PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Recovery Drive

Shinrai
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I was curious if there is a way to install the recovery partition that is located on the laptop onto another hard drive and get it to boot. I went to upgrade my 1tb 5400rpm to a 750gb 7200 rpm and the recovery partition will not boot. Keeps giving me the error 0xc0000225. Which was the same error I initially got when transfering the OS partition. I fixed that by using a genuine Windows 7 Home disc to repair the OS. Everything worked fine for the OS. But when I do the same and try to repair the boot partition it will not work.

To make it clear I am able to access the boot partition while holding down F9.

john_from_ohio
06-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Go back to your original 1 TB drive and update to the latest Asus recovery utility then burn yourself a set of recovery DVDs.

Pull your 1 TB drive out and put the new drive in ... use the Recovery DVDs to re-install everything including the recovery partition onto your new drive.

Cecil has this all documented clearly and step by step ... follow his guide ... you can find it here

G75-G55-IMPORTANT-amp-USEFUL-THREADS (http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?149-G75-G55-IMPORTANT-amp-USEFUL-THREADS)

Shinrai
06-24-2012, 08:02 PM
The thing is I don't really want a fresh install as my OS is working just fine. I just want the ability later if I need to to be able to run the recovery partition.

Shinrai
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Additionally it's giving me an error that the Factory Default backup is deleted. And that I cannot use the AI Recovery. Is there a link somewhere to an ISO for these? I'd even be willing to mirror the links on 2 web adddresses (2 seperate web servers).

john_from_ohio
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Additionally it's giving me an error that the Factory Default backup is deleted.

Did you already create a set of recovery DVD's? On your original hard drive? If not then put it back in as primary drive and make a set.

If you have a set of original recovery DVD's already ( from before updating asus recovery utility ) ... they will work EXCEPT on hard drives that are 1 TB or larger.

They only way that I know to reliably get a working recovery partition on a 2nd drive that really works is by using the recovery DVDs to re-install everything on a 2nd drive. If you are getting creative trying to do it some other way well perhaps it is possible but at this time "yoyo" ... You are On Your Own ...

Shinrai
06-24-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm not really in the habit of creating DVDs I'm not meant to have to use as the Recovery Partition is there to take the place of recovery DVDs. Regardless your answer isn't helpful at all at this point. You said to use a recovery disk. But neither HDD are detecting the backup. The original 1TB was not touched but after removing it the 2nd time from the laptop it no longer wanted to load anything.

Here is a better question though. My friend has the same model of laptop as mine but his hardware is slightly older and so is his software. If I update his software and make a backup from his laptop would that work? This is more of a question towards the actual staff from ROG. As I don't believe anyone would know otherwise.

Notably: My laptop came with a Samsung 1tb Momentus 5400rpm HDD, his came with a Seagate 1tb Momentus 5400rpm HDD. His overlay display icons look much more generic. While mine look much more like the ROG Logo. Those are some of the differences I've noticed between our laptops. Same model, same retailer.

john_from_ohio
06-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Here is a better question though. My friend has the same model of laptop as mine but his hardware is slightly older and so is his software. If I update his software and make a backup from his laptop would that work?

Yes it probably will work ... may need to reactivate windows and/or change registration keys.

Everyone should have recovery DVDs ... the recovery partition ONLY works if the original hard drive is still working and no one has screwed around with anything significant.

The recovery partition will also work if you use the recovery DVD's to re-install onto a different hard drive.

Cecil_2099
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
John's right.

The issue you have is that you can't clone the OS and Recovery partition and expect it to work. ASUS has a custom Master Boot Record that makes everything work correctly. The only way I know of to easily recreate the Recovery Partition and a working MBR on a new hard drive is to use the Recovery DVDs that you are SUPPOSED to burn. That's what the DVDs are for - recovering to a new HDD in the case the original HDD has a catastrophic failure.

In any case, are you saying that you cannot use the AI Recovery utility on the original untouched HDD to create a set of Recovery DVDs? Also are you saying that the original untouched HDD will no longer boot?