and using newest 301.42 drivers. Downgrading drivers to 296.10 has no effect.

Thx1138
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Did you try cleaning out the fans/ fan vents?

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Did you try cleaning out the fans/ fan vents?

Nope, because my laptop is only 5 days old :)

Thx1138
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Since your G74 is only 5 days old, I might be a good idea to take it back, since this could be a graphics card problem.
Also, I watched a G74sx video of Battlefield, on what looks like high settings. He gets around 50-60s FPS but drops to high 40s around explosions and higher poly areas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl1tkjL-nI0

brecker
06-14-2012, 05:42 PM
try throttlestop as well, there is a sticky named attention sandy bridge owners which contains a link for download

also you sure your oc values are stable? try setting them on stock

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Since your G74 is only 5 days old, I might be a good idea to take it back, since this could be a graphics card problem.
Also, I watched a G74sx video of Battlefield, on what looks like high settings. He gets around 50-60s FPS but drops to high 40s around explosions and higher poly areas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl1tkjL-nI0

Hmm, I don't think this is hardware GPU problem because its happening only near smoke. Hoping someone with G4SX will confirm FPS drops. Or I will have to reinstall Windows :(

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 06:16 PM
try throttlestop as well, there is a sticky named attention sandy bridge owners which contains a link for download

also you sure your oc values are stable? try setting them on stock

Yes, I'm using TS since I've got this laptop. Resetting to factory clocks makes FPS drop even worse xD. I think I'm phucked :( Google-ing this trouble didn't found solution. One guy said OC-ing to 890 helped him, but I have OC-ed GPU to 890 since second day. In forums I've found solutions only for SLI users. Changing values in nVidia CP has no effect. The only thing that helped was changing resolution to only 1280*720 just because my FPS was +-70 and it dropped to less than 30 in smokey scenes. I don't want to play games in this resolution because screen is extremely blurry and I can't see **** :/ I don't want to reinstall Windows cuz I'm scared I'm going to loose all data with no effect again :( And I really don't think its hardware GPU issue because its happening only in smokey scenes. It must be software issue. I'll bet my worthless life on it :D Thanks for respond Sir.

Thx1138
06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
What are your GPU temps while gaming?

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 06:31 PM
What are your GPU temps while gaming?

When I was testing it was 65 or 68. But normally when I'm playing games for more than hour its between 70-75.

dstrakele
06-14-2012, 06:32 PM
...I don't want to reinstall Windows cuz I'm scared I'm going to loose all data with no effect again :(

If you had used Windows Backup and Restore to backup a Windows System Image, you could simply restore that earlier System Image, and if it had no effect, you could restore the current System Image (you just recently backed up) to get back to where you are now and try something else. It's a LOT easier than reinstalling Windows from scratch and you don't have to worry about data loss...

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 06:46 PM
If you had used Windows Backup and Restore to backup a Windows System Image, you could simply restore that earlier System Image, and if it had no effect, you could restore the current System Image (you just recently backed up) to get back to where you are now and try something else. It's a LOT easier than reinstalling Windows from scratch and you don't have to worry about data loss...

Ah yeah. When I bought this laptop there was Windows and all things from DVD already installed. Do you think that clean installation can help?

dstrakele
06-14-2012, 06:51 PM
It is possible, since all of that other ASUS stuff running could be hindering performance. You could also do a clean Windows install as a dual boot, and if it doesn't resolve your problem or you just don't like it, remove the instance and go back to your original Win 7 instance. Again, no data loss...

Alternatively, you could try using a Windows Clean Boot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135) to troubleshoot your current installation.

I have an ASUS Factory Win 7 install and a clean Windows 7 instance as a dual boot for redundancy's sake. I like the clean Windows install much better - you may feel the same after trying it.

You could also try checking DPC Latency with DPC Latency Checker, to see if it is robbing you of performance. If you have an Atheros WiFi card, the Atheros drivers earlier than 9.2.1.432 are notorius for causing all kinds of issues on G74SX systems.

In addtion, driver conflicts from Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, and Disk Management software are the usual suspects in performance, lockup, and BSOD issues.

Lastly, you may be experiencing an NVIDIA issue. I recommend contributing to the Official Feedback Thread on the NVIDIA Forum for the NVIDIA driver version you're running.

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 06:55 PM
It is possible, since all of that other ASUS stuff running could be hindering performance. You could also do a clean Windows install as a dual boot, and if it doesn't resolve your problem or you just don't like it, remove the instance and go back to your original Win 7 instance. Again, no data loss...

I have an ASUS Factory Win 7 install and a clean Windows 7 instance as a dual boot for redundancy's sake. I like the clean Windows install much better - you may feel the same after trying it.

Okay, I'll try clean installation. Thanks to everyone.

dstrakele
06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Also check out some of the other troubleshooting options I added to my previous post that you can try on your current installation.

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Also check out some of the other troubleshooting options I added to my previous post that you can try on your current installation.

Okay, I made clean installation but 2nd HDD wont apear... I dont know what to do now. Now i have only 1, 500GB HDD.

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Im reading in manual something about 2nd HDD lock in BIOS. Reinstalling again with this option. Hope it helps.

scuk1nho
06-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Problem solved by using Disk Management. :)