PDA

View Full Version : Switching from an iMac. Need major help.

dmoon723
06-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Hi there. I've been a long-time Mac user for school and work, but I've decided to pick a G75 (BB model) up within the next week.

I mostly play WoW with my girlfriend and her brother, but I plan on playing some more graphics heavy games in the future (Skyrim, BF), so I figured the G75 would be perfect considering we never play in the same place and I'm tired of moving my iMac around.

My main question to you all is, what should I do right out of the box?

I haven't owned a Windows-based machine in years, and while I'm familiar with the basic operations of Windows 7, I want to know what I should do as soon as I plug this bad boy in to get the most out of it. What should I uninstall/install? Does the BB version come with startup disks? Should I get an extended warranty? Basic stuff.

Thanks in advance.

edit:

NEEEEVER mind lol. I just found the "what to do first thread." Sorry to take up space. :rolleyes:

chrsplmr
06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Welcome dMoon--to ROGforum..
Congrats finally coming Home... and the G.
Also, I dont know if you saw this area .. but as it is named .. Best of Luck.c.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?149-G75-G55-IMPORTANT-amp-USEFUL-THREADS (http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?149-G75-G55-IMPORTANT-amp-USEFUL-THREADS)

dmoon723
06-25-2012, 06:58 PM
I have a question I don't really see the answer to, however. Under what circumstances would I need to have some startup discs burned? Why is this such a necessary first step?

xeromist
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM
I have a question I don't really see the answer to, however. Under what circumstances would I need to have some startup discs burned? Why is this such a necessary first step?

In the case of a total hard drive failure this would allow you to restore the machine to factory specs. If you just had a problem with the OS install you can always use the recovery partition on the drive but that doesn't work if you have to put a whole new drive in. That said, if you download an OEM ISO from digital river and burn it to disc you could just use the key pasted on the bottom of your machine. Some people do this anyway if they want to delete the recovery partition for space reasons or have a completely fresh install with no drivers or packaged software.

dmoon723
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
I gotcha. So if all else fails, reformat?

With that said, I've read AMAZING reviews for this machine. Then I've come here and read some not-so-amazing things about it. I understand the computer comes with a 1 year warranty. BB offers a 2 year for 199. Is this really worth getting? Or will all my problems, if any, happen with the first year anyway?

xeromist
06-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I gotcha. So if all else fails, reformat?

With that said, I've read AMAZING reviews for this machine. Then I've come here and read some not-so-amazing things about it.

Remember that this is where people come looking when they have problems. Almost nobody comes here to say how well things have been working. I'm not saying people don't have problems, but this is not a statistically relevant sample.

Most hardware will fail within a short while or last a long time so I'm not sure an extended warranty is worth it, IMO. But historically the warranty has been 2 years with 1 year of ADW. This came up the other day and I'm wondering if online retailers are stating only the ADW & not the parts warranty. Please check your paperwork if you get one and let us know how long the warranty actually is.

Oh, if you have the chance to get some sort of accidental damage coverage(ADW) through ASUS or a 3rd party I would definitely go for that though.