PDA

View Full Version : G75 GPU Upgrade

Guido7142
06-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Hi everyone, I was surfing the Internet as always for an answer to the question, is it possible to upgrade the G75's GPU ? I found this image:

This clearly shows that the connection is at least physically identical to MxM 3.0, which I think it is indeed, and opens up the possibility of an upgrade. Just wanted to know what you think.

I would really appreciate the response of a ROG HQ member like Marshall.

john_from_ohio
06-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Been answered in here a bunch of times already ... yes theoretically possible ... standard connector ... not soldered ( for G75VW ) ... issue would be retro fitting in an upgrade and cooling etc ... some fancy cutting perhaps ... some asus resellers may offer upgrades eventually.

Marshall has noted that 680 is not yet part of any official plans for G75 ... so nothing much to say from asus as of now.

Guido7142
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
You say there are only physical constrains ? Would BIOS be a problem ?

Daylife
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone, I was surfing the Internet as always for an answer to the question, is it possible to upgrade the G75's GPU ? I found this image:

This clearly shows that the connection is at least physically identical to MxM 3.0, which I think it is indeed, and opens up the possibility of an upgrade. Just wanted to know what you think.

I would really appreciate the response of a ROG HQ member like Marshall.

AMD 7970M? lol :D i wish.

Guido7142
06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
The problem in this is always that nobody has the ability to spend $600 in something that might not even work. There's those guys of MxM service in Belgium I think that dedicate there lives to do this but nobody is willing to ship its notebook there. I sent an email to them asking if they have had any chance to try an upgrade but I had no response.

I know this is a question that has been spinning around the forum for quite a time, I'm sorry if someone is tired of people asking this and making new posts, but if there is a chance of upgrade to the HD 7970m or at least the GTX 675m this notebook would be a killer price performance deal.

Once again, leave your opinion and experiences. I would like to know aw was the process of upgrading a G73 since I heard that those were up gradable.

Zygomorphic
06-25-2012, 01:42 AM
You say there are only physical constrains ? Would BIOS be a problem ?

Going AMD would likely have BIOS problems, but an upgraded nVidia card of the same generation would likely be OK. However, the interface is not the only constraint, the form factor is as well. I am none too familiar with the MXM 3.0 standard, but I can tell you that the MXM cards are roughly rectangular, not a blocky "L". That is a custom form factor to allow the HDD(s) to sit in front of the mobo, so unless ASUS makes an upgraded card--troll ebay--I do not think that you will be able to upgrade. I wish we could though, we could get so much more out of our ROG notebooks. Come on, ASUS, give us laptop customization (with disassembly expertise) like that of a desktop. Let us swap procs, GPUs, memory, HDD(s), etc. You could corner the custom lappy market...

Guido7142
06-25-2012, 01:57 AM
That's absolutely true... Asus is just samrt in everything but when it comes to customization they are not leaders per say. G75 has an excellent easy HDD/SSD and RAM update access but GPU is not that easy; cooling in this notebook is just incredible, and we can continue naming pros. Really do not know why they do this but hope this changes.

I personally choose Asus for their expertise in nearly everything. G75 looks particularly incredible, elegant, low profile, excellent materials, everything as regards aesthetic is astonishing. But in performance they seem to choose to sacrifice it to have lower power consumption. I love efficiency and low power consumption but this is the G Series... it's supposed to be the blasting performance line. For low power there's the zenbook or the K Series. Still they choose the less performance for more efficiency profile.

Anyways, everyone who has a clue if this can be upgraded at least to a 675m, please leave a comment.

Guido7142
06-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Can an Asus HQ member give an answer please ?

john_from_ohio
06-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Can an Asus HQ member give an answer please ?
What information are you looking for that has not been supplied so far? Asus employees do not reply much here if at all ... just the way it is ...

BrandeX
06-30-2012, 01:21 PM
They are Chinese people in Taiwan (ASUS), the forum mods here only get some info passed down.

Guido7142
06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I did not know that. Also strange that I've sent the technical support an e mail last week and was responded immediately but then I sent another one and it has been almost five fays and had no response... Live chat with a technician is temporary unavailable too...

john_from_ohio
06-30-2012, 04:55 PM
There is the group of techy Italians that will take a whack at upgrading a G75 to 680m once available ... it ain't gonna be cheap ... but definitely some people out where will take stabs at stuff like this.

Be a whole lot cheaper to sit it out and wait until Asus has it ( or some other graphics manufacturer cards ) in next series.

Yes the GPU in the G75 theoretically can be upgraded ... but fit and cooling requirements of a different card ... thats gonna be tricky ...

Zimba
06-30-2012, 08:18 PM
There is the group of techy Italians that will take a whack at upgrading a G75 to 680m once available ... it ain't gonna be cheap ... but definitely some people out where will take stabs at stuff like this.

Be a whole lot cheaper to sit it out and wait until Asus has it ( or some other graphics manufacturer cards ) in next series.

Yes the GPU in the G75 theoretically can be upgraded ... but fit and cooling requirements of a different card ... thats gonna be tricky ...

Where have you seen that? Forum?
Apparantly from what I`ve read lately the GTX 680M is too big for the G75, so Asus must design a new notebook just for it from what I remember. But who knows, maybe the italians have some tricks up their sleeves? :)

If anyone knows how to get in touch with the technicians @ Asus let me know since we must tell them that there is a lot of people wanting the 680M inside the G75. Its crushing the GTX 670M yet it runs just as cool. The only obstacle from not including it, is that it will cost a hefty premium over 660M/670M but there should be nothing stopping Asus from including it in their catalogue since they can offer all 3 GPUs. :)

Guido7142
06-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Really, I do not see a G75 with 680m coming. Maybe in G76 but to me it seems that the 670m is it within the GPU of the G75. I have been posting and following a thread in the Notebook Review forum about all this, take a look at it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/660789-asus-g75-680m-upgrade.html