PDA

View Full Version : is there a way to save energy in the 460m?

spamme
06-26-2012, 02:16 AM
as the cpu can work in idle mode with just 798mhz, is there a way to do the same with the gpu so the fan can be at low work thus reducing the noise? (good for keeping the laptop on overnight)

xeromist
06-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Yes, the GPU is already working at a lower level when not gaming. If the fans are noisy you might want to try cleaning dust out with compressed air.

Zygomorphic
06-27-2012, 12:03 AM
The nVidia cards will do power-saving on their own. It is dependent on the workload, so your power-saving values may vary. When compared with the 500M-series, the 400M-series video cards have greater power-consumption and less aggressive power-saving strategies. There is nothing you can do about that. Aero, because it hits the GPU, can have an impact on power-saving.

Rather than keeping it on, sleep it. Resume takes but a few seconds, and it cuts the power usage from 25W down to 1-5W or less.

spamme
06-27-2012, 12:35 AM
the fans are not working at full load all the time, they have 3 stages, right? idle (or very very quiet), middle, wich runs most of the time and intensive when you are using lots of resources.
I can see using hwinfo64 that while the cpu is at a stable 798mhz while Im just using windows, I can also see that the gpu is at 1350mhz all the time.
so that was the question, if there's any way or software that handles the resources of the gpu in a more optimized way.
there's no aero since it's windows 8, it was like this in W7 as well though.
about sleeping, the point is to download lots of stuff overnight.

iluvatar
06-27-2012, 07:10 AM
When using power saver plan, my gpu drops to 101mhz. You might need to look at the speeds for a while, when I open gpu-z the speed is first at 1350 and then drops to 405 and 101 after about 30sec.

Zygomorphic
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Make sure that you are running the latest nVidia drivers. That will help the power-saving. Also, like @illuvatar said, it takes time for the video card to down-clock back to idle speeds. Mine (560M) just does it a little faster. Unfortunately, I do not think there is a throttle-start :) for GPUs. Any chance you have a different computer to download on? Even a netbook will download quickly, and you can copy the data across. Just a thought.

The fans a ramped based upon the internal temperature, not based upon the speed state. Be grateful that yours is cooling properly, @illuvatar had to clean his out to get the system to stop throttling due to heat. Aero still exists--modified--in Windows 8. But goodness! How much are you downloading! Are you a dev for some OS project getting the latest source&data tree?

spamme
06-27-2012, 11:04 PM
first of all, thanks for the replies guys.
I am using the 304.48 driver, maybe I did not install something important when installing W8? It is really steady at 1350mhz.

"But goodness! How much are you downloading! Are you a dev for some OS project getting the latest source&data tree?"
I am downloading data from CERN hehe