PDA

View Full Version : will asus be producing windows 8 versions of their G75 drivers?

kiba
06-21-2012, 11:42 PM
this may be a little off topic, but will asus be producing windows 8 versions of their G75 drivers?

xeromist
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah, a bit off :) so I gave this its own thread. BTW, my personal take would be that yes they will simply because the G5's will still be a premiere product once 8 is on sale. Note however that a good chunk of the drivers are written by others. ASUS mostly validates and repackages hardware drivers (though there is original software). So until the hardware component maker releases a driver, ASUS won't either.

kiba
06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
ah, thanks for the quick reply, and for giving it its own thread lol. i guess i will wait on buying windows 8 after it comes out, untill i hear more about drivers becoming available.

what about older machines, like the G74?

Zygomorphic
06-23-2012, 01:41 AM
Actually, Windows 8 uses a modified version of the Windows 7 kernel, and both of those are similar. Many drivers from Windows Vista/Windows 7 run without modification on Windows 8. I would not hesitate to upgrade--if you want what Windows 8 will provide. Whether or not it will provide you with something valuable is for you to decide. The compatibility issues are minimal, since Microsoft learned its lesson about that with Windows Vista.

Still, I hope ASUS certifies the new nVidia drivers that are already developed for Windows 8.

Theodor
06-23-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm still waiting for working Win7 drivers.. (sound)

Kny-G75
09-15-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm still waiting for working Win7 drivers.. (sound)

Almost win7 driver support win8~

Abby
09-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I've been previewing Windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. I use my desktop for everything and have no desire to have that ugly interface staring me in the face :( I'm getting ready to purchase a new laptop after 4 1/2 years and have never even used Windows 7 yet, but would rather learn how to use that than this new "modern/metro" mess. They need to save that Windows 8 for touch screens ...(then again, I'm a creature of habit and feel comfortable in the familiar) Just my two cents worth.

PCAnyWhere
09-15-2012, 04:08 PM
I've been previewing Windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. I use my desktop for everything and have no desire to have that ugly interface staring me in the face :( I'm getting ready to purchase a new laptop after 4 1/2 years and have never even used Windows 7 yet, but would rather learn how to use that than this new "modern/metro" mess. They need to save that Windows 8 for touch screens ...(then again, I'm a creature of habit and feel comfortable in the familiar) Just my two cents worth.

Have you tried turning the Metro UI off? I haven't tried Windws 8 just yet; but I understand that you can just turn it off and it will be like Win7. but your sentiments are very very common regarding the Metro UI. Great for Tablet/Laptop combo's or touch screens but maybe no so much for us with a precision pointing device.

Zygomorphic
09-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Have you tried turning the Metro UI off? I haven't tried Windws 8 just yet; but I understand that you can just turn it off and it will be like Win7. but your sentiments are very very common regarding the Metro UI. Great for Tablet/Laptop combo's or touch screens but maybe no so much for us with a precision pointing device.

It is hard to turn off...and the start menu still doesn't exist. Google "make win 8 look like win 7" and you will get some helpful links - if you are tech savvy and willing to mess around in the control panel. Alternately, switch to LINUX! :)

Abby
09-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm no overly puter savvy, so I'll probably just stick with Windows 7. I looked at Linux a little yesterday and it looks a bit complicated for me :(

Zygomorphic
09-15-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm no overly puter savvy, so I'll probably just stick with Windows 7. I looked at Linux a little yesterday and it looks a bit complicated for me :(

How so? There are several LINUX people on the forum: @rhozac, me, etc. If you have questions, ask us and we will help! :) Ubuntu is download and install!

HiVizMan
09-15-2012, 06:45 PM
The latest releases are very user friendly and such pleasure to use, stuff just works. Wish I could say the same for other OS.

Zygomorphic
09-15-2012, 07:58 PM
The latest releases are very user friendly and such pleasure to use, stuff just works. Wish I could say the same for other OS.

Whatever else I may say about Win 8, Microsoft has definitely figured out the reliability aspect of OS development. Win Vista, Win 7, and Win 8 are all rock-solid stable. Now they just need to get their GUI design act together...

Abby
09-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll surf around and read about Ubuntu, and shoot you off a message about possibly making the switch.

Zygomorphic
09-15-2012, 11:56 PM
www.ubuntu.com
What computer do you have?

Abby
09-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I have an older Asus and am wanting to purchase the G75 in the next month, so I won't switch over to the new OS until I get the new puter. I'm looking at Ubuntu right now and am seriously considering it. I guess my question is....if I choose not to have Windows put on the new computer....how will I be able to access Ubuntu to download it... Sorry if that sounds like a stupid questions, lol, but as I said, I'm just not sure how this stuff works.

Zygomorphic
09-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Go to someone else's computer and download it - or download the ISO from your current computer. Use http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ to take the ISO image and write it to a USB key. Install on new comp from USB key.

Make sure to get the 64-bit variant! Go ahead and have Windows put on the computer - Ubuntu installs alongside just fine. Create free space on the drive from Windows, then tell Ubuntu installed to install into free space. It will do the partitioning itself. You can configure that if you want, but letting it do it is fine too. Ubuntu will over-write the Windows boot-loader with GRUB, but will put in a chain-loader so that you can still boot Windows when and if you want to.

Diego_510
09-16-2012, 03:01 AM
but I wouldnt Mind trying Windows 8 to see how it is, but im not going to install it on my G75VW I have an Alienware desktop Computer that I dont use anymore I might install it there sometime but for now im gunna be busy playing Day of Defeat: Source

Bundy_Drop_Bear
09-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Windows 8 looks to much like a tablet OS than A desktop/laptop OS, with the whole desktop slider display thing and I know you can turn it off but y have it at all when 90% of PC 's that will have it aren't using touch screens.

I'll stick with Win7 and a few customization of my own, till windows 9 comes out.

madnj
09-16-2012, 10:20 PM
There's always Metro hate in every thread I see... I just don't get it... What is it? People don't want to spend the all of a couple of days to get used to doing things slightly differently?

The UI improvements outside of the Metro interface alone are worth the upgrade IMO, and the ability to very easily pin/unpin items you want to hthe Metro start panel makes it just as effective/easy to use as the traditional start menu.

Are people really that change averse that a slight interface change that does have benefits will scare everyone off and have people rushing to change it back to how it was? Like it or not, Metro isn't going away and with the improvement of Metro supporting applications there's going to be tangible benefits to the UI as a whole.

Granted, I've adopted Windows 8 from the Consumer Preview, Release Preview, and now the RTM so I've had ample time to become accustomed to how to effectively/efficiently work within the Windows interface as well as make Metro work even more efficiently than a traditional start menu, but I just don't understand how an OS that takes a couple of days tops to get used to can generate as much polarized hate as has been seen.

People who install Windows 8 knowing that Metro exists and don't even take the time to get used to using it really can't speak to the functionality of the OS, and the many improvements made to general Windows functions make for a much improved overall user experence completely seperate from Metro.

Plus, is it really that big of a deal to bring up the Metro page and type the first couple of letters of the application you want to launch? The control panel applet you are looking for? Control Panel itself?

Maybe I'm just crazy, but Windows 8 is a solid improvement upon the Windows 7 codebase and definitely as stable and solid as I'd expect. Drive support is pretty good across the board with the exception for a few ASUS provided drivers, most notably being the Atheros drivers (don't load them at all or you will bluescreen forcing you to rollback), Power4Gear Hybrid (not really necessary anyway as the Windows high performance power plan is perfectly fine), and the Bluetooth drivers (Windows has built in support). Drivers from Nvidia, Windows 7 audio drivers, and Intel drivers all work just fine.

To say that you are change adverse and cannot get used to the new interface is one thing, but to argue that the OS is a step back in any way is just not true imo. They built upon an already decent Windows 7 kernel and improved many of the user interface dialogs (task manager/file manipulation, wireless connectivity, builtin ISO mounting support, etc) that the OS as a whole is many steps forward from when Windows 7 was released.

Zygomorphic
09-17-2012, 01:06 AM
I have used it too (since the day after Dev Preview came out) and I agree that there are a lot of good technical changes...just personally I like the older interface better. Glad that you like Metro! :) Driver support for Win7 certified drivers was excellent even under the original dev preview.

Abby
09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
For users who are not computer savvy and who have no idea what you're talking about when you say it improves this packet or that packet or whatever, Windows 8 is difficult. It might take you a few days to learn how to get around on the new interface, but for someone like me who didn't grow up in the age of computers it is a nightmare. I'm not a stupid person. I'm working on a Master's degree, but I do well just to turn it on, check my email, use Word to write my papers, attach files to turn in assignments and select "start" to get a game going. I turned on my very first computer at the age of 35, and while I try to learn as much as I can about how to function in this new technical world, it still feels like being tossed into the middle of a foreign country with no map, no compass, and no way of communicating with the natives. So yes, I am resistant to this level of change.