PDA

View Full Version : BSOD on G73 (blue, not black)

kiba
06-23-2012, 11:21 AM
my gf has my g73 with her on a business trip. she says that shes been getting blue screen of death after being on for a while. ill check it out when she gets back but does anyone have any thoughts on this? anything i can have her do over the phone? help is appreciated.

dstrakele
06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Have her download and run BlueScreenView from NirSoft. It'll read the mini-dump files on her machine and report the a) Bug Check String, b) Bug Check Code, c) 4 parameters, and d) filename of the driver that caused the BSOD. This info will help to troubleshoot the issue further.

If she has a G73JH or JW model, and the BSOD's occur when the laptop is not under heavy use, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND may be of interest.

kiba
06-23-2012, 04:53 PM
I had her do a screenshot of it for me, I didnt want to confuse her too much, so this is what i got back. She said the other ones she clicked on only said ntoskrnl.exe

I also read the thread about throttlestop, I will have her read it and install it, i will give her explicit instructions, Ill post progress later on.

dstrakele
06-23-2012, 06:56 PM
The listed drivers causing the BSOD's - NTFS.SYS and NTOSKRNL.EXE are the Windows 7 file system and main OS process. They are not likely the cause, but rather victims in these BSOD's or they could indicate the Windows installation is corrupt.

The STOP 0x34 CACHE_MANAGER BSOD typically indicates the system has run low on Pool Nonpaged memory. Since G Series Notebooks are typically well-supplied with memory, I would suspect a kernel mode driver is misbehaving and leaking large amounts of Nonpaged memory or there is memory corruption. Drivers in 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, and Disk Management software are the typical suspects in these cases. You can troubleshoot by uninstalling such programs and attempting to reproduce the BSOD's.

The STOP 0x1A MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD is also related to memory corruption or depletion.

The STOP 0x9F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD is a failure that occurs on a Resume from sleep/hibernation or a screen saver. This is the type of error I would expect to occur when the CPU drops into a lower power mode C-State, as discussed in the referenced thread.

Checking the filesystem with CHKDSK C: /F /R from a "Run as Administrator" Command Prompt and checking RAM with memtest86+ are other troubleshooting procedures that may be worthwhile in this case.

PILGRIM
06-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Apologies to you for this off-topic, Jsl1ce. I'd like to +1 dstrakele for his post but the forum has always
been stingy. How many times do I have to spread the wealth around before I come around?!!

kiba
06-23-2012, 07:37 PM
The listed drivers causing the BSOD's - NTFS.SYS and NTOSKRNL.EXE are the Windows 7 file system and main OS process. They are not likely the cause, but rather victims in these BSOD's or they could indicate the Windows installation is corrupt.

The STOP 0x34 CACHE_MANAGER BSOD typically indicates the system has run low on Pool Nonpaged memory. Since G Series Notebooks are typically well-supplied with memory, I would suspect a kernel mode driver is misbehaving and leaking large amounts of Nonpaged memory or there is memory corruption. Drivers in 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, and Disk Management software are the typical suspects in these cases. You can troubleshoot by uninstalling such programs and attempting to reproduce the BSOD's.

The STOP 0x1A MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD is also related to memory corruption or depletion.

The STOP 0x9F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD is a failure that occurs on a Resume from sleep/hibernation or a screen saver. This is the type of error I would expect to occur when the CPU drops into a lower power mode C-State, as discussed in the referenced thread.

Checking the filesystem with CHKDSK C: /F /R from a "Run as Administrator" Command Prompt and checking RAM with memtest86+ are other troubleshooting procedures that may be worthwhile in this case.

thanks dstrakele, youre extremely helpful, as always. ill troubleshoot it some more as soon as she gets back w/ the laptop. i suspected it was a memory issue, or maybe the windows installation, because i just did a fresh install of windows on it. but the other issue, you said it was a low power state after a screensaver? i had her set up throttlestop use task scheduler to make it run on startup, it took a while lolz, i hope she followed my instructions right. i had her leave it on for the time being to see if any more BSOD's pop up.

rather than have her troubleshoot it further, i think ill run memtest and chkdisk when she gets back, i was hoping for a quick fix for her because she needs the laptop on her business trip. i will post the results up here when she gets back with it, and as always any further help is much appreciated

Apologies to you for this off-topic, Jsl1ce. I'd like to +1 dstrakele for his post but the forum has always
been stingy. How many times do I have to spread the wealth around before I come around?!!
huh?.... lolz

dstrakele
06-23-2012, 08:29 PM
It would be helpful to have more detailed info on exactly what was taking place on the laptop when the BSOD's occurred and what programs she has installed since installing Windows.

Troubleshooting BSOD's is easier when the driver of a specific 3rd party program is listed as the cause. Then you can update or uninstall the problem program.

Memory corruption BSOD's are more problematic, since the corruption may occur for a long time before the failure occurs and the driver that fails is more often a victim processing previously corrupted memory than the cause.

In ThrottleStop, you want to specifically disable the CPU C_States to prevent the CPU from dropping into the lower power mode states that cause the lockups and BSOD's. Note that this issue is specific to G73JH and JW models.

kiba
06-23-2012, 09:17 PM
as far as that goes, she said everytime it happened, she had left the computer alone for a while and would come back and either see the BSOD, or a message saying the computer had just recovered from one. all she has installed on it as far as i know since i did the fresh install of windows is microsoft office. ill have more info for you once i get it back.

the good news is that she says it has been on for about 3 hours so far without a BSOD, so maybe the throttlestop workaround solved it *crosses fingers*

dstrakele
06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
as far as that goes, she said everytime it happened, she had left the computer alone for a while and would come back and either see the BSOD, or a message saying the computer had just recovered from one.

That is the typical scenario for G73JH or JW BSOD's or lockups during idle, where ThrottleStop provides the workaround.

kiba
06-24-2012, 08:10 AM
she said its been on all day, since 2pm, now its 3:45am and just got off the phone with her, she hasnt seen any BSOD's and even played Diablo 3 w/ some of her friends w/ no problems, she said she would leave it on while she slept and call me in the morning to let me know.

it sounds to me like she followed my instructions right for throttlestop and task scheduler, and it hopefully sollved the problem *knocks on wood*, but you never know for sure lol. i was hoping to use our G74 which she normally uses, for my work and give her the G73 which she likes better (for some reason) because of the lighter weight, smaller size and blue lights.... but i want to get it working perfectly for her so that she can use it w/ out worrying constantly if she's gonna get a random BSOD in the middle of work. she needs a laptop because of mobility, and likes to game while on boring business trips, so these laptops are a must-have for her, having it not working properly will be bad.

I love the g73, even though it has been a little less than reliable, but im wondering now if i shouldnt just have her use the g74 instead. that thread is kind of short, which is sometimes a good sign, but how is the reliability w/ the g73 after this throttlestop workaround? and what are your thoughts... let her keep using the g73, or the 74? so far today its been ok, but i want to run memcheck and chkdsk when she gets back.

dstrakele
06-24-2012, 05:37 PM
I love the g73, even though it has been a little less than reliable, but im wondering now if i shouldnt just have her use the g74 instead. that thread is kind of short, which is sometimes a good sign, but how is the reliability w/ the g73 after this throttlestop workaround? and what are your thoughts... let her keep using the g73, or the 74?

Most who reported lockups and BSOD's at idle have had success with ThrottleStop (See http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/571888-g73jw-freezes-when-not-use-13.html).

Haven't you learned anything?... You ALWAYS let the woman decide...

kiba
06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Haven't you learned anything?... You ALWAYS let the woman decide...
haha, so true, but thats how you get into trouble.

so far i think throttlestop has fixed our g73jh, this is good news. she said it was on all night and no BSOD

dstrakele
06-24-2012, 07:25 PM
haha, so true, but thats how you get into trouble.

No, if YOU make the decision, you will ultimately be wrong and never hear the end of it...

kiba
06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
No, if YOU make the decision, you will ultimately be wrong and never hear the end of it...
rofl, or worse...