PDA

View Full Version : Asus G73S Freezing/Locking up

RevertM
06-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi i have a Asus G73s laptop and I bought it about April of 2011, It was working awesome until about 4-5 months after purchase when it suddenly started locking up. (I.E. not being able to move anything and the sound would be in continuous loop). Eventually it went away on its own and i didnt worry about it. Well now its happening again and im officially past my 12m warranty.

I ran DPC Latency Checker and saw that without even running a game the latency was far to high, and even if running a game it shouldnt be that high.

Well I went through all my drivers disabling/re-enabling them one by one until i got to the graphics card. This is what it looks like without the graphics card enabled.

Any help here on what needs to be done? Is it a bad graphics card or is it a bad driver? Im not much of a computer expert as all i know how to do is build computers and some minor diagnostics. And if it is a bad card how much will one of the same power cost and do you all have any recommendations?

dstrakele
06-23-2012, 09:11 PM
I would think it is more likely the video driver. What version are you currently running?

What 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to your system? The drivers in these type of programs are the usual suspects in system lockups.

RevertM
06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
I would think it is more likely the video driver. What version are you currently running?

What 3rd party Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed to your system? The drivers in these type of programs are the usual suspects in system lockups.

Im using the windows 7 firewall and AVG but no management software that isnt already pre installed. The lock ups happen even before i installed AVG.

Nvidia Geforce gtx460m driver version 8.17.13.142

dstrakele
06-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Did you do a clean install (choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox) of the 301.42 NVIDIA driver from Windows Safe Mode? If not, I'd try re-installing it that way. If the lockups persisted, I'd try backrevving to 295.73 or even 285.62 using the same method.

RevertM
06-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Ill reinstall it and get back to you with the results

RevertM
06-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Still getting high latency readings so ill backdate the drivers to see if its just a problem with that specific driver.

RevertM
06-24-2012, 02:04 AM
My laptop is still locking up even though ive backdated the drivers. The laptop only locks up when i open games, mostly diablo but also occurs with other games.

dstrakele
06-24-2012, 05:07 AM
I've read of cases where someone develops a video driver issue and it persists even when they backrev to driver versions that were previously stable. They finally resolve the problem by reinstalling Windows.

I suspect that driver remnants that fail to uninstall continue to cause problems. Here is one more thing you can try. Uninstall your current NVIDIA driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program". REBOOT and Boot into Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to remove any NVIDIA driver remnants. Follow up with CCleaner to clean up the registry. REBOOT and install a stable NVIDIA driver version using a clean install from Safe Mode.

RevertM
06-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Ive done what you said to do and ive also tried updating my audio codecs thinking it might be the Asus Audio Lockup bug. So far nothing is working. Ill keep trying different things.

dstrakele
06-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Do you see any Errors or Warnings in the System or Application Event Logs that point to a troubleshooting direction? Look from up to 2 hours prior to, and up to the point of the lockup.

I remember reading a thread where the user reported lockups and it appeared as if his hard disk was failing (CHKDSK would not complete). But in the System Event Log, there were multiple events indicating the wireless adapter had failed. Once he physically removed the defective WiFi card, the lockups ceased. I'm not saying that is your issue, but it shows that the cause of the problem was being reported in the Windows System Event Log all along.

RevertM
06-25-2012, 05:18 AM
191 events last one occuring at 6/24/2012 4:46am
The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

46 events last one occuring 6/24/2012 4:47am
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

Kernel Power not being shut down properly was the only one to occur within the past hr but that was because i had to manually shut it down when it froze/lockedup.

dstrakele
06-25-2012, 05:33 AM
I typically Google the text of the events to troubleshoot further. I end up going to http://eventid.net/ a LOT.... But I also read threads where user's report the same Error and Warning events to search for potential resolutions.

RevertM
06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Ive googled some events and so far some seem like they dont cause lockups (not that sure). Do you think a fresh install of windows 7 would work?

I have a windows 7 OEM cd 64bit that i used on my desktop i built a while back. Can i use it to reinstall windows?

I was thinking use driver sweeper and ccleaner to clean up some things then use the windows cd to do a fresh install that isnt flashed from the hard drive. Idk im running out of ideas, and my tax return to build my next computer is to far away.

dstrakele
06-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, what version WiFi driver are you running? The earlier version Atheros drivers caused many problems related to high DPC Latency on many G Series systems.

Also, did you try the NVIDIA 304.42 BETA? http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17751-Good-News-Owners-of-G74-s-!-(Nvidia-Fix-for-our-Monitor-s-Issues!)&country=&status= has the download link.

RevertM
06-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN

And no not yet.

dstrakele
06-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I'd give the NVIDIA 304.48 BETA a try for one last shot...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9051-Asus-G74SX-Clean-Install-Clear-ups-and-Doubts may be of help if you choose to perform a clean Windows 7 installation.

RevertM
06-25-2012, 03:11 PM
I got the driver to install and tried to run diablo, froze just a few moments into the game.

dstrakele
06-25-2012, 03:28 PM
And you're doing a clean install from Safe Mode? If so, you know what the next step is...

RevertM
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
And you're doing a clean install from Safe Mode? If so, you know what the next step is...

Well i guess ill get back to you in a while.....

RevertM
06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
So far so good, havent installed any games and the only issue i have to contend with right now is finding all my drivers online for the things it cant find on windows installer.

RevertM
06-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Back with bad news, it still freezes even after a clean install of windows. So im at my wits end, im a pc gamer with an entire week off coming up with no pc to play games on!

dstrakele
06-26-2012, 09:35 AM
That's unfortunate. I would run memtest86+ on one pair of memory sticks at a time, 3 passes each. Any reported error is a fail in this test. If it's too difficult to reach all the memory, just do what you can.

RevertM
06-28-2012, 07:53 AM
That's unfortunate. I would run memtest86+ on one pair of memory sticks at a time, 3 passes each. Any reported error is a fail in this test. If it's too difficult to reach all the memory, just do what you can.

So ive ran memtest on each stick individually and all is well, i even did a stress test on my gpu which went fine (pushed it to its max so now ive ruled out my graphics card)... but i did a little research about the weird buzzing noise i hear when it freezes and came to this hyposthesis. Its my sound card or driver. So i disabled it well actually there were 5? I would think there would only be 2 at most. The list was:

High Definition Audio
High Definition Audio
High Definition Audio
High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Which i dont know whats going on there especially since i did a clean install. Anyways, i disabled all of them and opened up diablo 3 and to my surprise it continued to run! Instead of freezing within a few seconds.

dstrakele
06-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Ineresting! The 4 High Definition Audio drivers are installed by NVIDIA for HDMI Audio. If you leave them disabled and enable only the Realtek driver, does the lockup occur?

What versions of NVIDIA and Realtek Audio drivers are you currently running?

RevertM
06-28-2012, 05:44 PM
With only the realtek driver active it doesnt freeze. The realtek driver is 6.0.1.6602

dstrakele
06-29-2012, 12:26 AM
That's good! At least you can have sound for most applications. Just no playing it over your TV speakers via HDMI. I wonder if you disable Realtek and enable NVIDIA, will that also function without a llockuo? If so, it may indicate different version NVIDIA Audio drivers will prevent a lockup when BOTH are enabled.

RevertM
06-29-2012, 01:16 AM
I have both realtek and nvidia active just the other 4 audio drivers disabled

firmware
06-29-2012, 06:27 AM
I had this problem too, it would freeze up for a few seconds every once in a while.

RevertM
06-29-2012, 07:02 AM
I had this problem too, it would freeze up for a few seconds every once in a while.

When mine froze the entire computer freezes with no errors in the event log. I even let it sit once for a couple hours and it never unfroze. Im just happy i figured it out.

RevertM
07-06-2012, 05:32 AM
By the way the laptop is now freezing again. This time more severely, it seems the disabling the audio devices wasn't successful at all.

Bugchecks: 0x000116 x16 occurrences
0x000009 x1occurrences
0x0000007e x1occurrences
0x000019 x1occurrences

Error Event ID 7001
The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

93 Times since formatting.

I've rolled back Graphic's Drivers to the very first one and still no success.

Ran Furmark with no issues.

When a game does freeze it loops one note of a sound continuously and the entire laptop locks/freezes.

Clean install did not work.

I've tried resetting the page-file to no avail and also ran SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

All my sticks of memory have had Memtest86+ ran on them with no errors found.

My HD was 16% fragmented before the clean install due to past issues.

I am about to throw the laptop out my window on the 3rd story.

Tried a few diag stuff from http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/63320-stop-0x116-video_tdr_error-troubleshooting.html

Im seriously about to give up i spent 1k or so when this laptop came out and its now a piece of crap.

dstrakele
07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Try running a diagnostic utility called "Micro-Scope" as used by @GamingInsider in this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11400-G73JH-Woes-amp-Problems&p=82001&viewfull=1#post82001. See if it can locate a hardware problem on your system.

Personally, I believe you have a hardware problem, since multiple Windows 7 re-installs and driver changes have failed to resolve the BSOD/Lockup issues. I'm starting to suspect your VGA. You report a lot of STOP 0x116 BSOD's. Windows is attempting to reset your VGA after a timeout of more than 2 seconds, but this reset fails and it then has to stop the system, rather than having the reset succeed and reporting the video driver timed out and was recovered (a typical TDR error).

The Network error reported in the Event Logs is also interesting. If you disable your WiFi adapter in Device Manager and use an Ethernet connection, does this error still occur? Do you still BSOD on starting games?

RevertM
07-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Yes ive tried running through lan only and it immediatley locks up.

dstrakele
07-06-2012, 08:02 PM
1) But did disable the Wireless Network Adapter beforehand?

2) Have you tried Micro-Scope?

RevertM
07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes i disabled the wireless, I atleast think i did. And Micro-scope is still downloading i couldnt find anyother links besides one that was in rapidshare and its taking forever to download. Only 500mb and its taking over an hr to download.

dstrakele
07-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I've never used Micro-Scope. I thought it would be a diagnostic utility you could download from the developer site or CNET downloads...apparently not! You might PM @GamingIsider about it. I was impressed with how it diagnosed his difficult issue.

RevertM
07-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Unfortunately its like a 400 dollar program.

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 12:30 AM
I recommend sending @GamingInsider a PM to confirm exactly what he used.

RevertM
07-07-2012, 12:54 AM
So ive looked up some stuff and found that my laptop also has the Atheros Wireless Card but I dont even see a driver for it in my Device Manager

RevertM
07-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Ok nvm i tried updating the driver for the atheros card but i guess i dont have that. How do i tell what wireless card i have.

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 03:58 AM
If you expand "Network Adapters" in Device Manager, the name of the Wireless Network Adapter displayed (in most cases) is the model of your WiFi card.

RevertM
07-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Okay i have the Intel Centrino Advanced N 6250 AGN and a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

dstrakele
07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
The Intel 6250 is your WiFi card. It also has WiMAX capability. Realtek is your Ethernet. It would be interesting to know if either of these components are involved with the Network errors you receive and ultimately, your BSOD/Lockup issue.

And your VGA can't be left out as a suspect, with all the recent STOP 0x116 BSOD's you reported recently.

RevertM
07-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Well i uninstalled the wifi and plugged my laptop straight into my modem and it seems to be working for now.

RevertM
07-08-2012, 11:25 AM
So it froze even with the wifi uninstalled. But i tried to take the laptop apart and got all the way down to taking out the mobo except that one screw that held the fan in was pre-stripped. Which kinda pissed me off a bit because that one screw was holding in the mobo now i couldnt check the graphics card for any damage.