PDA

View Full Version : G53Sw fails to turn on after RAM Upgrade

mars83
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
I bought Corsair Vegenace DDR3 1600MHz 16GB (4x4GB). I removed factory installed memory from hidden Slot1 and installed the rest. I connected everything (I used YouTube to disassembly + assembly - EASY). I connected everything with any sign of problem. I turned my G53 back and pooof. Doens't work :/ Lights on/off - P4G - ROG - CAPS LOCK - NUM LOCK and POWER buttons are lighting. And that's basically it. I found out that removing baterry and pressing PWR button for 2 mins will clear BIOS settings but it didn't work. Also I tried to reflash BIOS but it doesn't work neither (CD just spins and nothing more is happening - burned AMIBOOT.ROM to DVD).
Any clues what to do? I have also SSD for it and now everything is lying around and I don't have any idea what to do :/

iluvatar
06-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Well the problem obviously seems to be the ram. So take all the sticks out and then check stick by stick if they work only putting in 1 at the time.

mars83
06-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Well the problem obviously seems to be the ram. So take all the sticks out and then check stick by stick if they work only putting in 1 at the time.

Well I tried that, I tried old stick. Now doesn't matter what I do it's still the same problem :/

iluvatar
06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
So you took them all out and put the old one back in and it still boots with a black screen?
Does it seem like windows is loading in the background and the screen stays black? Like if you press the power button, does it turn off after a simple press or do you have to hold it for some time?
It might just be a loose connection somewhere. I would disassemble it and put it back together with great care, making sure you connect everything in the right way. For the moment I don't know what else you could do. I don't think a hardware defect could arise just from taking it apart. Have you had any problems before this?

mars83
06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
So you took them all out and put the old one back in and it still boots with a black screen?
Does it seem like windows is loading in the background and the screen stays black? Like if you press the power button, does it turn off after a simple press or do you have to hold it for some time?
It might just be a loose connection somewhere. I would disassemble it and put it back together with great care, making sure you connect everything in the right way. For the moment I don't know what else you could do. I don't think a hardware defect could arise just from taking it apart. Have you had any problems before this?

I've done it 4 times now (disassemble with great care). And I still got that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxEEtYEnAw&feature=youtube_gdata_player kind of thing

It never does POST so i'm f****d

iluvatar
06-24-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry for you. I have the same laptop and never had a problem after taking it apart. I've no idea how something could break because of a disassembly unless you slipped and hit something with your screwdriver. You didn't have any problems before that? Have you tried to put the factory ram in a different slot?
Also you said you tried to flash the bios, did you actually get to do it? That can screw everything up if it fails.

mars83
06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry for you. I have the same laptop and never had a problem after taking it apart. I've no idea how something could break because of a disassembly unless you slipped and hit something with your screwdriver. You didn't have any problems before that? Have you tried to put the factory ram in a different slot?
Also you said you tried to flash the bios, did you actually get to do it? That can screw everything up if it fails.
I was very careful. My screwdriver never slipped. And it never happened before. When it failed I tried to put it to slot under keyboard and that didn't work also :/ I'm going with RMA tomorrow :)

iluvatar
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
My rma took 5 weeks, hopefully yours will be quicker.
Good luck!

mars83
06-24-2012, 10:10 PM
My rma took 5 weeks, hopefully yours will be quicker.
Good luck!

Well I hope it will take less than 4 weeks. But I read that Irish/English (UK) support isn't good so I'm praying LOL

Btw. Should I include 4 sticks + old stick, or just old stick?

iluvatar
06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
I would only include the stick that came with the laptop. If they see that you tried an upgrade, they might claim that it is your fault.

Happymish
01-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Hi,

Did you get your ASUS fixed? would appreciate an update.

ASUS can take up to 16GB of RAM. You do not need to updated the BIOS, it will cound the new RAM on the start up.

One of the things that could cause the laptop not to power up when you add new RAM is poor RAM connection to the laptop. You have to insert the RAM in the slot at an agle (about 45deg) to the board, then when they are fully in, push them down towards the board. you should feel some spring like resistance.

It did happen that people did not insert the RAM properly and they got the same problem you describe.

PS. If you are running Windows 7 home edition, you will not be able to use all 16GB. Win7 home edition can only mange a total of 16GB of RAM, so after taking other memory in consideration (1.5GB RAM for the graphics card for example), you will probably end up with about 14GB of usable RAM.

Good luck

HM

DarkJC
01-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Hello, G53SW accepts only DDR3 1333Mhz bus with.

evga
01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
just remove all the ram modules (including the one under the keyboard) . Then install your old ram on the lowest slot (the most nearest slot to mobo ) only in that slot and turn on the laptop . If this doesn't work then disassemble whole laptop and remove cmos battery and press power button for few seconds reinsert cmos and turn on this will bring back your laptop for sure. Be-careful while disassembling .
thank you

Pitcher@asus
01-10-2013, 06:17 AM
ASUS are agree use change DIMM and HDD by themself, but is dismantle to other site, it would be out of warranty.