PDA

View Full Version : BR/DVDRW Combo Drive won't burn DVD+R Windows 7 64 bit

Hojo
02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
I am new to this forum. I purchased an ASUS G73JW-A1 machine from Amazon for my wife. In researching this purchase I used this Forum often to learn about issues concerning this computer. My wife has been quite happy with the machine thus far, except for one problem. The Blu-Ray reader/ DVD writer combo drive will not burn DVDs. The drive reads Blu-Ray, CD and DVD disks. It burns successfully to CD R disks. According to Nero Info Tools, the drive does recognize three different brands of DVD+R blank disks, Memorex, TDK and Verbatim, but doesn't burn to them.

When we first powered up the machine, we attempted to use the AI Recovery Burner app to make system recovery disks. Several tries failed with exception error messages. Several messages in this forum commented that this particular app is flaky and isnít reliable. So, we purchased Nero 10 Multimedia Suite Platinum believing that this app would solve our problem. It didnít. All DVD burns in Nero fail and come up with two error messages: Partition Calibration Error and Illegal Disc.

The BR reader/DVD burner combo drive is a Slimtype BD E DS4E1S. Its firmware version is EA2B, dated 11/13/09. The Slimtype drive may be made by Lite-On and the firmware is the newest version that Iíve found on the web.

Has anybody come across such a problem? Are we missing something stupidly obvious? We really like the computer and would hate having to F9 it back to its default condition and send it back to the seller.

Thank you for any input you can kindly provide.

MarkS
02-25-2011, 08:39 PM
I would guess you just need the drive replaced. It's pretty common on cheap mass-produced optical drives, and I've seen many posts on that model failing, while the other BD-ROM model (CT21N) used stock by Asus I've seen very few failure reports.

If it was Dell they just send you a replacement no questions asked, but Asus requires RMA which is a pain.

Might be better to just buy your own - a better one like an LG CT21N or maybe a Sony. It's easy to replace.