PDA

View Full Version : G55VW - RAID 0 configuration

rampig
06-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Dear all,

since my country, Malaysia shipped the G55VW models with only one 2.5" 1TB HDD (without utilizing mSATA slot), so i would love to know that is it "practically" possible for the following RAID 0 configuration in G55VW

- 2 SSD (2.5" SSD + mSATA SSD)
- 2 hybrid drive (2.5" hybrid + mSATA hybrid)
- to enable RAID 0, must it be exactly TWO same model of HDD / SDD / Hybrid drive?

thx in adv as the answer may decide my future upgrade for G55VW:p

rampig
06-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Dear MarshallR,

since no reply from the rest, may i directly seek your advice as your article "G55VW Upgrade Guide" did briefly mentioned about enabling RAID via BIOS...so, i would love to know more about all the possible RAID configuration

looking forward your clarification and thx in adv

Zygomorphic
06-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Dear all,

since my country, Malaysia shipped the G55VW models with only one 2.5" 1TB HDD (without utilizing mSATA slot), so i would love to know that is it "practically" possible for the following RAID 0 configuration in G55VW

- 2 SSD (2.5" SSD + mSATA SSD)
- 2 hybrid drive (2.5" hybrid + mSATA hybrid)
- to enable RAID 0, must it be exactly TWO same model of HDD / SDD / Hybrid drive?

thx in adv as the answer may decide my future upgrade for G55VW:p

I do not believe there is any way to RAID on the G55, since there is only one 2.5" slot. On the G75, which has 2, I know that it is possible. On the G55, the best way to speed up the system is to run an mSata boot drive, and leave the HDD in place. Alternately, upgrade the HDD as well to a 750 GB 7200 RPM drive. There are several of those that run quite well.

Just a little patience please. :) We are all humans...except for @chrsplmr and @hivisman. The former is crazy...the latter is crazy crazy ;)

rampig
06-28-2012, 04:27 AM
Zygomorphic, thx for your reply and pls forgive my surplus excitements (over my patience:p)

from what you hv suggested, "the best way to speed up the system is to run an mSata boot drive, and leave the HDD in place..."
- is it to setup a small mSATA SSD as a caching drive to support the 2.5″ HDD?
- or install a larger mSATA SSD to house the entire OS and recovery partition?