PDA

View Full Version : G53SX GPU Overheating Problem

zrendy
06-20-2012, 02:31 AM
I have an Asus G53sx and my cpu temps are at normal levels (around 40c), but my gpu temp is at 60c. Those are the temps when my laptop is idle... If i play mw3 for around 30min.... my gpu temps get up to 90c and then my fps drops... I dont know what to do..... clean the vents (afraid to take it apart)? Does anyone have a solution maybe to keep the fans running at 100%, or something to cool this?

aMgDrew
06-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Even if the fans run on 100% it won't lower the temps if there's not enough airflow.
You fan does run at 100% by the time it reaches 90C temps, doesn't it? So why shouldn't it reach 90C even if the fan runs at 100% at all times?

I think your only solution would be cleaning the vents.

You can contact Asus, they will give you some advice without voiding your warranty.

backdrift
06-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Cleaning the vents would be a good first step. Another thing you can check;

Download EVGA Precision (or another GPU OCing tool) and check the fan speed. Maybe up that a bit if possible (Or you can use Speedfan).
Check the Power Mode in Nvidia Control Panel to see if it's set to Adaptive or Performance. If it's set at performance, that will definitely make your GPU temps gump about 10-15 degrees, since that allows your GPU to not adapt to different power levels at varying loads.
Also, check the PCI Express Power Management Mode in the Power Options. Obviously those are suggestions assuming the fan is working and that it's clean and not blocked up.

Last but not least, new thermal grease can work wonders.

eskion
07-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I just downloaded the EVGA Precision tool, but the fan controls cannot be changed. I would like to try to increase my fan speed a little because this laptop gets a little to hot for my comfort. Is there any known way to do this?