PDA

View Full Version : what is (programs)? I just recieved this G75 and I havea few questions.

Nameless
06-21-2012, 03:13 AM
Ok I have searched high and low for these programs to find out what they are but I have found nothing.

AsusScr_g75 Series_ENG - what is this, what does it do?

Atheros Bluetooth suite - can I uninstall this and still use bluetooth? I realize this suite has a lot of extra to it that ill never use. So if I can remove it and saftely still use blue tooth devices I would like too.

InstantOn for NB - what is this, what does it do?

ATK Package - what is this, what does it do?

Thats about it. First thing I like to do with a new pc is uninstall unnecessary items. I have hit google and yahoo hard but these are items I could not find anything about. Anyway next project is to cut down on services and then msconfig a few, reg teaks, tweak the aero theme for better performance you know the usual stuff.

Lol I love how the more ram you get the more that gets used up. Anyway thanks in advance!

Myk SilentShadow
06-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Ok I have searched high and low for these programs to find out what they are but I have found nothing.

AsusScr_g75 Series_ENG - what is this, what does it do? Looks like a screen saver file

Atheros Bluetooth suite - can I uninstall this and still use bluetooth? I realize this suite has a lot of extra to it that ill never use. So if I can remove it and saftely still use blue tooth devices I would like too. You can probably disable the things you won't need to use

InstantOn for NB - what is this, what does it do? No clue, sorry lol

ATK Package - what is this, what does it do? Not entirely sure, but from the posts I have seen. It has something to do with the keyboard...don't quote me on it as im not 100% sure

Thats about it. First thing I like to do with a new pc is uninstall unnecessary items. I have hit google and yahoo hard but these are items I could not find anything about. Anyway next project is to cut down on services and then msconfig a few, reg teaks, tweak the aero theme for better performance you know the usual stuff.

Lol I love how the more ram you get the more that gets used up. Anyway thanks in advance!

Answers in red

Nameless
06-21-2012, 05:21 AM
ATK package, I actually found this one. It has to do with several things. Basiclally, fn keys and stuff but more.

atheros bluetooth suite, uninstalled it and it reverted back to the windows Bluetooth drivers. Yeah!!! Got rid of some junk ill never use there lol.

The asusscr_g75 series_ENG, still no clue however after digging in the laptop, the icon for that resembles that of the ones in the screen saver folder in windows32 folder. So if this is in fact something for the screen saver can i uninstall it and still use a screen saver? I am guessing that windows will use its OE screen saver program if i uninstall this. Either way whatever I mean I never use screen savers.

InstantON NB - still looking to find out what this is if anyone knows? I have a feeling it has to do with faster start up or some sort of hibernation.

Thanks again.

Cant wait to start a services thread. Actually I think I should breeze through that considering I uninstalled almost all the the bloat ware.

_
06-22-2012, 05:57 AM
asusscr_g75 series_ENG - this is a G75 screensaver. You can uninstall it if you don't care for it.

Instant On is an ASUS technology that blends sleep and hibernate functions - basically you can put it to sleep for up to a month, but it will resume in just 1-2 seconds, not 30+ like normal hibernate. Again if you don't use it you can uninstall it.

xXx
06-22-2012, 09:09 AM
The day I got my G74SX , I reinstalled it to get rid of all the crap that ships with it..

Tickwomp
06-22-2012, 08:59 PM
I forgot where I found it, but out there was a great thread about the bloatware on the G74S and what you don't need. It's amazing how much BS is on these things out of the factory.

Muskoka
06-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't know, I found there was a lot less bloatware than any other computer I've purchased in the past.

I did do a clean install of Windows 7 without any of the Asus installed stuff and then just added some of their drivers/utilities as I saw fit.

I wouldn't consider a lot of those drivers to be bloatware though.

Usually when people say bloatware they are referring to actual applications, like trial programs, etc...The only one I noticed before I did the clean install was for some McAfee product.

Ars Technica had a good article on doing a clean install, and it includes where you can download a clean copy of the Windows install disks (legally), since they don't ship new computers with those disks anymore

Also, remember, bloatware makes hardware more affordable for us. So remove it if you don't like it, but remember the advertising partially paid for your computer.

http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/06/blowing-away-bloatware-a-guide-to-reinstalling-windows-on-a-new-pc/