PDA

View Full Version : [G53SW] Need help installing SSD and doing a fresh install!

srow91
06-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Hello I have bee searching so many threads and I still can not grasp the concept yet. I have many questions...

1)which ssd will work best with my G53SW?

I have a hdd that has been partitioned and I also have a new copy of Window 7 Ultimate.

2)do I just replace the HDD with SDD and do a fresh installment of window 7 first and than put the hdd in to the remaining slot? Or do I format my hdd first before I remove it?

3)I have never updated my bios yet. should I do this before installing sdd?

4)what is ACHI mod and where do I enable it?

I will really appreciate it if anyone can answer any of these questions. Thank you for your time! :))

Gorman
06-24-2012, 09:18 PM
1) Anything that fits in the slot really - I recommend getting at least a 128gb SSD, or if you can afford it a 256 (they are under $1 per gb so why not!)

2) There is no need to format the HDD, or even remove it. When you use your W7 install you simply choose to install it on to the SSD, you can later format the W7 partition on your HDD that you won't need any more.

3) It shouldn't make a difference as to before or after. Your choice really. Personally I do it when I install drivers.

4) Google it ;)

srow91
06-25-2012, 03:11 AM
1) Anything that fits in the slot really - I recommend getting at least a 128gb SSD, or if you can afford it a 256 (they are under $1 per gb so why not!)

2) There is no need to format the HDD, or even remove it. When you use your W7 install you simply choose to install it on to the SSD, you can later format the W7 partition on your HDD that you won't need any more.

3) It shouldn't make a difference as to before or after. Your choice really. Personally I do it when I install drivers.

4) Google it ;)

Thank you so much!!

cbolin21
06-26-2012, 06:40 AM
I just did an upgrade on my G74sx and found this post here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status=) for the drivers. Should be generally the same. It is worth the upgrade but just in case you didn't know do not defrag an SSD. Shortens the life of the drive. Good luck on your install and if you have anymore questions just post them here and somebody will have an answer for you.