PDA

View Full Version : cooling pad for g53

iluvatar
06-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Hi,

I've heard many people say that a cooling pad has no effect on asus g series laptops since the air intake vents are apparently located on the top of the laptop. However, there are quite large vents on the bottom of the laptop too, so I wanted to know if anyone has tried using a cooling pad and if it had any effect? Maybe someone tried on the g53 (which I have) and could tell me if there are drops in the temps. Also what would be a good cooling pad?

My gpu temperature goes almost up to 90C when gaming, which I think is too high. (I've already cleaned out the dust; with no effect)

n3tninja
06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I think you need a GPU repaste. The max gaming temp I get is around 86'c but it depends on what game you're playing. If you're playing Crysis on some max setting, expect your temp to touch 90'c.

A GPU can handle over 110'c before the computer shuts off to prevent damage. If your computer doesn't conk off while gaming then dont worry about it unless the keyboard is burning your hands or something....

I don't think you really need a cooling pad for the ASUS G53 .I think the best cooling pad is a good ventilated room at a pleasurable temperature.

:)

iluvatar
06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Have you done a gpu repaste on your laptop? I thought the gpu was soldered onto the motherboard. How do you get it off?

Zygomorphic
06-25-2012, 01:55 AM
@illuvatar, good to see you around :). I have checked the GPU temps under LINUX, and at idle there is zero difference (44-46 C). At full load, I think the GPU sits around 55-60 C (will have to check more carefully. Go ahead and try a cooler, it cannot hurt, and if it does nothing, simply return it to BestBuy for a refund.

+1 rep, @n3tninja! The thermal paste is between the GPU and the heat pipes. The heat pipes are connected to the mobo with screws which you will have to remove. You then go to Microcenter/Bestbuy and buy a syringe of thermal grease (I hear Arctic IC Diamond is best). Spread a little on the GPU and heat-sink and spread it around. You do not want too thick a layer, but it still needs good contact. Desktop OC'ers, we could use your advice.

I agree on the best chill pad. Make sure the room is not getting too warm. The Intel CPUs cut thermal at 100 C, and the GPUs are near that. Still, prolonged 80-90 C temperatures will make the thermal grease wear out faster (which exacerbates the problem) and cause more wear and tear on the GPU itself. This in turn leads to shorter product life-span.

eskion
07-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Won't repasting void the warrenty? If not, I will probably have to do that to my G53. How about a mod response to that

Zygomorphic
07-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Yes it will void your warranty, but the alternate is you have to send it in. If you are careful and have the right tools ~$20, you can do it yourself. The guys over in the PC building section are awesome help for things like how much thermal grease to put on, which brand to buy and so forth. The advantage of doing it yourself is that you know that it is done right...though I would like to think that all ASUS repair centers are really good. Most are, but a few are not.

eskion
07-06-2012, 03:39 AM
I can do it myself, but lets say next month the power pin breaks, or god knows what else. Would it be worth it apply the thermal paste myself in that case?

-edit-

I've had to RMA this craptastic laptop 3 times in 1 year...

Zygomorphic
07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
No, I would say not. Why are you having so many issues, I never have.

n3tninja
07-08-2012, 03:43 AM
Zygomorphic, do you have an Asus G53 ?

Zygomorphic
07-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Yup! G53SX, it works perfectly...except when it doesn't. ;) Actually, the only thing that does not seem to work is USB 3. I think it is a driver issue...those USB3 daughter cards are known to be unreliable. USB 2 works perfectly though!

n3tninja
07-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Oh nice :) ! I have an SW.

Gorman
07-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Zygo my G53 has gone in 4 times in around 18 months, I would say you are the exception not the rule - 4 months seems to be the mean time between failures.

Zygomorphic
07-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Glad to be the exception! System runs beautifully, except when I mess it up...which is virtually never.

kimiraikkonen
07-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I have G53JW-XA1 and i never ever tried to repaste GPU (GTX 460) as it shouldn't need. As far as i read everywhere, G73JH series are accused of having poorly pasted GPU thermal liquid and G53JW-SW series aren't mentioned as affected. Am i right?

But after reading the thread, i'm not sure whether i need to disassemble my notebook which i don't and not sure know how to do it successfully. If i play F1 2011at HIGH settings almost for 10 laps, my GPU temp hits 81 Celcius here, but the ambient room temp is between 25-30 degrees. My CPU temp fluctuates around 60-70 degrees which didn't cause any BSOD or shutdown so far.

Am i OK or worry about current temps mentioned above???

Thanks!

iluvatar
07-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I also have the g53 with 460m, if I play diablo for a few hours my gpu temp hits 84C. Your temps seem absolutely fine. They rise quickly but should then stay constant around the same value.

Zygomorphic
07-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Those temps are nothing to worry about, the thermal shutoff is around 100-110 C. If they stay there after a while, you are fine. If they keep climbing, then you have cause for concern.

mikezzz2012
07-11-2012, 06:57 AM
I recently bough a g53sx on june 28 2012 and I noticed it gets warm. I play flight simulator x and a lot of heat comes out from the vent at the back is that normal? also under the laptop of warm to hot. Should I get a cooling pad?

kimiraikkonen
08-04-2012, 02:43 PM
I have G53JW-XA1 and i never ever tried to repaste GPU (GTX 460) as it shouldn't need. As far as i read everywhere, G73JH series are accused of having poorly pasted GPU thermal liquid and G53JW-SW series aren't mentioned as affected. Am i right?

But after reading the thread, i'm not sure whether i need to disassemble my notebook which i don't and not sure know how to do it successfully. If i play F1 2011at HIGH settings almost for 10 laps, my GPU temp hits 81 Celcius here, but the ambient room temp is between 25-30 degrees. My CPU temp fluctuates around 60-70 degrees which didn't cause any BSOD or shutdown so far.

Am i OK or worry about current temps mentioned above???

Thanks!

You meant my temps? Yes gpu rises quickly to 81-82 degress after playing 3d intensive games and cpu is 65-70 degrees while ambient temp is 30 degrees. Hope mine are fine?

Zygomorphic
08-04-2012, 03:22 PM
I recently bough a g53sx on june 28 2012 and I noticed it gets warm. I play flight simulator x and a lot of heat comes out from the vent at the back is that normal? also under the laptop of warm to hot. Should I get a cooling pad?

@kimir, maybe try a chill pad. @mike, that is normal, the GPU is under the right-hand side of the keyboard and will definitely get warm. The air exits are on the back, and will push out hot air.

Trying a chillpad is definitely worth it.