PDA

View Full Version : Static electricity/vibration with G55?

Doozie
06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Anyone getting some sort of static vibration when touching the metal parts around the keyboard? It only happens when the charger is not plugged in. I tried using both 2 and 3 pin plugs, same results.

Is this supposed to be normal or should I be worried?

kiba
06-20-2012, 09:46 PM
where did you get a 2 pin plug?

Doozie
06-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Its from my previous PC i was using.

dstrakele
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
It sounds like the laptop may have a grounding issue. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10589-Very-very-odd-problem-with-my-G74SX. Since you report this happens only when UNPLUGGED, you can't blame the power adapter or power outlet for poor grounding. I would be tempted to exchange it for a new unit.

Doozie
06-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Will it hurt the lifespan of the laptop? If it does... then I'll try and get a replacement.

dstrakele
06-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Poor grounding can cause many different computer issues. It appears to play a critical role in the "erratic touchpad cursor" issue reported for G73 and G74 systems. I suspect it also plays a role in those "boot to black screen" issues that are temporarily fixed by discharging the laptop by holding down the PowerOn button for 30 seconds while unplugged with no battery prior to startup.

What I'm unsure of is if the vibration issue you report is due to poor grounding. Maybe some other more knowledgeable forum members could offer THEIR opinion here. @fostert reported a similar issue when he first got his G74SX, but it disappeared soon after. As far as I know, he's had no other issues. To me, your issue appears to be related to power supply because it stops when you plug in.

Have you tried reseating the battery to see if it changes behavior?

Does the battery fit snugly in its bay?

The vibration you report is not normal. For me, that is enough reason to seek an exchange for a new laptop. It may be nothing, or it could end up resulting in multiple RMA"s that never seem to fix the problem. I just wouldn't chance it if the option to exchange it was available...

What would the rest of you do if you were in this situation?