PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade

RAH66fire
06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Is the G75VW motherboard upgradable? Just bought G75VW from Best Buy has the slower i7-3610QM and low-end GTX 660M. Want to install or buy new motherboard with i7-3720QM or faster and better graphics Nvidia geForce GTX 680M.

Myk SilentShadow
06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Sorry, not possible...but, don't take this the wrong way....this will teach you to make sure you read the details before you purchase...THOUGH, having said that, if you just bought the G75VW...take it back and get the one you want :)

Edit: Oh and as a side note, I don't think any of the G75's have the 680M GPU either, the best you can get is the 660M in them....from what I have read, the 660M is better than the 670M

ForCeV
06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
I doubt why everybody say 660m is better than the 670m,, Is it because of a kepler chipset?? However, the performance of 670m is greater than 660m even-though 660m can overclock it. IDK what is a benefit of kepler chips(lowend 660m) ....
If the reason is low voltage, saving electic consumption, I don't agree that 660M(Kepler) is better than 670M(Fermi).

Brian_ROG
06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Myk SilentShadow is right that you cannot get a 680M in the G75 as of right now. Best you can get is the 670M or the 660M. I have the
670M and 3720QM processor in the Newegg.com version NS-72, it will cost you $2169, right now on Newegg if that is what you want, comes with pretty much everything. Look at my signiture for the info on my machine and here is a link to the product on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230409

As to ForCeV's post, I agree and believe that the 670M is better even if its based off the older Fermi Architecture. I'm not saying that the
660M isn't a great card but performance of the 670M is better than the 660M. I don't like to overclock my GPU and you would have to do that to get to the performance of the 670M, maybe. I also don't really care about the possibility of it running a little hotter. This machine is designed to handle the heat and I use a cooling mat if playing games for an extended period of time. My machine never gets very warm anyway and most of the time its sitting in my lap.

ForCeV
06-27-2012, 04:19 AM
I agree with Brian_ROG, As I said 670M performance is better than 660M, but I don't say that 660M is weaker card. However, I didn't have information how much 660M handle really lower temperture than 670M, so I just write that because everyone say that get a 660M one.. So I was..... you know haha.

Ricky
11-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I agree with Brian_ROG, As I said 670M performance is better than 660M, but I don't say that 660M is weaker card. However, I didn't have information how much 660M handle really lower temperture than 670M, so I just write that because everyone say that get a 660M one.. So I was..... you know haha.

My experience GTX 660M temps when idle was 38'C

Pitcher@asus
11-28-2012, 02:09 AM
HI, is your unit always in high temps when idle? how about play games or normal used? is it same high temps?

madnj
11-28-2012, 04:16 AM
The 660m uses newer architecture and can easily be overclocked to match/exceed the 670m performance. The reason people are recommending the 660m is that you can get a Best Buy model G75 with the 660m for significantly less money and after mildly overclocking get similar or better performance than a 670 (the 670 can be overclocked too, but it'll run hotter and when maxing out overclock, I wouldn't be surprised if the 660m can still beat the 670).

Honestly though, if looking for a new G75, I'd just wait for the G75-VX models to be available (a month?) and get one with the 670mx which is based on the kepler architecture and will beat out both the 660m and 670m by a decent margin.

As for CPU upgrade, you could get a higher speed CPU, but you'd void your warranty and would need to completely disassemble the laptop to replace it, and unless you are doing VERY processor intensive work you really won't see much benefit. I'd be shocked if there's much of a framerate differential in games between similar systems with the same GPU but different CPUs.

That said, it seems like an astronomical waste to have spent money on a brand new G75 and want to essentially strip it down and buy a new processor/GPU. If you want a higher end CPU/GPU, you'd have been best served to go Alienware/Sager and get something built to order although I personally really appreciate the styling of ASUS laptops over their competition for what it's worth.

Personally if you don't need the G75 you purchased currently, I'd probably return it and wait for the G75-VX model which should be available before the new year here in the US and is already available in some countries overseas. Heck, if you are willing to spend the money, you can likely buy a top model of the G75-VX when it's out with the 670mx GPU and reasonably high end CPU.

My 2 cents, and maybe more.

EDIT - And one more thing... If the reason for looking at upgrading things is due to low performance of the Best Buy G75, your absolute FIRST order of business should be to replace the ABYSMALLY SLOW 5400 RPM 1TB HDD it ships with. If you haven't done so already, buy an SSD or at minimum 7200 RPM hybrid Seagate Momentus XT drive and move the OS to it and use the 1TB as storage only. I wouldn't even install games on it due to just how slow the drive that comes in the Best Buy model performs. It's great for storage, but nothing else.

Also, the Best Buy G75 comes with 8GB of RAM which might be enough for you (it is for most people), but if you want another cheap upgrade, you can buy a pair of 4GB laptop memory sticks and bring the system up to 16GB which is more than enough for almost anyone. While some people are running 32GB, unless you are using your system as a major database server or doing some insanely RAM intensive program work you simply will NOT use close to that. Maybe if you ran 10 virtual machines? But if you'd be doing that, the G75 and any laptop for that matter will run like crap due to the high I/O demand of all of those VMs.

Long edit, but I wanted to clear up a few things about the Best Buy model of which I'm another VERY HAPPY owner. I personally think it's one hell of a bargain after a couple of cheap upgrades.

EDIT EDIT - Stupidly called the 670mx a 675m (which I think it SHOULD be called :P)