PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from HDD to SSD, need help

lbroni215
03-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I am using a G73JH, and i decided that i wanted to upgrade the hard drive from the 640GB 5400rpm to a SSD. have had the laptop for a few months now, but i haven't added that much to it in terms of file size. I currently am at 72GB used on the 640GB drive. There is obviously a lot of stuff on this drive that i dont need/want on the new SSD. I basically want windows, and a couple other programs and games on the SSD.

The SSD i chose was an 80GB OCZ Vertex 2. It was the best price/perf/size combo that i could manage. The drive didn't come with any software at all. I saw a couple places that people used Acronis True image, but i would really rather not shell out 50 bucks to use a program once.

The notebook didn't come with any discs at all, but i did make my recovery discs that it said to when i first got it.

I really don't know what is going to be the easiest thing for me to do to make this happen. So any ideas/help is much appreciated. In depth instruction would be even more helpful :)

xeromist
03-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I would just do a clean install from a Digital River image and then buy an exterior enclosure for your old hard drive. That will allow you to minimize the install size and just retrieve what you want from the old drive. Bear in mind though that you won't be able to use the built in restore unless you image the drive with the hidden partition. Here are the instructions for the clean install:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html#post5437866

lbroni215
03-03-2011, 05:44 AM
I couldn't just leave the drive in the comp as a storage drive? It does have two bays. Would it cause problems if both drives were bootable? I would like to have the extra storage space in the laptop if possible.

I do like the idea of a clean install, and that is probably what I will end up doing, but if someone could suggest a free imaging software that'd be great. I just want to test it out and see if I could make it work that way.

Thanks again in advance

xeromist
03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Ah, yeah I forgot about the dual bays; sure, keep it in there. I've used Clonezilla but if that doesn't work for you there are a few others on this list:
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100220020013726/DiskCloning.html%5C

jjacks1961
03-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I would like to suggest you read this. Some good info here on installing an SSD. http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=7691

FoldenCaulfield
03-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Used to use Norton GHOST but went to Clonezilla and haven't used anything to clone disks since.. Some knowledge needed but pretty self explanatory if your comfortable with this kind of stuff. I also would suggest leaving it in there, as long as you have a mounting bracket.. Mine has one HDD and only came with one bracket so I'm on the list waiting for them to be in-stock so I can also jump to SSD!