PDA

View Full Version : G74sx cooling system

Jegga
06-26-2012, 01:17 AM
Hi all fellas!

soon i will have to buy asomething to cool up a bit mt g74 and i found this:
http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/accessories/sf19usb2/

someone can recomand this to me or you have some better solution?

tnx as always nerds! :o

DrBeltway
06-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Not much in the way of info on the linked cooling pad but the G74SX air intake is over/above the keyboard (the panel with holes) so I get the impression that a cooler that blows air up from under the laptop probably won't work so well.

dstrakele
06-26-2012, 02:29 AM
Set yourself up with one of these: http://www.amerikooler.com/ and you'll have lowest gaming temperatures of all your friends...

adamsyes
06-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Set yourself up with one of these: http://www.amerikooler.com/ and you'll have lowest gaming temperatures of all your friends...

OMG LOOOOOL DUDE !

ROFL you made my day

TorturedBIscuit
06-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Not much in the way of info on the linked cooling pad but the G74SX air intake is over/above the keyboard (the panel with holes) so I get the impression that a cooler that blows air up from under the laptop probably won't work so well.
This. In fact, it won't work at all because these laptops aren't designed to be cooler compatible.

pnyknights
06-27-2012, 02:20 AM

Not sure where the OP is located, but all the zellers in Canada are closing down and selling off everything...INCLUDING the walk in freezers from the attached restuarants :) Only problem is those models don't have windows :P

dstrakele
06-27-2012, 03:38 AM
Now why would you need windows? They just distract you from the game on the display...

AdelaisAer
06-27-2012, 04:40 AM
This. In fact, it won't work at all because these laptops aren't designed to be cooler compatible.

Not completely true. Yes, the air-intake vents are under the screen, instead of the bottom of the laptop, so you'd think that putting your laptop on a cooling pad would do nothing.

However, need I remind you that at the bottom of the laptop is where the majority of the meat is - your CPU, GPU, RAM, HDDs, SDDs, etc. If you touch it while it's in use, it does feel fairly hot. Also, from experience I use a triple-fan gaming cooling pad, and it cools my G74SX down by a bit. Not as much as I'd hope, but not too little, either. It does the job well enough for me to be able to play GTA4 without over-heating, and I've played that game for eight hours at once.

The only issue is that you need to use canned air on the in-take vent underneath the screen and on the giant vent at the back TWICE A WEEK, AT LEAST. This ensure that dust won't build up - otherwise, your laptop will overheat to the point where even playing it out in the snow won't help.

Hopefully OP will read this.

pnyknights
06-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Not completely true. Yes, the air-intake vents are under the screen, instead of the bottom of the laptop, so you'd think that putting your laptop on a cooling pad would do nothing.

However, need I remind you that at the bottom of the laptop is where the majority of the meat is - your CPU, GPU, RAM, HDDs, SDDs, etc. If you touch it while it's in use, it does feel fairly hot. Also, from experience I use a triple-fan gaming cooling pad, and it cools my G74SX down by a bit. Not as much as I'd hope, but not too little, either. It does the job well enough for me to be able to play GTA4 without over-heating, and I've played that game for eight hours at once.

The only issue is that you need to use canned air on the in-take vent underneath the screen and on the giant vent at the back TWICE A WEEK, AT LEAST. This ensure that dust won't build up - otherwise, your laptop will overheat to the point where even playing it out in the snow won't help.

Hopefully OP will read this.

I was wondering how to clean the vents on the g74. I mean blowing air from the outside into the laptop just doesn't seem right. I blow from the top vents how effective is that? With the G2S I was able to access the fan assembly to remove it then blow air from the inside and out through the exhaust. Not sure how to access the the fans on the g74 though...aside from taking the whole bottom panel off :S

Bojamijams
07-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I too don't like the idea of blowing from the outside in... will just get the dust stuck into parts that it wouldn't normally get into and probably will never come out again

and just shooting the compressed air through the intake doesn't seem like it would get ALL the dust out either... is there a way to get to the heatsinks completely?

ConspiracyHeist
07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I too don't like the idea of blowing from the outside in... will just get the dust stuck into parts that it wouldn't normally get into and probably will never come out again

and just shooting the compressed air through the intake doesn't seem like it would get ALL the dust out either... is there a way to get to the heatsinks completely?

well I have found that really we only have two options one open up the bottom panel and spray the air into the back vents and the intake on the keyboard as frequently as you possibly can delaying the dust build up as long as possible and two eventually having to dissasemble the thing to reach the fans. As for me I am holding off as long as I can for the later and just consistantly if not analy keep her clean.
Good luck friend

kibliss
08-09-2013, 05:54 PM
I was wondering how to clean the vents on the g74. I mean blowing air from the outside into the laptop just doesn't seem right. I blow from the top vents how effective is that? With the G2S I was able to access the fan assembly to remove it then blow air from the inside and out through the exhaust. Not sure how to access the the fans on the g74 though...aside from taking the whole bottom panel off :S

Use a qtip, you can dap the tip in a drop of water. Just enough so dust will stick a bit. It might take a few qtips as it will tear up the tips while you are rubbing the dust off of the vents. Yes do not use an air duster, it will just force the dust further inside the laptop where it can create a blanket of heat and all sorts of other problems.

hotBBQfarts
03-30-2014, 05:04 AM
As far as the leaning of the vents, this is what I use. I have one of those bad boy dyson vacuums. I put the attachment on that has the bristles and get all that crud out of there. I do it fairly quickly and dont sit there with the vacuum on it due to spinning the internal fans too much. I am worried that the fans spinning fast enough could cause a current to be generated and sent back to the power source it came from....

Mopard
04-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Just pop the back panel off ... very simple to do ... then use gentle compressed air to clean everything out blowing air in the proper direction. Really, it is VERY simple to do and the only way to do it properly. You can also hold the fans from over-spinning this way also and be sure everything is CLEAN. I tried the vacuum/soft bristle method then opened it up because I knew it didn't do a very good job and I'm glad I did ... lots of dust still inside ... but clean as a whistle now.