PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-DS72 - Any thoughts?

MTDave
06-14-2012, 06:20 PM
I recently applied for a Newegg card for the heck of it, but got approved for a few K. I had considered building a desktop, but I'm looking at the DS72. So, while I've done my research on the G75 as a whole, and its known issues, what do y'all think?

I've also read Newegg's return policy, but has anyone had any experience in using it with them?

Any other input you could think if would be much appreciated as well!
Thanks Y'all!

dstrakele
06-14-2012, 06:41 PM
What are the terms of Newegg's exchange/return policy?

MTDave
06-15-2012, 01:02 AM
From what I could tell (before i had any coffee) it seemed like a normal 30-day unless I bought a plan through them.

Rookie999
06-15-2012, 02:39 AM
I just recently purchased the G75VW-DS72 and have had it for a week. So far it's performed really well and i'm happy with my purchase. The only issue i had so far was that my blue-ray player would not work at first. Seemed that Asus loaded the software on my laptop, but elected not to install the program, fairly easy fix. Otherwise the beast is cool and almost silent while playing games.

MTDave
06-15-2012, 03:31 AM
I just recently purchased the G75VW-DS72 and have had it for a week. So far it's performed really well and i'm happy with my purchase. The only issue i had so far was that my blue-ray player would not work at first. Seemed that Asus loaded the software on my laptop, but elected not to install the program, fairly easy fix. Otherwise the beast is cool and almost silent while playing games.

Thank you very much for your input! I'm 90% ready to buy it now.

Brian_ROG
06-15-2012, 03:38 AM
I buy a lot through Newegg (even my G75) and they are very easy to work with. Fast delivery and good exchange policy (usually 30 days) no problems. I highly recommend them.

MTDave
06-17-2012, 07:57 AM
My apologies for the delayed reply. Work, sleep, repeat, repeat....

Brian_ROG, thanks for the affirmation there. Indeed I remember seeing your review for the G75! So i pulled the trigger and purchased it from newegg. Ill build the desktop sometime next year. Whenever the next truly BIG TICKET item comes out next year, ill grab that. Thanks for the advice and input everyone!

Now I'm going to take myself to school here and try to learn how to over clock this thing a bit! >:D

john_from_ohio
06-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Now I'm going to take myself to school here and try to learn how to over clock this thing a bit! >:D

Why do so many people want to do this on a machine that is already so fast??? Not understanding ...

MTDave
06-17-2012, 06:24 PM
john_from_ohio - just for grins and giggles. I'm 95% sure I'll be happy with it assistance. But it never hurts to know how.

Plus I'd like to learn the ins and outs of over clocking, and water cooling for next year when I go to a tower build. I kind of have a hard time not learning new things, I get bored too easily...

MTDave
06-23-2012, 11:06 AM
UPDATE

Hey everyone, Just wanted to give a quick update on progress!

Received my G75VW-NS72 from newegg on Thursday, Unboxed it about 8 hours ago (now 4am), and put it through a few paces. I am very pleased to report, that I seem to have gotten a really good laptop after all of that worrying! Just trying to show everyone, especially the prospective buyers that may be reading, that not all of the laptops have issues!

The packaging survived with no damage indications whatsoever. The laptop itself was spotless (few smudges now, from me after pizza). Everything functions correctly, I.E. no latency spikes, no excesive heat issues, no grainy screen, no dead pixles, notta.

There MAY be ONE single issue. It's been brought up that the audio issue is actually a 2.1 setup where the subwoofer is treated as a center channel. That makes sense to me. But I cannot definitively tell if I have the issue as well - The subwoofer DOES seem to be putting out all frequencies, and the remaining two speakers are significantly quieter, HOWEVER, the audio is crystal clear and sounds great anyway. Although a bit quieter that I'd like. Either way, I'll try out the next set of drivers.

Thanks to research on my own, and the research done by others, I was well prepared to test this beast! Uninstalled the live update utility, made my 4 DVD's for the factory recovery, and proceeded with Furmark, and 3DMark 11. My GPU never passed 75 Celcius, which seems to be perfectly acceptable!

First, My 3DMark 11

Next, Furmark

From the posted results I've seen from other G75 systems, my 3DMark11 scores seem just a tad low - But the Furmark results were very encouraging compared to others. Both tests were run Plugged in, on High Performance, Nothing in the backround. Oh well. How do I check driver versions to see if an update is needed?

Alas, its 4:12AM now. Must... Sleep.... Tomorrow it's a Crysis and Starcraft II Test day. Was thinking about SW:TOR, and Yays or Nays?

john_from_ohio
06-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Alas, its 4:12AM now. Must... Sleep.... Tomorrow it's a Crysis and Starcraft II Test day. Was thinking about SW:TOR, and Yays or Nays?

Ha ha ... made me laugh ... congratulations!

Brian_ROG
06-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Congrats! I played SWTOR for about 3 months, really good story lines with your toon. It kinda died out for me though as I got pretty bored after leveling up. I don't know the state of the game now as I havent played in awhile.

Have fun playing with your new toy!

MTDave
06-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks Much, fellas!

john_from_ohio - Glad I can provide a laugh over the web as reliably as always!

Brian_ROG - I see you have the same laptop, have you enjoyed it immensely so far?

Oh, and thanks for the input on SWTOR! ill probably give it a shot. First is Starcraft II though, My old heap took 30 minutes to load one mission, and max low was maybe 15FPS. Crysis was maybe 40-50 FPS with everything low, but I never finished. Crysis 2 will definitely follow.

So the temps i am satisfied with, and the longevity will be there, but are the scores seeming alright to y'all?