PDA

View Full Version : Losing Space On OS (C): Drive

Djropi
06-19-2012, 03:17 AM
Hello Everyone,

New issue of the day hopefully someone can answer. I have been monitoring the OS (C): drive fairly closely yesterday and today and have noticed that ever so slowly I am losing space on the drive with no additional installations taking place. Just from booting up the computer and browsing the internet the listed space went from 6.40 to 6.38. Small difference, but over time this can definitely add up.

My question is if there is any bloatware which may be doing small installs without any notification? I am working on the Asus G75VW-DS72 and the (C) drive is a solid state.

Thank You!

dstrakele
06-19-2012, 03:58 AM
1) Temporary Internet Files will build up to the configured amount. You can relocate them to another drive by configuring your browser. You may want these on your SSD to improve Browsing performance, however.

2) Windows Updates will also take up space on the C:.

3) Windows temp files will also use space. These can be easily removed by Windows in Properties of the drive by clicking on the "Disk Cleanup" button in the "General" tab.

4) You can also use Windows Explorer to move your Libraries (Documents, Photos, Video, and Music) to another drive.

Djropi
06-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Hi dstrakele,

Thank you for the reply. One issue I had before when I moved a web browser like google chrome was that the entire application did not open once I relocated it to another drive. I had to do a bit of troubleshooting to re-install the program, and when I did it automatically installed to the (c) drive.

It sounds like relocating the documents, photos and such will free up the most space, but is this a simple cut and paste operation? I just want to make sure I do not do any irreversible damage.

dstrakele
06-19-2012, 04:23 AM
Moving the Libraries is a cut & paste (or drag and drop) operation.

I was not suggesting you move the browser application, only moving the location of the Browser's Temporary Internet Files or cache folder. http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/8RByThrPsDc discusses how to relocate the Google Chrome cache folder. As I mentioned previously, I'd choose to keep these on the SSD if I had the space.

Cecil_2099
06-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Windows also periodically makes system restore points so you can "roll back" to an earlier state if you ever had a bad installation of something. Those take up some HDD space as well but will max out at a certain size depending on your setting.

john_from_ohio
06-19-2012, 11:58 AM
My question is if there is any bloatware which may be doing small installs without any notification? I am working on the Asus G75VW-DS72 and the (C) drive is a solid state.

The DS72 has a 256 gb SSD right?

Perhaps the problem is how it is partitioned? Does this machine come with the SSD partition into C and D?

If that is the case probably the smartest thing to do ( after getting backups of course ) is to copy off to an external drive all the contents of the D partition ... remove the D partition ... expand the size of the C partition ... and copy back into C anything that was on D.

There are tools like MiniTool Partition Wizard that you can use to both install on your laptop and also make a bootable CD to do stuff like this. Changing partitions is always potentially dangerous so proceed with caution and make sure you have backups in place!

Myk SilentShadow
06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
If you are going from 6.4 to 6.38GB available from an SSD, I would suggest first that you uninstall all your software(not Windows) and reinstall it onto the secondary drive that is in your Laptop.....and I have a sneaking suspicion the cause for that slight decrease in available HDD space is either a) Windows Hibernation or b) Windows Pagefile.

Also another thing to note you should never let your SSD be filled with more than up to 80% of it's capacity, otherwise you will decrease it's life and will end up needing to replace it much sooner than needed.

john_from_ohio
06-19-2012, 02:40 PM
If you are going from 6.4 to 6.38GB available from an SSD, I would suggest first that you uninstall all your software(not Windows) and reinstall it onto the secondary drive that is in your Laptop.

The SSD in question has 256 gb but is partitioned "incorrectly" ( at least my opinion ). That is the likely the major problem.

Still good point if one does a google search on "running windows on an ssd" you will find some pretty good information and tips on how to get rid of a paging file ( or minimize size ) etc.