PDA

View Full Version : G75VW 3 problems.. to all others with G75VW also.

vietkrazeeboi
06-21-2012, 10:34 AM
I have a G75VW with a 660m GFX. To all others who have a G75VW, is anyone else having these problems??

First problem. Mouse randomly freezes even when nothing is running in the background. One time freezes with just microsoft word open for my studying time. It freezes for 3 seconds and happens a few times with 2 seconds in between. After a few freezes, laptop screen goes black. CTRL ALT DLT does not work and the laptop is forced to power off.

Second problem. Diablo 3 but can only be played on Low settings on 30fps? Self explanatory. Nvidia released a new driver for the gtx 660m on the 18th on this month, but I cant even install it. "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." Is ASUS blocking Nvidia drivers from installing and only accepting ASUS drivers?!

Third problem. The sound on D3 is sometimes unbalanced. Certain effects are GREATLY amplified, and I am having to restart the laptop to fix this error.

Whoever owns a G75VW please respond with your inputs.

trieuan10
06-21-2012, 11:36 AM
I always use mouse instead of touch pad so I will notice your problem later. I'm owning G75vw with gtx 660m, too.
I'm just sad about the sound quality of this lap, too small and too bad. It's even worst than the G73 of my friend.
Also, I don't know why I get lag while I'm playing games without battery? d
Does anybody get the same issues?

Muskoka
06-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Some people have had problems with low FPS during games because a McAfee Anti-Virus scan starts during the game, I would either uninstall it or change the settings to run the scan another time.

I would also check which "mode" you're in (i.e. "quiet office" vs "performance"). Even when you are not on battery power, the power settings can be trying to conserve power.

Diablo 3 has very low hardware requirements, you should be able to run it on max settings without any problems.

djdouglas
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
What version of Windows are you using? I posted a thread on the freezing issues along with some other problems I am having while running Windows 8 Pre Release.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17604-G75VW-Freezing-and-Drivers-not-compatible&country=&status=

I couldnt even get Windows 7 home premium to install on my G75 however I had another member give me a link to the ISO for the version with SP1. I am going to try that this weekend. The purpose of my thread was to try to get others with the issue to chime in. My main interest is to see if those with this issue are running Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Brian_ROG
06-21-2012, 03:06 PM
I always use mouse instead of touch pad so I will notice your problem later. I'm owning G75vw with gtx 660m, too.
I'm just sad about the sound quality of this lap, too small and too bad. It's even worst than the G73 of my friend.
Also, I don't know why I get lag while I'm playing games without battery? d
Does anybody get the same issues?

Not sure about the problem with the touchpad as mine works fine. You should always be plugged in while gaming, cant run power intensive games on battery alone, even Diablo 3, should be plugged in. Some anti-virus software seems to interfere with some games, namely McAfee, there are many forum threads on the issue already.

They are working on the sound issue!

trieuan10
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Not sure about the problem with the touchpad as mine works fine. You should always be plugged in while gaming, cant run power intensive games on battery alone, even Diablo 3, should be plugged in. Some anti-virus software seems to interfere with some games, namely McAfee, there are many forum threads on the issue already.

They are working on the sound issue!

Yeah, hope they'll fix it as soon as possible.

_
06-22-2012, 02:17 AM
Low FPS: Is it plugged in and in high power mode?

Have you removed the old sound drivers and updated to the latest ones on the site? The subwoofer not producing low freq. noise is a known issue being worked on now.

Cecil_2099
06-22-2012, 04:45 AM
I haven't experienced the mouse issue. I don't have Diablo 3 so I cannot comment on the other two, but I do play SWTOR and don't have FPS issues when playing on all high graphics settings at 1920x1080p when plugged in. If I'm running on battery then yes, I have FPS issues.

sounoriginal
07-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I got my g75 from bestbuy. I have found a few issues with it.
First off the specs.
nvidia 660m 2GB
8GB RAM 1,600
1TB 5400RPM
intel i7 3rd gen.

The issues I have been looking at mostly is the inability to play D3, If I stand still it runs perfectly. Once I start moving and cast a spell I get spikes like crazy. I did some research on it and its an easy fix just not a cheap one. It's the harddrive thats giving me the issues, not the graphics. The harddrive isn't reading the data fast enough for D3 to have continous game play. Which could explain a few of the issues others are having since there is normally a lot of background programs running for some people.

Douglasartor
12-04-2012, 12:24 AM
My g75 has this graphics spikes issues. I sent to asus support, they changed the hd and guess what? Nothing changed. I'd like to know if anyone have fixed this with hd changing. This seems like no clue to me. I am sending back to asus support today.

Dreamonic
12-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Most of the problems I've been reading happen to be from the pre-installed Win8. If you got a Win7 disc kicking around, do a clean install of it and update to all the latest drivers.

All if not most problems can be resolved from using stable releases to stable drivers on a fresh OS. Win8 needs more time to pan the bugs out still IMHO, that or wait until more fixes come out.

HulkSmash
12-04-2012, 03:15 AM
"NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.", are you sure your video card is not the issue? Maybe reinstaling the drivers through a clean install, after uinstaling the current ones and rebooting? Or maybe your video card is just gone...idk

Dreamonic
12-04-2012, 03:21 AM
It's possible you downloaded the wrong driver package, perhaps desktop version by accident.

Definitely a clean install of the 306.97 or BETA 310.64 drivers to start.
Also update your sound driver to v6.0.1.10600 from ASUS

Is ASUS blocking Nvidia drivers from installing and only accepting ASUS drivers?!

No

AndyMac82
07-08-2013, 12:47 AM
I also bought the g75vw on holiday thinking it would last me for a while as a gaming laptop. NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

The track pad is of no use to me at all and windows 8 seems to think I'm doing some kind of wierd Harry Potter like gestures constantly. The system likes to shut down whenever someone in the world says "I told you so" or if microsoft happens to send me one of their 20 daily updates. The UEFI idea is almost stupid as the metro menu, and has caused some rage.

Windows 8 can **** my ****.

I've installed Win 7 on it three times tonight. I've now realised if you change the res to full HD, the windows logo when you reboot seems to **** the whole thing up. The eSupport folder that I coppied to my external drive cant be accessed as no win7 drivers can load usb HDDs or much else out the box. I'll have to install them from a cd/dvd.

The only thing that did work out the box was the sound. Too bad the speakers sound like ****.

Hope the proper drivers fix the boot problem. Then I may be able to use windows like a normal human being, without having to wonder why the settings menu appears whenever it's hungry, or why 800x600 is the new black! Kind of defeats the purpose of a lovely HD screen when all you can play is Doom 2.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with my 1500 buck paper weight, tho I think a Raspberry Pi running a port of Windows ME would have been a more sensible purchase.

ASUS ftw :)

drumad
08-17-2013, 12:42 AM
I apologize for necro-ing this topic, but I'm currently experiencing a problem with my ASUS G75vw about it's power usage when I launch some games.

Here are my specs:
Intel Core i7
Windows 7
GeForce GTX 670M 3GB
16 Gb RAM

Problem:
I've notice that power management goes into a frenzy by switching from power to battery then back to power over and over again - This happens when I play a game and when a lot of effects and sprites are rendered at once. When everything calms down, it maintains its power connection. Just recently, however, even as I've just launched a game, it consistently does this power switching.

Details:
Games I Play
- Dota 2
- Tomb Raider
(These are my games so far)
Now I play these game on their lowest settings just so that my computer would experience the problem less.

Questions:
Is this a hardware issue?
Is this a software issue?
Will reformatting fix this problem?
Has anyone experienced this?

Personal input:
It's annoying. Being that this is my first ever gaming laptop, and that I love ASUS very much, I really wish this problem would be addressed. I don't know if I've truly expressed the problem about my laptop in this message, but I was wondering if anyone actually has this same problem and would really appreciate it if I could receive some help and advice on this.

Thanks! :)

hellowold
08-18-2013, 01:31 PM
I apologize for necro-ing this topic, but I'm currently experiencing a problem with my ASUS G75vw about it's power usage when I launch some games.

Here are my specs:
Intel Core i7
Windows 7
GeForce GTX 670M 3GB
16 Gb RAM

Problem:
I've notice that power management goes into a frenzy by switching from power to battery then back to power over and over again - This happens when I play a game and when a lot of effects and sprites are rendered at once. When everything calms down, it maintains its power connection. Just recently, however, even as I've just launched a game, it consistently does this power switching.

I got the same system/setup without any problems so far BUT i did a clean setup the first day to get rid of all crappy overhead so maybe it's worth giving a try to do so (or to uninstall any asus energy management settings and to reset back to full performance on power and balanced on akku)

drumad
08-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the reply! I'll try that one out soon. :)

OSUbuckeye
08-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Problem:

Details:
Games I Play
- Dota 2
- Tomb Raider
(These are my games so far)
Now I play these game on their lowest settings just so that my computer would experience the problem less.

Questions:
Is this a hardware issue?
Is this a software issue?

Thanks! :)

I can play Dota 2 (and do often) with my G73-RBBX-05 with a .5GB ATI mobility 5870 on medium settings whether I am on battery power or plugged in. I love the freedom to get up and go or move to a different area in the middle of a game. No spikes or any of these "issues".

Tomorrow I'll be expecting my new G75VX... and this thread is depressing the **** out of me...

But I wanted to weigh in on this and say it is my hope that your hardware not an issue, since it is about 4+ times better on paper than anything on my machine. Hopefully your software just needs teaking.

edit: Win 7 home premium OEM and Dota 2 are both in an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD.

drumad
08-20-2013, 06:11 AM
I can play Dota 2 (and do often) with my G73-RBBX-05 with a .5GB ATI mobility 5870 on medium settings whether I am on battery power or plugged in. I love the freedom to get up and go or move to a different area in the middle of a game. No spikes or any of these "issues".

Tomorrow I'll be expecting my new G75VX... and this thread is depressing the **** out of me...

But I wanted to weigh in on this and say it is my hope that your hardware not an issue, since it is about 4+ times better on paper than anything on my machine. Hopefully your software just needs teaking.

edit: Win 7 home premium OEM and Dota 2 are both in an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD.
Hey there!

I've done a clean install of my OS. I can't say the problem has been fully fixed, I was only able to find a workaround. I'm still observing this at the moment, so.. I might be wrong. I've only done the OS clean installation yesterday and I've only got to play a couple of games. These are the things I've noticed:
- Using Power4Gear, I switched to Quiet Office setting which had the Maximum Processor Usage of 70%. With this, I was able to play on full resolution with highest video settings for Dota 2. <-- The workaround!
- If I use the High Performance setting or the Entertainment setting which utilizes 100% of the processor, that's when the symptoms show.
- Clean installation helped me, coz at least now I know what's in my computer.

Again, I'm still observing this, but could there be any other suggestions on the power management? :)

the-osiris
08-22-2013, 02:22 AM
My G75VW equipped with win8, and I'm using Power4Gear Hybrid to suit my need :) whenever using for office apps, I switch to battery saving mode, and when playing games, switch to performance mode.
But it needs some fine tuning to not let processor using it's full power (or cpu temp will spike as well as 80deg celcius), this is how I do it :
- @ Power4Gear choose advanced settings
- power option window will appear, and set Processor power management : there are Minimum proc state, System cooling policy, and Maximum proc state, I put 85% @maximum proc state so when apps need proc to do the jobs, it will only using about 85% max proc resource. (cpu-z detect my proc clock @1.2Ghz while battery saving and @2Ghz at performance mode).

Now, whenever using games (like Battlefield 3, high profile, average 40fps) my cpu temp max 56'C and gpu max 67'C (room temp 27'C).

update :
- Using 99% @maximum proc state will cause my proc using max 2,4Ghz clock (3630QM default clock without turbo boost), and if using 100%, turbo boost will activate (sometimes > @3Ghz even when it's idle)
- With IntelBurn Test v2.54 max cpu temp 67'C - with FurMark 1.11.0 preset 1080p max gpu temp 66'C (temp sensor using HWiNFO64)

drumad
07-02-2015, 05:35 AM
Hello all!

Sorry for necro-ing this really REALLY old issue again. I had my laptop checked at ASUS World, and thankfully, their diagnosis was right on. My adapter was at fault. It would short circuit when full power was required by the laptop.

My solution was to buy another adapter and now it's working wonderfully well. ;)