PDA

View Full Version : New to GPU teak, couple questions

Zero.exe
06-22-2012, 02:23 AM
So i bought the 7970 DCU II From Asus. Nice card btw...

I installed GPU Tweak and its saying my GPU clock is 925 Mhz, Memory clock at 5500 Mhz. And then there's the fan speed.

So my question is, What would happen if i cranked the GPU clock and Memory clock to max?

Is there an advantage to Doing this? What is the disadvantage? What about Voltage (i understand its locked.. is it affected?)

Will it affect my performance on 3D Mark 11 if I crank these up? Will i get a better score?

Thanks guys for answers.

NiMx1233
06-22-2012, 02:54 AM
Your GPU performs better at the expense of higher voltage intake and temps, and you'll probably get a better score on 3DMark11 considering it is on a stable clock.

Zero.exe
06-22-2012, 03:11 AM
Can i harm my GPU by cranking this up? What about the memory clock, if i crank it to the max wil i harm my gpu?

el terrible
06-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Of course it can harm your card. Thats why overclocking is not covered by warranty. You do it on your own risk! You force your card to perform on a higher level than it was designed for. Overclocking over time will wear out or even risk burning your card. At least read some guides etc before "just cranking everything to max" which is the dumbest thing you can do. Google is your friend! and remember just because you read somewhere "OMG I OVERCLOCKED MY CARD TO PERFORM 10 TIMES FASTER" some people even cool down their cards with liquid nitrogen and water to get these performances and they control room temperature etc aswell, the dual fan on the asus cards are not enough to reach anything like this.

Zero.exe
06-23-2012, 01:15 AM
el Terrible, i am aware of risks of overclocking, i just wasn't specific, so let me reiterate.

Using GPU tweak, will i be able to OC my graphics card BEYOND SAFE parameters? Im aware of OC risks, seeing as how i have my CPU O.C to 3.9 Ghz and Ram OC to 1866.

I meant, if i crank everything to max in GPU Tweak, can i surpass safe parameters? And what about GPU tweaks pre loaded setting for "power saver" and "Gaming" for OC profiles, is the "Gaming" profile safe?

Ive never used prgrams like GPU tweak, ive done everything in bios. Thanks for any answers.

Zka17
07-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Just keep one eye on temps... same as in the case of the CPU... - temps will determine if your setting are correct or not...

HiVizMan
07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
With that particular card you should be able to max out the sliders and not have too much of an heat issue. The voltage adjustments are not available with the DCII cards so there is little chance of hurting your card. If the overclock is no good your system freezes or your picture goes to hell. No harm at all. If that happens simple to change the frequency down a bit until there are no more artefacts or freezes. You can run a benchmark to test your stability of the VGA I suggest Unigene as a quick and robust test.

Gawlron
01-26-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm a little late to the party, Zero.exe, how have your experiences with OC'ing using GPUTweak been? I haven't really been doing anything with mine, and I'm not running the same card(s) as you - I've got 3 GTX680s and my system is completely watercooled.