PDA

View Full Version : Partition Help

Djropi
06-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

Need a little help with my disk partition(s). After a few days I have been trying to allocate any downloads/ installations to either my Data (D) drive, SDATA 1 (F), or SDATA 2 (G) drive to conserve the limited space (70GB) on the C drive. Unfortunately most programs by default look to install to the C drive, and I am running out of space rather quickly.

Is there a way to either combine the (C) and (D) drive, or force every program by default to install to another drive? Even when I select the installation path there always seems to be small files that make there way to (C).

Thank You

electric0ant
06-18-2012, 04:01 AM
Hi Everyone,

Need a little help with my disk partition(s). After a few days I have been trying to allocate any downloads/ installations to either my Data (D) drive, SDATA 1 (F), or SDATA 2 (G) drive to conserve the limited space (70GB) on the C drive. Unfortunately most programs by default look to install to the C drive, and I am running out of space rather quickly.

Is there a way to either combine the (C) and (D) drive, or force every program by default to install to another drive? Even when I select the installation path there always seems to be small files that make there way to (C).

Thank You

a piece of advice, make the recovery discs using the asus utility first. it looks like the new system uses GPT now, so if you try changing the partitions you can mess things up to the point that you can't boot windows or get into the recovery parition.

when you install programs just make sure you select advanced options and you can select to install into the D drive.

Djropi
06-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Hi Electric,

The recovery discs have been made, and I would like to avoid messing the partitions unless absolutely necessary.

I have been manually installing programs to the other drives when the option is available, but for some reason small elements of programs like maya or 3ds max seem to be dropping folders by default into the (C) program files (x86). There is only 8GB of space left on the (C) drive so I am trying to re-locate anything to the other drives, but I ended up having to re-install max because some dll files were missing.

The best option would be to set the base default of each installations destination path to a drive of my choosing if possible? Otherwise is there a list of bloatware which is safe to remove?

*edit. Just typing this message I lost 10kb in the (C) drive without downloading or installing anything. Is this typical of SSD?

Cecil_2099
06-18-2012, 05:29 AM
I'd like to add RE the recovery discs that you make sure you make them using version 1.0.24 of AI Recovery. Systems ship with 1.0.23, which have issues recovering to larger sized drives (1 TB).

You should be able to expand the partition size of C drive but that requires the D drive partition to be emptied and deleted. You can delete the partition from Windows Disk Management and extend the C drive partition as well.