PDA

View Full Version : Panic from graphics malfunction, pink squares

mrhobbeys
06-19-2012, 01:24 AM
The first time this happened I thought it was because I was playing Doom 3 on max settings, I took a photo with my iphone and did not worry about it.

I just did a restart of my laptop and this happened again after startup/login, I had just emptied the recycle bin and was about to open up some programs.... I will not be able to post the screen shot till later. But it was basically an offset checkerboard of pink squares over the normal screen image this time it was only for about 2 seconds the first time I had to do a hard restart...

This is the BestBuy model with the 660m, 8GB ram, and 1TB drive.

I already checked and I have all of the latest updates for all of the drivers.

I would like to figure out if I need to exchange this before the standard 30 days is over, however I did buy the extended warranty.

mrhobbeys
06-19-2012, 02:11 AM
I ran FurMark, and my temp got to 60 degree Celsius and the same thing happened had to do a hard restart...

kiba
06-19-2012, 02:17 AM
thats called PSOD err psychedellic screen of death, if yours is a new laptop i would get it replaced, these things do happen, when you get starved children who are suffering from dysentary to build laptops in sweatshops in china.... cant really blame the kids.

dstrakele
06-19-2012, 03:42 AM
If you feel like troubleshooting further, hit F9 at the ASUS splash screen and perform a Factory Recovery. See if you can reproduce the issue installing as little as possible. I'd probably go for stressing the GPU with Furmark. It doesn't appear you've got a thermal issue. The Factory Restore would be to correct a corrupt video driver. What version are you currently running?

But don't jeopardize your option to exchange your laptop for a new unit or receiving a complete refund. Don't let anyone talk you into an RMA for warranty repair. Then the laptop's problems will become YOUR problems, and you'll have to wait without a laptop while ASUS attempts to repair it. Let ASUS and the retailer work it out...

mrhobbeys
06-19-2012, 03:56 AM
Thank you much for the information that is exactly what I needed to know.