PDA

View Full Version : Had a bad BIOS flash? Read this!

_
06-21-2012, 04:04 AM
After a meeting with the engineers I've been told there's a failsafe built into G75/G55s:

Power on and hold down ”ctrl+home” immediately. The system will attempt to call back the original BIOS. If the BIOS flash has gone very badly and this does not work however, it will require a call to our customer service department.

Please try to update using EZFlash within the BIOS when the power is plugged in (not on battery) using a reliable (not cheap/free) FAT32 USB stick.

Thank you all.

Myk SilentShadow
06-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Out of pure curiousity...is this feature also in the CHVF?

Arvinaaaaa
06-21-2012, 05:07 AM
After a meeting with the engineers I've been told there's a failsafe built into G75/G55s:

Power on and hold down ”ctrl+home” immediately. The system will attempt to call back the original BIOS. If the BIOS flash has gone very badly and this does not work however, it will require a call to our customer service department.

Please try to update using EZFlash within the BIOS when the power is plugged in (not on battery) using a reliable (not cheap/free) FAT32 USB stick.

Thank you all.
thanks for advice :)

electric0ant
06-21-2012, 07:35 AM
would be good to know if this helps the users with this issue. will def keep this in mind just in case!
actually going to print this off and stick it with the drivers disc for reference!

kiba
06-21-2012, 09:12 AM
nice!, that is good to know and its about time asus added something like this. good find.

mhemming82
06-29-2012, 11:35 PM
I brought a G55VW 10 days ago. The sound was not not very good so tried to fix it by upgrading to the latest drivers.
I went to the ASUS Australia website and then to the download drivers page. I did an automatic model detection and selected Windows 7 64bit.
I then saw that there was a new BIOS update so I decided to do the BIOS upgrade first. I followed the instructions and installed and ran the ASUS bios flash utility in windows. The flash process began and then my PC turned off. Now it does not boot or do anything.
I tried holding Ctrl+Home but this did not help.

This is so Crap. I bet that i have to send my new laptop back to ASUS to be fixed / replaced and it will take about a month befor i get it back.
I am now going to call the local shop where I brought it from, as they have just opened. I will let you know how I go.

Regards,
Michael.

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 12:07 AM
I brought a G55VW 10 days ago. The sound was not not very good so tried to fix it by upgrading to the latest drivers.
I went to the ASUS Australia website and then to the download drivers page. I did an automatic model detection and selected Windows 7 64bit.
I then saw that there was a new BIOS update so I decided to do the BIOS upgrade first. I followed the instructions and installed and ran the ASUS bios flash utility in windows.

Did you try Marshalls suggestion on the top of this thread? May not work but worth trying ...

Unfortunately sounds like with asus's help you just bricked your machine by doing a BIOS update in windows. Never a good idea and some asus people are trying to get asus not to provide a windows based bios update mechanism.

If you do get it working from Marshalls suggestion or from returning/exchanging it with the place you bought it from ... follow my 1st steps thread and get familiar with the forum here.

Good luck!

mhemming82
06-30-2012, 01:22 AM
I tried the Ctrl+home thing but it did not work.
I called the place where I brought it from, Computer and parts land (www.cpl.net.au). and explained the problem. They said to bring it to them.
I drove down there and explained the problem and they said that they could not help me and that I needed to contact Asus. They gave me a number to call which I then received a recorded message saying to call back Monday, during business hours.

Michael.

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 01:56 AM
I called the place where I brought it from, Computer and parts land (www.cpl.net.au). and explained the problem. They said to bring it to them. I drove down there and explained the problem and they said that they could not help me and that I needed to contact Asus.

Well that's rough ... no documented return/exchange policy?

Does Australia have any rules/regulations for return/exchanges of expensive things to retailers?

As far as I know you should be able to call into Asus global support possibly and start the process without waiting till monday but sorry no direct experience.

rewben
06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
i have read so much about these bad experiences on bios upgrades in the forum. i went ahead and tried to flash my g55 bios from 206 to the latest (which is 209 as of writing) on windows. i am now running on the 209 bios. everything was fine during the process. it didn't shut down by itself.

when i did the bios upgrading, i did turn off all applications that were running, including those that were in the notification area (that is, all ASUS-related apps). i didn't have anitivirus running at that time.

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 12:25 PM
i have read so much about these bad experiences on bios upgrades in the forum. i went ahead and tried to flash my g55 bios from 206 to the latest (which is 209 as of writing) on windows.

Never a good idea to do it like that ... do any future BIOS upgrades using the BIOS flash utility ... not running windows ... prepare a flash drive with the BIOS update first ... hit F2 on restart and go into BIOS for the upgrade.

rewben
07-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Never a good idea to do it like that ... do any future BIOS upgrades using the BIOS flash utility ... not running windows ... prepare a flash drive with the BIOS update first ... hit F2 on restart and go into BIOS for the upgrade.

yes john, i guess you're right, considering all the negative feedbacks reported here.

tomastan4134
09-25-2015, 02:53 AM

Thank you all.

Hi MarshallR.

i saw your post about Bricked bios on G55vw.

I was just wondering the failsafe methods do really works?

i didnt upgrade my bios

i when into bois to change some settings. (forgot what i changed)

after hit save and exit at bios.

it went black screen after reboot.

i keep tapping esc nothing happened

what do you suggest to do ?

my g55vw is out of warranty.

could service centre just repair the bios chip or need to replace entire mobo?